Using bottled gas ? (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Im in Benidorm and intened to stay a while but my domestic LPG tank is alomost empty and the nearest place according to Ollies INVALUABLE guide to stations in spain is alicante which is a 70 mile round trip.
Ive seen other RVs on sites with bottles outside, how do they connect them up, can I go to a gas bottle filling depot and get my tank filled up ??

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
people using bottles who also have a fixed tank are using an extend a stay, which needs fitting. Unless you are adept at gas plumbing you need a speciallist installer. I have never seen one but suspect it is a "T" junction added after the cutoff valve leading to a pipe with another cut off valve and a bottle regulator. you could always try a bottle refilling depot, or just look for a station (Reptol? not sure of the spelling)where you can refill, ask around someone will know the answer. Good luck Dave Evans (member here)at Cannock fitted an extend a stay for smudger before he left for Portugal.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You need one of these in the pic older stock available at around £80-£100 if you can find one
New stock from the states due to poor doller exchange rates about £130 ish
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• !BkKWb)!BWk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEsnul0o3)BLWZq4WFnQ~~_35.jpg
    !BkKWb)!BWk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEsnul0o3)BLWZq4WFnQ~~_35.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 48

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
The big hardware shop near Mercadonna at Albir does a lot of gas stuff. I got the Camping Gaz 907 exchange cylinders there for 10.7 Euros, which cost £19 at Brownhills. They don't have the Camping Gaz seal on and were about a pound weight lighter than the genuine Camping Gaz ones from Brownhills, but still good at that price :thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Although I have an Extend-A-Stay-Tee, I have not fitted it due to not having the correct pipe connections. So I went to Don Bicolage and bought a Brass 'T' which I fitted AFTER the US Regulator. Fitted an LPG pipe and a normal Spanish Regulator and Bottles. Works for me and has done for the last 9 Years on various RV's. :thumb:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
The big hardware shop near Mercadonna at Albir does a lot of gas stuff. I got the Camping Gaz 907 exchange cylinders there for 10.7 Euros, which cost £19 at Brownhills. They don't have the Camping Gaz seal on and were about a pound weight lighter than the genuine Camping Gaz ones from Brownhills, but still good at that price :thumb:

so what is a camping gaz exchange cylinder ?? is this a different thing to an extenda-stay ?

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Had the same problem with re filling my GasLow bottles, i.e. availability.
Picked up a 13 kg Repsol bottle from a local flea market for €6, exchanged for full at Repsol for €9. Then bought a local regulator and hose for €8 and using a T piece plumbed it into main line from GasLow. Now when I run out simply matter of switching to GasLow, un connect 13kg, valve is one way, replace at garage and back on 13kg bottle. Therefore GasLow is only actualy used during change over, 30 minutes. Temporarly fitted a gas detector in hold where 13kg is kept, no problems.
JK

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Jackomet - Got any photos of your setup ? :Smile:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Had the same problem with re filling my GasLow bottles, i.e. availability.
Picked up a 13 kg Repsol bottle from a local flea market for €6, exchanged for full at Repsol for €9. Then bought a local regulator and hose for €8 and using a T piece plumbed it into main line from GasLow. Now when I run out simply matter of switching to GasLow, un connect 13kg, valve is one way, replace at garage and back on 13kg bottle. Therefore GasLow is only actualy used during change over, 30 minutes. Temporarly fitted a gas detector in hold where 13kg is kept, no problems.
JK

when you say plumbed in do you mean onto the rubber hose with jubilee clips or a proper welding job ?

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
As I said, I use Gaslow so need to remove now and then therefore clips.
JK

Attachments

• Gas.jpg
    Gas.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Gas 3.jpg
    Gas 3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 34

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
gas bottles

if you buy a spanish regulator with the screw thread on, you can then buy at the camping shop in albir (near mercadonna) a pigtail with a screw thread at each end.
one fits the regulator and the other end fits the thread at the regulator.
they are not cheap 19e and the regulator is about 10e.
the bottles have a deposit of 30e, i bought one from the flea market for 10e.
then the gas is about 11e.
there were a lot of people with this set up at albir.
we´re now at gandia 23 degrees today and loverly.
no free wi-fi though now have to pay

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
but my motorhome is an RV with a LPG tank fixed on, the rubber pipe looks like its bolted on, do I detatch this to attach one way or another to a spanish bottled system, seems a bit dangerous to me ?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Scotlandjim knows about extend a stay's. If I were you I would wander over too the other rv's and ask them how their doing it.

Jim
:Smile:

Edit: When they tell you let us know

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Im in Benidorm and intened to stay a while but my domestic LPG tank is alomost empty and the nearest place according to Ollies INVALUABLE guide to stations in spain is alicante which is a 70 mile round trip.
Ive seen other RVs on sites with bottles outside, how do they connect them up, can I go to a gas bottle filling depot and get my tank filled up ??

If all else fails, go buy a Sapnish gas fired barby :ROFLMAO:

Jim
:winky:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
but my motorhome is an RV with a LPG tank fixed on, the rubber pipe looks like its bolted on, do I detatch this to attach one way or another to a spanish bottled system, seems a bit dangerous to me ?

:RollEyes: If YOUR rubber pipe is AFTER the US Tank & Regulator and IF your rubber pipe is a flexible rubber pipe? Then the EASIEST and SAFEST way WITHOUT and Extend-A-Stay-Tee is to BUY a brass 'T' piece from Don Bricolage. Then CUT the rubber pipe about 12 inches away from the connection. Connect the cut parts with the 'T' piece and another length of LPG pipe to connect it to a STANDARD Spanish gas bottle and regulator. Works for me and has done for YEARS. As I have previously mentioned within THIS thread. :thumb:

Forgot to mention. If you cannot fit the gas bottle on a compartment next to the US Tank? Then when you come to MOVE, disconnect the LPG tube to the Spanish gas bottle and fit a BLANK into the end of a short piece of tube. BTW. I am NOT going out in the rain to photograph MY installation.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
:RollEyes: If YOUR rubber pipe is AFTER the US Tank & Regulator and IF your rubber pipe is a flexible rubber pipe? Then the EASIEST and SAFEST way WITHOUT and Extend-A-Stay-Tee is to BUY a brass 'T' piece from Don Bricolage. Then CUT the rubber pipe about 12 inches away from the connection. Connect the cut parts with the 'T' piece and another length of LPG pipe to connect it to a STANDARD Spanish gas bottle and regulator. Works for me and has done for YEARS. As I have previously mentioned within THIS thread. :thumb:

Forgot to mention. If you cannot fit the gas bottle on a compartment next to the US Tank? Then when you come to MOVE, disconnect the LPG tube to the Spanish gas bottle and fit a BLANK into the end of a short piece of tube. BTW. I am NOT going out in the rain to photograph MY installation.
So just to clarify the T piece is added to my existing rubber pipe using jubilee clips ?

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I can hear the bang from here. I wouldn't mess with and LPG installation, it could become really messy !!

Jim
:Smile:

:RollEyes: NINE years and counting. I WAS a Plumber once and installed Gas, Oil & Solid fuel Central heating. :thumb:

The PROBLEM is when you cut into the Liquid (High Pressure) side and use Jubilee clips. THAT is a NONO. On the Gas take off side the pressure is LOW.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back