Motorhome Refund (1 Viewer)

Mike100

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
Hi, Has anyone had a brand new motorhome which has turned into a nightmare, and got there money back .......We have come to the end of the line, in the 11 months we have had ours it has been in repair for 3 of those eleven. Now after receiving it back yesterday something else has gone wrong and I have had enough.

Just interested if anyone has been up this route.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi, Has anyone had a brand new motorhome which has turned into a nightmare, and got there money back.

I've seen it reported more than once.

Problem is it's usually done via a gagging agreement so only tiny details are revealed.

You do have to fight for it.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Well here goes someone has to ask...................what make /model is it and what were/are the problems ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to the Fun...

It is a shame you have had to suffer all this grief with your new motorhome without the wisdom and wit of the Funsters to try to help...

But do not panic...

You are here now and someone is bound to be along soon with help... the members here are like that.

JJ

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Its hard work rejecting a vehicle, but before anyone can advise, a lot more information is needed.

What van and what has gone wrong with it and whats wrong with it now.

Peter

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
Are you a member of the Which legal service? They are good. Sometimes they will advise new members when they join - worth a try.
Good luck.

OP
OP
M

Mike100

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
Its hard work rejecting a vehicle, but before anyone can advise, a lot more information is needed.

What van and what has gone wrong with it and whats wrong with it now.

Peter

Thanks everyone for replying.

I don't want to go into a list of problems, please believe there are lots.

I was just interested if anyone had been succesful in a refund.

I feel sure that -
A) These are Faulty Goods
B) The goods are not fit for there purpose

Thank you for your interest I will keep eveyone posted.

All we want is a Motorhome to enjoy and use.. It is now back at the retailers being looked at again, then it is due to go back to the factory in April to try and be sorted.

Last edited:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember that in the motortrade they have to be given 3 chances to rectify then you can chuck it back ........... might be totally wrong though

OP
OP
M

Mike100

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
I may be wrong but I seem to remember that in the motortrade they have to be given 3 chances to rectify then you can chuck it back ........... might be totally wrong though

That's interesting, it's obviously a grey area thats kept under wraps about returning vehicles.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
That's interesting, it's obviously a grey area thats kept under wraps about returning vehicles.

Maybe......I am sure if we wait a bit someone with more knowledge of this matter will clarify for you.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
fit for purpose

Again not certain of the legal position but surely you have a case re "fit for purpose".

I think I would had said by now here are the keys I`m not coming back for it, the next person you will hear from is my solicitor.
Do you have legal representation with your imotorhome or house insurance that you can go to?

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have you been dealing with the MH dealer or have you acctually spoken to the manufacturers, surely they would want this matter clearing up asap for good "PR"

OP
OP
M

Mike100

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
Have you been dealing with the MH dealer or have you acctually spoken to the manufacturers, surely they would want this matter clearing up asap for good "PR"

Hi, Well we have been dealing with both the MH dealer (it's there now being repaired)
and this week at the NEC show we met a lady from the manufactures who is helping and showing concern in our problems.

Our concern is this, that the vehicle is dropping to bits every time we attempt to use it. At what point do we say enough is enough. From day 1 this vehicle has been a problem. WE have laughed and cried about this van, but at the end of the day, the quality, of which the company proudly claim is great, is unfortunately AWFUL.

Our confidence in this Product has come to an end, surely after spending £35,000 odd pounds you should get something durable. Sorry about the rant, but we feel so upset and not sure what will happen next, but will post our findings on how we have been delt with. Many thanks...

PS. Took the van into be repaired Jan, it was going back to the Factory Feb, Left arm did'nt know what the right arm was doing, should be going back in April. Got the van back yesterday morning 10am, steps and electrics packed in by 1pm. :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
PS. Took the van into be repaired Jan, it was going back to the Factory Feb, Left arm did'nt know what the right arm was doing, should be going back in April. Got the van back yesterday morning 10am, steps and electrics packed in by 1pm. :ROFLMAO:

All of us wish you a swift solution to your problem.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We did have a new one from a dealer, and it was a pain in the rear - usual problems with clutch etc after few thousand miles. There were other things as well, but every time it had to be inspected etc and it all took time. As a hire vehicle, it was useless - too many gremlins. The delaer was good and we chopped it in for older models that were particularly clean and low mileage - not a problem since!

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Maybe a time to look at your house and motor insurance for uninsured losses. ?? A couple of phone calls might get some legal eagle to take up the case ?

CC or CCC if you are members might offer a service.

Rgds

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Compensation

I would certainly be looking for a big sweetener, have you thought about asking them for another van and taking the troublesome one in part exchange.
I would think you had plenty of ground for getting an exceptional deal.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Very sad to hear you are one of the dozens of frustrated customers.
Five years ago I had a rogue van which eventually got so bad I was forced to sell it. The next owner dropped down dead after a few months use, but don't panic.
At the time I contacted The Caravan Club Legal department who advised me then that if I had given them the chance to rectify then I was not in a position for a refund. The proceedure was , then, I would have to make my position clear to the dealer who would insist on an independent survey. The vehicle would have to go back to the dealer who in turn would liase with the manufacturer and eventually decisions would be made. According to the legal boffins this would mean you would have no van or refund until an agreement was reached, this could take years.
You can bet your life our present manufacturers attitude to customers would probably mean a long drawn out process would follow. This would ensure you, the so called customer, would loose out big time and get so fed up you would walk away.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Wiljoy

Longtemps

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Funster No
Don't Buy New

My opinion is that once you have got all the initial manufacturing problems sorted out, and in my case this took all of two years, its best to stick with what you know and save yourself money and more importantly, your sanity. Fortunately I am in the position where the availability of the readies to buy a new motorhome is not the issue. However having flirted with the idea of changing my van over the 8 years I have owned it, everytime I begin to get serious ,I think back to the pure hassle of rectifying manufacturing and dealer stupidity. So no way will I change for a good while yet and particularly not when we have yet to see which dealers are still going to be around when the economic uncertainty is but a distant memory!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont hold me to this as it may not still apply but, if the van is on Hire Purchase (not a personal loan) then inform them you will withhold payments, explaining why, until its sorted.....they own the van, not you, and you're only hiring it until the final payment and option to purchase fee has been paid.

