How much will you pay or have paid for a campsite (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ive been enjoying the thread about the daftest things a warden has said to you and having put my two peneth in about what I think of clubs sites I started wondering how much people would be prepared to pay or have paid for a nights camping.

People probably think im just being tight but I dont like paying more than a tenner (if I have to pay anything at all that is).

Whats the most you have paid, where and why?

Whats the most you would be prepared to pay?

I have heard some horror stories about some campsites in Europe costing over £40 and I know of some friends who paid nearly this much in Italy. Surely this isnt the norm though.

Thanks
Barry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ive been enjoying the thread about the daftest things a warden has said to you and having put my two peneth in about what I think of clubs sites I started wondering how much people would be prepared to pay or have paid for a nights camping.

People probably think im just being tight but I dont like paying more than a tenner (if I have to pay anything at all that is).

Whats the most you have paid, where and why?

Whats the most you would be prepared to pay?

I have heard some horror stories about some campsites in Europe costing over £40 and I know of some friends who paid nearly this much in Ita
ly. Surely this isnt the norm though.

Thanks
Barry

wow, Barry. You need to get out more mate::bigsmile: we have paid in excess of £60 per night for a site, and friends of ours have paid nearer £70. WHY?
Holiday hotspots in the summer holidays. kids and all the other excesses. We rarely do pay that much but if the sites worth it, helps keeps the kids entertained, has what we want we will pay it.
We balance this up by using aires or wild camping for many other nights. so it lessens the cost of a holiday.
Normally £20 in this country would be our limit but even then we rarely stay on sites over here.:thumb:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Here in Spain if you have a Spanish reg its less i have found when I go with my Spanish friends I let them do all the talking and booking in that way we pay about 15 euros a night sometimes with elc but they dont like to pay so we do a lot of free parks they know all the places to go and even in the summer we have not been moved on:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Paid £33 pn last year at holgates near arnside lancs cos of pool bar etc only stayed two nights just to try it. Good site and would go again but not more than two nights at that price usually happy to pay around £17 for decent site. But only if they sell tea bags :)

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
wow, Barry. You need to get out more mate::bigsmile: we have paid in excess of £60 per night for a site, and friends of ours have paid nearer £70. WHY?
Holiday hotspots in the summer holidays. kids and all the other excesses. We rarely do pay that much but if the sites worth it, helps keeps the kids entertained, has what we want we will pay it.
We balance this up by using aires or wild camping for many other nights. so it lessens the cost of a holiday.
Normally £20 in this country would be our limit but even then we rarely stay on sites over here.:thumb:

:Eeek: £70!!!!! Clearly I have no idea! I would expect my own pool, hot tub and Swiss masseur for that!

I can see your point about summer holidays and kids to entertain but that would break my heart!

Right bring on the tight Yorkshire man comments.

Can anyone top that (£70)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Barry

As Haganap has said sites abroad can be really expensive, especially in the height of the season. When camping in the UK we try to balance the costs out. We have been looking for a site in Bath for when we visit for a couple of nights in April. We have been quoted £29 per night at one and £24 per night at another. This is balanced out by spending the previous 4 nights at the Three Magpies near Devizes at £9.50 per night inc EHU. When we leave Bath we are moving on to an MCC Rally at only £3.50 per night with no facilities. When abroad we use the Aires and Municipal sites as much as possible to keep costs down.

Brisey

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
wow, Barry. You need to get out more mate::bigsmile: we have paid in excess of £60 per night for a site, and friends of ours have paid nearer £70. :

and they say that NHS Staff are underpaid :RollEyes: :roflmto: :ROFLMAO:

I have never nor would ever pay that of a site.. but like Barry we seldom use sites in any country.

The exception was a three month winter stay at Roquetas camping in Spain 06/07 which worked out about £10 per night including EHU

In the UK , CLs,, up to a tenner and very very occasionally a club site if there is no CL near where we want to be.

France we only use Aires, free or a few euro and the occasional municipal site, up to about 14 euro Never used a commercial site in France or Germany

EDIT

I forgot we have stayed at Parc Verger .. an exceptionally good site which isn't run by Dick Turpin or Robin Hood

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
:
Right bring on the tight Yorkshire man comments.

I'm from the cissy south so don't have anything to say But for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would pay a fortune for a motorhome and then pay to park it on a campsite. May as well go in a travellodge

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
we've paid in excess of £40 in France but that was only once. I prefer to pay as little as possiable if anything.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have never nor would ever pay that of a site.. but like Barry we seldom use sites in any country.

