Tight Nuts (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Had to change a wheel on the toad today ( puncture ). The wheelbrace 1ft long was useless, I needed a 3ft length of pipe on the end of a socket to move the studs.
Had I been on the road I would have needed to ring rescue. Those damn air impact wrenches. Will adjust torque on studs and carry socket and bar in future :Eeek:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Had to change a wheel on the toad today ( puncture ). The wheelbrace 1ft long was useless, I needed a 3ft length of pipe on the end of a socket to move the studs.
Had I been on the road I would have needed to ring rescue. Those damn air impact wrenches. Will adjust torque on studs and carry socket and bar in future :Eeek:

I found that an axle stand was also very usefull.
Because the "reach" of the wrench has to be long enough to reach the nuts on rear (twin) wheels, it means that there is a good chance of slipping off the nut and rounding the edges off. Not good.:Blush:
I used to fit the wrench to a nut and then rest the outer end on to top of an axle stand to prevent this. Take the "tight" off each nut, then jack up the rig and use the axle stand for what it was designed for.:thumb:
Been there twice! Both times in France in a million gerzillion degrees! Oh joy!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I carry a long square-drive 'breaker-bar' and impact-strength socket to get my nuts off (the Hymer) and a torque wrench to put them back on again. Also very useful for the car if things get a bit stuck.

Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
Good tip about the axle stand.
I used that tip, together with a sledge hammer on a breaker bar to get a stuck hub-nut off a car one time :)

Are there specific torque settings for wheel nuts, or is it simply "damned tight" ?

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
If I can't avoid one of these idiots in a garage with no idea how to use a torque wrench or worse just uses the air gun then it's straight home and undo and retighten properly!

If at all possible I just take the wheel/s, it limits the overall damage 'they' can do.:Angry:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Are there specific torque settings for wheel nuts, or is it simply "damned tight" ?

There is a specific torque for every nut and bolt, period.

Some vehicle hand books will at least have the wheel nut setting but not all leaving 'you' to search it out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is a specific torque for every nut and bolt, period.

Some vehicle hand books will at least have the wheel nut setting but not all leaving 'you' to search it out.

and if you exceed that torque, especially wheel nuts, it's just as dangerous as not tightening enough.

most 'windy guns' are torque ajustable and experience will tell the user what setting is right but they just cant be arsed to reset it !!! :Angry:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This is only a little Peugeot 107 and I had to stand on a 3ft bar !!!

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I have proper stand for the wheel brace a sort of ladder thing

2wef4sz.jpg

m7vt4i.jpg

Regards Pat

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
It is most unlikely that your wheel nuts or bolts were tightened with an Impact Wrench if fitted in either the factory (definately not), a good tyre fitter or reputable garage. Impact Wrenches can be used to remove fastenings but not to tighten.

The basic tool is a Hand Torque Wrench but preferably a Pneumatic or Electric Torque controlled Nutrunner, in the factory a Multi Spindle.

On no account grease or copperslip wheel fastenings the friction is an essential component of the tightening process. Lubricating the fasteners will result in over-tightening resulting in bolt failure. If you have fasteners that you suspect have been overtightened then replace. In production Bolts are now very often tightened to yield and should be replaced once removed.

The supply of such equipment to the MVI was me job.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back