Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
On my licence (the old pink one) it says i can drive a motorcycle/scooter upto 125cc.
Having spoke to a friend could not get an answer as to weather i would have to do a cbt or not.
Anyone know?
Dave

AllanMcD

Free Member
Feb 8, 2010
Funster No
You have to do CBT every body (learner) needs a CBT for a 125cc now.
Allan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You have to do CBT every body (learner) needs a CBT for a 125cc now.
Allan

but you can ride a 49cc moped on your car licence without a CBT or L plates.

in passed my bike test in the early 70's and CBT or restricted cc riding hadnt been thought of (L plates upto 250cc...pass test, ride anything on two or three wheels including relaint cars)

not sure but i believe the CBT is a 'tick box' written test. 24 correct out of 28 questions or some other drivel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
you have to do the cbt,it takes a whole day and it involves theory and practical work,you do slow turns,drive through the town do emergency stop etc :thumb:

OP
OP
david price

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Are these cbt centres run by mps relatives?Seems like another money making scheme to me.
Dave

OP
OP
david price

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
If i only used it abroad would i still need one?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not sure but i believe the CBT is a 'tick box' written test. 24 correct out of 28 questions or some other drivel.

as bazfergy said ,

I did the CBT some years ago, it is IMO very worth while , it ensures, to a degree, that the rider can at least negotiate traffic and stop safely .. the final test is a ride though town with an instructor who then assesses if you pass or not.

It's not a foregone conclusion, Paul (my son) had to do it THREE times before he got a PASS ..

I went on to fail my bike test, lost heart never to ride again and sold the bike :Sad: something I now very much regret ..

the CBT is only valid for two years after which if you haven't passed the full test you have to redo ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you have to do the cbt,it takes a whole day and it involves theory and practical work,you do slow turns,drive through the town do emergency stop etc :thumb:

as bazfergy said ,

I did the CBT some years ago, it is IMO very worth while , it ensures, to a degree, that the rider can at least negotiate traffic and stop safely .. the final test is a ride though town with an instructor who then assesses if you pass or not.

It's not a foregone conclusion, Paul (my son) had to do it THREE times before he got a PASS ..

I went on to fail my bike test, lost heart never to ride again and sold the bike :Sad: something I now very much regret ..

the CBT is only valid for two years after which if you haven't passed the full test you have to redo ...

in stand corrected...:Blush:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think it came in in 89 or 90? I skimmed it at the time, but few mates had to do it. It seemed fairly simple, just basic controls and being able to control it safely. If you have experience on bikes or mopeds, then you should pass ok! I suppose you could pick up a little 50cc as a practice vehicle?

It is a good idea - I started riding when you got your insurance, sat on it, dropped the clutch and hung on for dear life! :ROFLMAO:

Those were the days! I always remember one mate I 'taught' - he was a good lad, not the sharpest tool at times, but heart was in the right place. Got the hang of it round a car park without problems, so we went for a ride.

Got to the end of the road, with him ahead. He stopped, and I was muttering 'Put your feet down, put your feet down' - he went splat on his side - thought it would stand up itself! He later did the impossible on his 50cc thing, which was embarrasingly slow, pulled out of a petrol station, managed to wheely it somehow, across the road and into a bus shelter full of people!

As i said - those were the days!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back