Jul 9, 2009
Weymouth,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T700
Exp
20yrs+
Hi Mike 100,and all. All very interesting, after buying new ourselves end of last summer our problems started very first journey, After arriving home with unit I started to look at things generally much closer such as build quality and supplier mods, all of which I should have considered before actual purchase:Doh:. After compiling a dossier of problems etc I approached a partner in a firm of solicitors that had acted for me in an insurance claim that afforded me the opportunity to buy such a thing new. His opinion, that it was not fit for purpose. He offered to act on my behalf should the need arise. After many phone calls and delays I was offered repair of my unit, replaced with another or money refunded fully. By then I was totally fed up with the whole thing:cry:, so needless to say I took the refund :Smile:. We now own a 9yr old Hymer instead which we are very happy with::bigsmile:. Any one want to buy a Navara double cab kitted for pulling a 5ver?:winky:. I must say I have spoken to other owners and apart from similar small gripes as mine they are generally happy, maybe we were just unlucky.

OP
OP
M

Mike100

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
Thank you to everyone who has replied, I will visit the dealer soon or await their phone call, keep you posted, Thanks,

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
All of us wish you a swift solution to your problem.

So...Its a Swift is it?::bigsmile:

More info is needed really, we need to know how serious the problems are.

Sounds like you have given them enough chances to put right,

but it will mean going through the courts.

you need to name and shame

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks everyone for replying.

I don't want to go into a list of problems, please believe there are lots.
I don't think anyone is doubting your word but listing the nature of the faults would certainly help give a clearer picture. £35 grand is a lot of money to fork out for a pile of problems you can easily buy with an old banger off eBay for a few hundered quid.

I would think Peter at Johns Cross MH's is better qualified than any of us to give you advice on how best to proceed with this. After all, he is a Motorhome dealer.

invisybubble

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Funster No
Only go down the legal route if you are prepared to lose the use of your van for the length of time it will take to get to court (around 2 years and £4k in legal fees).
You can reject for failing to effect repair in a 'reasonable' time period easier to prove than 'not fit for purpose'

Ask yourself if you are prepared NOT to use the vehicle and if the answer is no redouble your efforts with the dealer. After all it matters not a jot who the manufacturer is as your contract is with the dealer.

Do not ever ever ever ever ever hand the keys/van to a dealer and walk away this is not the way to reject a vehicle.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only go down the legal route if you are prepared to lose the use of your van for the length of time it will take to get to court (around 2 years and £4k in legal fees).
You can reject for failing to effect repair in a 'reasonable' time period easier to prove than 'not fit for purpose'

Ask yourself if you are prepared NOT to use the vehicle and if the answer is no redouble your efforts with the dealer. After all it matters not a jot who the manufacturer is as your contract is with the dealer.

Do not ever ever ever ever ever hand the keys/van to a dealer and walk away this is not the way to reject a vehicle.
:thumb::thumb: SENSIBLE ADVISE :thumb:
Roclaire springs to mind (dark side ) he tried to reject his van and P---ed the dealer off by parking outside the dealership with a big notice :thumb::ROFLMAO: Police came and went :ROFLMAO: then dealer sent a couple of heaves's all to no avail :ROFLMAO:He was ex forces and did not scare too easy :ROFLMAO: It ended up with him getting Swift involved and him following them to shows with his van stickered up (even to one in Germany )They gave him another van and that was as bad so got his money back and bought another make :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Motorhome exchanged

Hi Mike. With reference to my post yesterday regarding motorhome exchanges.
I mentioned a friend in Liverpool who has had over 18 months of hell with his "Made in Britain Badly" motorhome. Well after several letters, mentions on this site, visits to the dealer he has at last been offered an exchange. He went to the NEC earlier this week and after many meetings and talks they have agreed he has a rogue van so a Brand New vehicle is to be given to him next week No money is to change hands but he will have the cost of fitting any extras other than standard.
I do hope he has better luck with this vehicle but if the new one is still a load of c... god help him.
If you need the vehicle and manufacturers name and any other facts just email me.
Regards,
Wiljoy

OP
OP
M

Mike100

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
Many thanks everyone, messages have been helpful.

It's a perculier situation, because the dealer has been reasonably helpful, even tho it's taking 3 attempts to fix things. We are lucky we live 10 mls away, and last week they have been collecting and delivering back, so top marks.

The manufacturer after meeting at the NEC also showed real interest, and I am sure that they are communicating with the dealer better. We, may I add, only seem to be the piggies in the middle, and I get the feeling the two of them never fully understand how customers feel about being truly dissapointed with their purchases.

This coming week we are going to arrange a sit down, calm conversation with the dealer, this forum has helped immensely, and we have a better idea of what we need to do. We want to remain clear headed and calm about this situation we find ourselves in.

Many Thanks, Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back