Jul 28, 2009
Solihull West Midland
Funster No
MH
demountable
Exp
since May 2009
Hi All
Can anyone help I am about to buy an awning and have been advised to buy a breathable groundsheet (carpet) which would be the best to get closeweave or openweave I would appreciate any coment :helpsos:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Breathable and fold up like the Fiamma is made:thumb:

"The new Fiamma PATIO-MAT is an essential accessory for your Fiammastor and Privacy Room.
Light weight and easy to fold.
The fundamental change of Patio Mat is the manufacturing system, obtained by weaving small polypropylene pipes. This system allows the air to go through leaving the carpet really light and easy to carry."

Peter

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Why?

..........and no, this isn't a pop!::bigsmile: I'm genuinly interested cos I also will be in the market this spring.::bigsmile:

scratch that, i think the above explains. :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Grandpa Beard,::bigsmile: (love the name) have you thought about the Moroccan carpet they are really good and light and look good they are also breathable, we changed our breathable mat for one of these and are really pleased with it, just a thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

There are other types of breathable grounsheets that you can buy but they are sold by the metre and are 2.5 metres wide. Cheaper alternative to the Fiamma but they roll up and are heavier.

Material : polyester base/blow vinyl coating. Called Softex

Many campsites now only allow breathable ones as they allow the grass to continure growing.

Peter

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
I would think that openweave would breath better if laid down for a longer period.

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the weight of the material you choose. we have one of the original breathable ground sheets, Lasted over 15 years but weighs a ton !!
and is nearly as heavy as the driveaway awning and poles.

Rgds

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would think that openweave would breath better if laid down for a longer period.

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the weight of the material you choose. we have one of the original breathable ground sheets, Lasted over 15 years but weighs a ton !!
and is nearly as heavy as the driveaway awning and poles.

Rgds

That was one of the reasons we went for the Moroccan they are so light and just fit across the back of the bike rack secured with a couple of bungees.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've tried them all, and in my experience there is no one size fits all ..

Breathable:

great on a dry grassy pitch .. nightmare in winter when the ground is waterlogged.. mud and water ooze up and make a right mess.
Not good on dusty French or worse still on a sandy Spanish site.. the sand and dust come though and it needs lifted and shaken every day.

Non Breathable.

Great for UK winter and dusty / sandy pitches abroad. but banned on some UK sites.

Moroccan Mat

Same as breathable but doesn't last long, it frays at the edges and is easily damaged by chair or table legs, it cannot be folded for locker storage. I bought 10mt in Morocco .. it's long since been binned.

Cheap Plastic.

Long termers on Spanish pitches buy a sheet of plastic from a builders merchant or garden centre and cover the whole pitch and nail it down with six inch nails, normal ground sheet pegs are no use .. When they leave it gets binned.

I now carry both breathable and non breathable.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jim your talking Moroccan Moroccan mats and I totally agree there crap
but thankfully the vast majority have bought English Moroccan mats::bigsmile: from the shows
Lord knows where there really made but there are two qualities available the cheap version very like the genuine Moroccan mats really cheap and nasty
The English version::bigsmile: is very good, @ £11 per mtr length they out to be:Eeek:
I have had one over 3 years and its still mint, despite many a Funster partying on it:thumb:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim your talking Moroccan Moroccan mats and I totally agree there crap
but thankfully the vast majority have bought English Moroccan mats::bigsmile: from the shows
Lord knows where there really made but there are two qualities available the cheap version very like the genuine Moroccan mats really cheap and nasty
The English version::bigsmile: is very good, @ £11 per mtr length they out to be:Eeek:
I have had one over 3 years and its still mint, despite many a Funster partying on it:thumb:
Geo

Hi Geo

Fair comment, didn't know they were made here, mine fell apart before we left the ferry ..

The Moroccan ferry :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have an english 'moroccan' mat and its the dogs bits.

hard wearing and light....but then it should be, plastic straws and nylon thread dont weigh much.

it also just fits 'wall to wall' across the lounge when travelling. :thumb:

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
I saw a few funsters with the "English Moroccan" mats at Lincoln and thought they looked very smart but I couldn't see anyone selling them at the show. Has any funster got one from the Peterborough show before?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bought mine at malvern show.

the company is named 'the moroccan mat company' or something like that.

they're at most shows but soon sell out of popular sizes....:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back