Nice one Jim

A Scot and a Yorkshire man who dont like paying loads for camping! A trend starting here perhaps.

I have to agree. You pay a fortune for a van thats pretty much self sufficient. Why pay a fortune to park it.

The French have the right attitude. They will avoid paying anything for camping at all costs.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Last year when we first got our a van, we had some tompson vouchers so booked a haven site with alll facilities which cost us £20 a night in July. Which considering it had evening entertainment and stuff for the kids to do I didnt think was bad.

On the other hand we have stayed at Colchester Camping before which has nice pitches and a shop but little else, when we enquired a few weeks ago they wanted
something like £28 a night, which we refuse to pay as there is so little there.

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
In France and Germany we never stay on a site only use aire or stellplatz.Max paid in UK was 15 pounds.
Coming to UK for June / July booked in for 2 months 50 pounds a week.

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
People probably think im just being tight but I dont like paying more than a £1
Thanks
Barry[/QUOTE]

How muuuuch!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
The French have the right attitude. They will avoid paying anything for camping at all costs.[/QUOTE]

You've got to love the French.
We pulled into an aire last summer. It was free overnight with a 7 euro charge for ehu and 2 euros for water. Kath wanted to use her hair dryer, so I hooked up.
I noticed, as I did, that the other vans (all French plus one dutch) were not hooked up. At 7pm a French lady turned up in a car to collect the money, she got my 7 euros and went home.
Immediately all the French van owners got their cables out and hooked up, for free.
The Dutch guy and me just looked at one another in amazement and laughed, although deep down inside I was distraught beyond reason, it took a while to get over the needless loss of that 7 euros.

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
paid nothing last year ,and hope to carry on the trend this year,keep wilding :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Des and Donna got snaffled a couple of times on the French riviera for £60 a night

Most we have paid is £24.00 but that was in the UK, peak season with a fabulous club house and a show thrown in

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the most we have paid was about €25 per night incl. EHU at Sovicile near Siena. Would use it again as we like the site and a bus calls to take you into Siena.

Otherwise, free aires whenever possible (but most sostas require a fee in Italy - typically up to €10) and in the UK, up to £10 for a CS. Don't want EHU generally and resent paying for it on an inclusive basis without the option.

Philip

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The French have the right attitude. They will avoid paying anything for camping at all costs.

You've got to love the French.

They do hate paying, that's for sure.

We used watch the French leave the aire before 8am then return later on after the Municipal Police had round for the money .. Not just one day, but maybe for a week or more .. One had the brass neck to leave levelling blocks to reserve his place :roflmto:

Another trick they use is to pay for just one ehu and the rest piggy back onto it ..

A French motorhomer put me wise to this one. ..

On Pre Pay ticket machines, time it correctly , just before the Police come round you buy a ticket .. it's still valid when he comes round the following day , so pay only every second day ..

and they call Jocks tight ... :roflmto: we are but amateurs compared to the French:RollEyes:

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Quote: Scotjimland
On Pre Pay ticket machines, time it correctly , just before the Police come round buy a ticket .. it's still valid when he comes round the following day , so pay only every second day ..

Noted and tucked away for next time.......

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
A French couple came onto the CL in Devon at Christmas late afternoon, borrowed my hose and clearly made no attempt to go up to the farm and pay. They stayed one night and left early in the morning. I think its funny that they beleive its there god given right to park their MH wherever they like for free (im all for that by the way). I remember a few places in Brittany with no camping signs up and full of French MH. We just joined in of course.

So it looks like the £70 campsite must be a record. I have to say Im gobsmacked. It looks like we are divided into two camps. Freeloaders like me and people who want all singing all dancing sites and are prepared to part with wods of cash for the right site.

Am I missing something on these 5 star sites? Do you all do swinging or what, free beer?. It cant be a better view than some of the free spots I could mention.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi £75 a night Burnham on sea Haven site, wanted somewhere at the last minute, last Easter with stuff to do for the grandson. They only charged us £150 for 4 nights as we spent two nights on a spare bit of grass, as the site was fully booked.

Even at the full rate, where are you going to get hotel wise, for 3 adults plus child, with entertainment thrown in for £75 a night? We have also spent a week on the side of the Targus near Lisbon for nowt, when there was just the two of us.

We look at what we want to achieve, and go from there, if we have the grandson and daughter, sitting in an empty field, ain't going to cut it. While on our own its fine.

