Alde Coolant (1 Viewer)

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
I asked the same question of Alde UK and got told they use a Comma brand product in their service dept in the UK..

It has to be a Glycol based product [some modern automotive ones are not] and many older cheaper antifreezes only have two year life corrosion inhibitor package. It must also be very specifically for aluminium engines, to have a suitable inhibitor package.

One Comma one that I found has a five year inhibitor life however personally I am focusing for this summers change to using a new generation Land Rover product which is again a 5 year life. If its good enogh for their expensive aluminium engines it should be fine here?

With these new generation but still Glycol based fluids, there is a strong makers recommendation to flush out all the earlier two year fluid as the two generation inhibitors are not completely compatible.
So my intentions are to flush well by refilling twice with clean water and then refill with this Land Rover 5 year product. The two year change just comes round too frequently. Time will tell if its a good choice.
A main dealer just stuck in anything to hand during a service; I went ballistic but they claimed I was the first to ever ask.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Do you mean the wet central heating?If so try the plumb centre or any plumbers merchants.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I asked the same question of Alde UK and got told they use a Comma brand product in their service dept in the UK..

It has to be a Glycol based product [some modern automotive ones are not] and many older cheaper antifreezes only have two year life corrosion inhibitor package. It must also be very specifically for aluminium engines, to have a suitable inhibitor package.

One Comma one that I found has a five year inhibitor life however personally I am focusing for this summers change to using a new generation Land Rover product which is again a 5 year life. If its good enogh for their expensive aluminium engines it should be fine here?

With these new generation but still Glycol based fluids, there is a strong makers recommendation to flush out all the earlier two year fluid as the two generation inhibitors are not completely compatible.
So my intentions are to flush well by refilling twice with clean water and then refill with this Land Rover 5 year product. The two year change just comes round too frequently. Time will tell if its a good choice.
A main dealer just stuck in anything to hand during a service; I went ballistic but they claimed I was the first to ever ask.

ocsid,

I have found this what do you think?

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/antifreeze_engine_coolant.html

Thanks

Dave

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
I am not qualified to give you hard advice, the knowledge I have is based on guidance given to me;
Based on that my personal concerns is that its not an Ethylene Glycol product but a low toxicity Propylene Glycol product, and I was advised against using "organic acid" types. The latter, OAT [organic acid technology] I was warned not to use.

It does claim compatibility with all other coolants and that alone rings warning bells as being too good to be true based on what I have been told.

Land Rover's "Extended Life Anti-Freeze Coolant" is specifically an Ethylene Glycol based product an so is in my book a "safe", if not the best product to use. It is very toxic, but thats not an issue that concerns me much.

OP
OP
J

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just had this reply from Alde

"Hi, Yes use motor vehicle engine antifreeze (ethl Glycol). The solution should be premixed 40% glycol 60% water before pouring into expansion tank."

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back