Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
does anybody know how to remove a spare wheel from a elddis autoquest 100 as ive tried to remove it and cant work out how to do it ive read the owners manual and have now given up please somebody must know

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never tried it myself but when we had the tyres changed last month I think the fitter said you have to undo two bolts. He also commented that it was a bit tough to do so.

We have never had the spare off since buying the van in June 2006 and I don't know whether the wheel had ever been off since the van was new (nearly 6 years old). Presumably there was some sort of build up of muck/corrosion.

He told me that he had cleaned/greased the bolts when he put the wheel back and that I would need a 14mm socket to use on them if I want to remove the wheel myself.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just had a look under the van and taken a couple of photos. Didn't try to remove the wheel but I'm pretty sure I know how it's done now.

The wheel is supported by a cage between the rear of the vehicle and the grey waste tank. At the front the cage is hooked onto two supports (see first picture). At the rear the cage is supported by two fittings through which long bolts go to hold it in place (see second picture).

It appears that you have to slacken off the bolts sufficiently to allow the rear of the cage to be freed and then swung down to allow the wheel to be removed.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• spare wheel front.jpg
    spare wheel front.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 112
  • spare wheel rear.jpg
    spare wheel rear.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 104

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Looks very much like the one on our old McLouis (The new van doesn't have a spare !) I had problems getting the spare out to check it for pressure etc and needed a lot of releasing spray and much swearing before I finally got it off ::bigsmile:
Needless to say it was well lubricated before fitting it back.:RollEyes:

OP
OP
shardav

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
thanks for the pictures its different to yours and i have a 2007 and there seems to be one bolt to undo but it wont budge

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi
Yes those 2 rusty j shaped brakets are the front mountings and the bolts that are shown going through them have to be undone. It will be a job so try a blowtorch to heat the joint up and some release oil. The heat will usually do it but you may have to heat it up for 5 mins or so.

Undo the bolts and you can then unhook the front of the frame from the 2 "j"s beware the tyre may be heavy but you may have a couple of safety chains to help you.

When you have got the bolts undone give the threads a good sloshing of copper grease and make sure they are all nice and free. Once every so often (6 months or so) undoe each on in turn and regrease to keep them free. Saves you straining on the side of the road if you get a flat.

Aslo consider getting a large bin liner and putting the tyre in this to keep it clean. if the bolt holes are covered in road dirt this can make seating the nuts difficult until you have cleaned them.

You can also get an 8in valve extension to attach to the valve so you can check and inlfate the tyre witout having to crawl too much. £3.99 off ebay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
thanks for the pictures its different to yours and i have a 2007 and there seems to be one bolt to undo but it wont budge

Pity, ours is a 2004. As I mentioned, the tyre fitter found it difficult to undo the bolts so the suggestion of heat and oil sounds a good-un.

Graham

OP
OP
shardav

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
trouble is graham it only has one bolt and then a cable that lowers the wheel down and according to the manual you just turn it and down it comes well mine doesn't :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back