Olley

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
hate to pay anything at all but easter were going to silloth for 3 nights hundred and odd can t remember exactly but only paying it cos taking grandaughter and need swimming pools entertainment etc and it s her 7th birthday on good friday :Smile:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
£75!!!! The new target to beat! Unbelievable.

Right I dont have children but there seems to be some suggesting that they are prepared to spend lots of money for a pitch so the kiddies can have swimming pools, slides, entertainment, etc.

Now its not that long since I was a kid (well it is really) going camping with my dad in the lakes. We camped either on small sites or in the hills and made our own entertainment. Playing with other kids, making catapults and playing in the rivers and streams or having a kick about or going canoeing etc etc. My dad used to just turf us out and let us get on with it. Fantastic. Why is it kids seem to take priority these days and have to have entertainment layed on for them? Sorry for being a moning old git who clearly doesnt understand anything about the modern world including campsite fees and children!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Barry, thats what my dad did when we camped in Bude (went there about 8 years running) in the late 50's, but times change, and he's only 4, so kicking him out to amuse himself is a bit of a non-starter. ::bigsmile:

Now granddad is quite happy to kick a ball etc. for a while, but there's only so much you can do in an empty field. Swimming, playgrounds etc. all involve driving, something I prefer to keep to a minimum on holiday. I played ball with him in the morning, daughter and wife did stuff with him in the afternoon, I relaxed with a good book, everybody's happy.::bigsmile:

We all have our own ideas on how to spend our money, there's no wrong, only different.

Olley

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Barry, thats what my dad did when we camped in Bude (went there about 8 years running) in the late 50's, but times change, and he's only 4, so kicking him out to amuse himself is a bit of a non-starter. ::bigsmile:

Now granddad is quite happy to kick a ball etc. for a while, but there's only so much you can do in an empty field. Swimming, playgrounds etc. all involve driving, something I prefer to keep to a minimum on holiday. I played ball with him in the morning, daughter and wife did stuff with him in the afternoon, I relaxed with a good book, everybody's happy.::bigsmile:

We all have our own ideas on how to spend our money, there's no wrong, only different.

Olley

No your quite right Olley, please dont think Im suggesting otherwise. Its not for me to judge. I dare say when I was a kid if dad had taken us to an all singing all dancing campsite we would have probably loved it as well. I know nothing about children so I certainly wont start telling people what they should do with them! I imagine with a 4 year old its quite a challenge!

its an interesting debate though and it goes to show how differently we all approach our motorhome life and how and where we spend it. I dare say if Mrs D and I had children our requirements would be much different. We wouldnt have a scooter for a start so straight away somewhere more convenient and nearer attractions would become a priority. I have to say though no matter what. I would never have or would pay £75 a night (or even half that for that matter!)

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Barry

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
jeekers. £75 ? I can't top that.

I did pay €65 for one night on a "Les Castels" site in Brittany last summer !

I think I was in shock when I paid. 1 night there cost more that we paid for 5 nights in the previous Les Castels site further south.
It did seem like a site with lots of kids activities, but all we really wanted was an overnight to be closer to the roscoff ferry the next day. €65. :Doh:

Pitches were tiny, and you were allocated a pitch, didnt get to have a look & chose one.

If I hadn't been in shock, I think I would have left.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi barry to me and I suspect to anybody but fulltimers, campsite fees are small part of our yearly motorhome expenditure. Since I bought it in 05, depreciation will have been around £5000 per year, add in fuel, insurance, road tax, maintenance etc. and your up to maybe £7000 per year, so even if I spent a grand a year on sites, its still only around 15% of my running costs.

Something that many people forget, they imagine that their motorhome is a cheap way of having a holiday, but that's rarely the case.

Olley

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
jeekers. £75 ? I can't top that.

I did pay €65 for one night on a "Les Castels" site in Brittany last summer !

I think I was in shock when I paid. 1 night there cost more that we paid for 5 nights in the previous Les Castels site further south.
It did seem like a site with lots of kids activities, but all we really wanted was an overnight to be closer to the roscoff ferry the next day. €65. :Doh:

Pitches were tiny, and you were allocated a pitch, didnt get to have a look & chose one.

If I hadn't been in shock, I think I would have left.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a lovely aire at Roscoff overlooking the sea and I think, dare I say it? Its free.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
An excellent thread. Especially as I'm a tight git Welshman looking forward to his 1st year of motorhoming. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back