Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
We are catching an early morning ferry to France and could do with getting down to Portsmouth the night before. Is there anywhere to park near Portsmouth where we can have a nap and be ready for the early start?

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Not sure but i believe you can park at the terminal....others will come up and verify....Have a nice trip...Dave

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You could try Portsdown Hill just before you come into Pompey proper. Great viewpoint with a good pub, The Churchillian, which does good food. There is also Mick's MegaBurger van which has been there for years and is very popular.

Come down the old A3, turn off left at Widley's Christ Church. Past the George Inn, Admiral Nelson's stop-off on his way to London, continue for quarter of a mile, parking either side of road. I'd recommend right side, turn in at The Churchillian, 100 yards along the lane onto parking area, fantastic views to the Isle of Wight etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
I assume you will travel down the A34 too its junction with the M3. Along the A34 there are a number of smallish service areas where I saw a lot of people pulling in too have a kip and a bite to eat. I reckon from there its about 45mins too the ferry Port.

The ferry port is relativley small because of the large volume of traffic entering and exiting the various ferries. There is one area that I saw where a few mh's were parked but not a lot of sapce.

If you pull into the ferry port, have a look around and cant find anywhere, there are pleanty of places to park outside, you just have to have a wander too find them.

There is a beach road that you can park on but I cant recall the directions too it.

I'm sure somebody from Pompey will come on and tell you.

Jim
:Smile:

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
We parked at the terminal year before last. as you enter terminal car park, keep to left hand side near fence there were 3 outfits parked overnight, and all was well:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We parked at the terminal year before last. as you enter terminal car park, keep to left hand side near fence there were 3 outfits parked overnight, and all was well:thumb:

Thats the bit that I spotted over to the left against the fence.

Jim
:Smile:

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
You could try Portsdown Hill just before you come into Pompey proper. Great viewpoint with a good pub, The Churchillian, which does good food. There is also Mick's MegaBurger van which has been there for years and is very popular.

Come down the old A3, turn off left at Widley's Christ Church. Past the George Inn, Admiral Nelson's stop-off on his way to London, continue for quarter of a mile, parking either side of road. I'd recommend right side, turn in at The Churchillian, 100 yards along the lane onto parking area, fantastic views to the Isle of Wight etc.

Just beware that if it's a Friday night then that spot is renowned for other stuff (hetrosexual) and you will possibly get cars coming and going, although it is a lovely spot and well hidden away.

The one on the south side is very obvious so you shouldn't have any trouble, however in my teens we used to sit there with our bottles of cider... but we were harmless! The Army occassionally turn up with their tanks as the burger van is THAT good! And the views are awesome.

90joe

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Funster No
The Bold Forester 18th Century Pub.
Forester Rd, Soberton Heath, Hampshire, SO32 3QG.

Just off the A32.
Ideal for exploring Portsmouth, Southampton and surrounding areas.
Ideal as stop off for Portsmouth ferries.
Large car park.
Buy a pint (or two) stay the night. Pub has Restaurant and on a Wednesday night it has a fish & chip van in the car park and you can take your purchases into the pub to enjoy with your pint.

Turn up or phone Jim the landlord on 01329833276. :thumb:

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi, Hayling Island, over the bridge about half a mile on the right there is an Esso garage, turn in right on far side of garage as you approach it, up short lane past barriered carpark, we stayed at the far corner of this carpark ourselves last friday very quiet only dog walkers in the morning we had very peaceful night.

If you want a cheap pub meal there is a carvery 10/15 mins further on, stay on main road straight on at r/about "towards funfair" carvery on right with big carpark.:thumb:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
From what I've been told, parking in the terminal is not a problem. I'll be doing the same in June. If you're going before then, please let us know if the info's correct.

sequinn

Free Member
May 12, 2013
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since July 2012
We have booked in at the Bold Forester..... will let you know what its like

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
We have booked in at the Bold Forester..... will let you know what its like

Unless the OP has a time machine, that's not going to be a lot of help! ::bigsmile:

sequinn

Free Member
May 12, 2013
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since July 2012
We parked in a large, quiet, free car park @ Port Solent. No restrictions posted. No one questioned our 1 night stop over. Picturesque marina with varied restaurants & public toilet. Views across the estuary to Portchester Castle. 15 mins drive to the ferry port.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back