A new (recycled) member (1 Viewer)

carpe deum

Free Member
Feb 26, 2010
Funster No
I am new to the site - although not a new camper, used to big rigs for both full-time living & extended trips. I am an ex-pat presently living overseas but not driven to any extent in Europe for over 30 years, so out of touch with the place. The site is very informative (and funny) also a wealth of information, of which I probably just scratched the surface. A pleasant surprise is the amazing amount of overnight/camping (CL) sites now.
I have mainly been searching for info on the pros and cons of driving to northern Spain versus alternative routes, ie train/bus/plane and hotels/apartments and would appreciate being directed to anything on the site by people experienced in both (or either) fields. As the site is for motor-homers, I realize driving is most obvious, assuring a bed at all times which is most tempting. But as this a temporary stay, it has to be cost effective as I still have to eat and pay bills afterwards.
I have looked at a few dealers whose prices are much higher than the private sales. Do any offer ‘buy-back’? A tiny little rv (car-camper?) would do the job for a feeble old guy who is ‘keen to go’ & suggestions as to outlay necessary for a vehicle capable of making this journey . I am not a mechanic. Will also go further into the write-ups on IR trucks/insurances/Lh v Rhdrive issues, high prices, (fuel) & security risks.
Hope this is OK and means something to someone on the site and I will be very grateful to get other perspectives. Many thanks in anticipation.
Carpe deum!

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Hello & Welcome, there are good people on here that the answer to just about everything, apart for six winning number for the lottery:ROFLMAO:

Happy travels:thumb:

Dave & Family

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have mainly been searching for info on the pros and cons of driving to northern Spain versus alternative routes, ie train/bus/plane and hotels/apartments and would appreciate being directed to anything on the site by people experienced in both (or either) fields.
Carpe deum!

But where are you starting from !

OP
OP
C

carpe deum

Free Member
Feb 26, 2010
Funster No
to hilldweller

Briefly as I'm not sure about replying yet - probably start from London.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Briefly as I'm not sure about replying yet - probably start from London.

A step closer.

Almost certainly the cheapest and quickest way there is a budget airline.

So how long do you want to stay in Northern Spain ? Days/weeks/months ?

Southern Spain will have loads if cheap apartments and hotels, not so sure about northern.

Generally speaking a MH is the expensive way of doing it taking all the running costs into account.

Tramper 2

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Moreton Wirral Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Low Profile.
Exp
33 years off and on...
Hello and welcome, you will find this site very addictive, and pleasantly so, hope you find what you are looking for,I am sure you will, happy tramping..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site, whatever you need is here someplace or someone can point you towards it. do make good use of the search facility. We also have chatroom, and hold a quiz on thursdays at 8pm. the chatroom is used every night and often during the day as well.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
If just one or two of you then as Brian said fly, Ryanair have some great deals from Stanstead to Gerona on the Costa Brava.

We have flown out for past 2 or 3 years but we need transport when we get there and the cost of car hire out there seems to have sky rocketted in the last year. A ford focus estate this year would cost more than a Merc minubus cost us last year, and we was looking at euro prices so if you need transport then driving down may in the long term pay off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back