GOOGLE CHROME OS - Operating System of the future (1 Viewer)

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
GOOGLE CHROME OS - Operating System of the future
Google are releasing a new online operating system by the end of the year called Google Chrome OS (Open Source). It is set to replace Windows as far a Netbooks are concerned, the computers it is aimed at.

• There are no equivalant of Taskbar, no Registry and no Desktop Icons. If you can use a Browser you can use Chrome OS.
  • There is no chance of virus's as all Apps are on the Web and isolated from each other
  • Boots up in seconds. This is because the Interface in on the Web so nothing to load. It will be as quick as turning on the TV.
  • Cheap to buy. As it will be pre-installed on Netbooks and is free it will bring down the price substantially. I would presume you will be able to get it for current ones too.
  • Online data storage, which means you will be able to access it from anywhere, on any computer. So stealing your lapbook does not mean you losing everything. I would assume you will have the option of storing Data locally as well/instead of.
  • No need for any software, it will be all online, though you will still be able to have your own if you want to I suppose.
  • Integrated Media Player so you can still watch films, listen to your own music, etc.
  • No Plug-ins required such as Adobe Reader, Flash and Silverlight. PDF files will be able to be read by the browser.
  • Open Source which allows developers to play around with Chrome OS and improve and enhance it.
  • Better battery life. Batteries could last all day as the Netbook will be working with nothing other than the screen.
There are obviously disadvantages as well, like what if the internet goes down?
It will make for a safer place for children to be on.

Now this sounds like my kind of system and I can see it being a real boom when all houses have internet access and for anyone who is not Computer literate and has difficulties sorting out crashes, etc. Can't wait for it and will certainly be having on our Netbooks.

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Don't like the idea of my data being stored on line. Also I want to chose what software I have. As you say what if you have no t'internet connection as wwe found at CL in Keswick? needs some more thought methinks. :Smile:

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Don't like the idea of my data being stored on line. Also I want to chose what software I have. As you say what if you have no t'internet connection as wwe found at CL in Keswick? needs some more thought methinks. :Smile:
I would assume online storage is an option, not compulsory

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Cloud cuckoo computing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Phil
Maybe for most adults but it makes for a safe environment for your children.
Many already work in an environment like this anyway. Work in an organisation that has a server? All your data is there anyway so it is no different really.:RollEyes:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe for most adults but it makes for a safe environment for your children.
Many already work in an environment like this anyway. Work in an organisation that has a server? All your data is there anyway so it is no different really.:RollEyes:

Never heard of cloud computing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Interesting post

Nice post JaG

I've tried Chrome and it seems a good browser but not enough to tempt me away from Firefox. The new system will be good if you have good broadband speed which is attractive for the low computing power netbooks. Security benefits are also interesting. Worth watching particularly when netbook prices come down, they're much too close to laptop prices at the moment in value terms. Interesting one to watch!

Cheers, Dave

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
I think this would be ideal for netbooks and it appears that most things that Google do are a success. They have the power, like M$ to encourage retailers to promote netbooks with their operating systems, unlike Linux etc.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
I think this would be ideal for netbooks and it appears that most things that Google do are a success. They have the power, like M$ to encourage retailers to promote netbooks with their operating systems, unlike Linux etc.
Thanks,
Nice to read something positive. It does have some good points, though no-one seems to want to acknowledge them. Thought I had grown horns for a moment, lol

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks,
Nice to read something positive. It does have some good points, though no-one seems to want to acknowledge them. Thought I had grown horns for a moment, lol

Even GB has some good points.

But consider you are on site with your dongle, you'd curse the day you ever heard the name Google.

It's as new as Yorkshire Puddlings, Bill Gates tried it on years ago. I think Oracle did too.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I worry about this trend, Jag.
When Google first took to the idea of cloud computing they were also thinking that the future would be WiMax. Those two together make some sense but since it looks like Google have lost the WiMax war to the telcoms with LET there is a very big problem.
As we move towards paying for data on the web, the overhead of cloud applications is going to make the cost much, much higher than it needs to be.
Another problem is that cloud apps will be always the latest versions. Many of us don't want our apps to be updated resulting in complete re-writes of macros and, worse, custom apps.
Do you really want to be in a situation where no internet connection means nothing works?
Ever noticed how every new version, especially Windows, loses more facility than you gain?
No. I have great respect for the Google philosophy but without WiMax I fear we are in for a lot of problems going down the cloud route.
Patrick (dinasaur programmer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)It's as new as Yorkshire Puddlings, Bill Gates tried it on years ago. I think Oracle did too.

Yes, it's simply Thin Client in a different guise.

Great for storing the data when it's on a private intranet in the organisation you work in (files in one place and automatic backups which I loved as a Data Protection Officer) but have they cracked the power needs of the software which otherwise needs to be at the client end?

Would I use it to store my data when there is the Internet (rather than a private intranet) between us? Not on your Nellie ::bigsmile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back