Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
9 years
Hi All,

From one confused newbe to RV's??
:Doh:
After 3 months in our new [to us] RV all 16 years old, and love her to bits, we are having problems with the step down transformer 230V to 110V.

Input fine from the 230v consumer unit, except the output 110V side of the step/down transformer is in the form of a 13amp [english] socket, hence through a 13amp plug and the away to a hook up plug/socket combination.....this 13amp plug keeps frying naturally because of the current draw from the RV's 110V system.....I think??:Doh:

So got in touch with a transformer supplier, and have just had step/down transformer delivered with a 110VAC / with a chunky 32 amp outlet, just to make sure we dont melt any more...plugs a very large lump 5KVA not much to melt now, although it appears that the new transformer does nit work at all ??:cry:

on speaking to the manufacturer they said that that we should be using 120V AC instead of 110V AC

HELP which way do we go.......??:Blush:

cheers asinboat

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi asinboat. I see plenty have read your post but no-one has responded. It might be because you've not expressed yourself clearly or it might be because some of the more experienced rv'ers haven't seen it yet. I've read, read and re-read your post and am battling to understand a lot of what you've written.

What transformer do you have? Is it a step up/down one? If so, are you sure the switch at the back is set for the correct incoming voltage (ie 230v and not 110v)? If you've got it switched to 110v (instead of your incoming 230v) then there's a possibility your transformer is pushing out 440v! Enough to fry anything.

There should be no concerns over 110v or 120v since your american appliances are manufactured to handle that range.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi All,
Input fine from the 230v consumer unit, except the output 110V side of the step/down transformer is in the form of a 13amp [english] socket, hence through a 13amp plug and the away to a hook up plug/socket combination.....this 13amp plug keeps frying naturally because of the current draw from the RV's 110V system.....I think??:Doh:
cheers asinboat

Why dont you hard wire some heavy cable (oven) behind the 13amp socket direct to the hook up/socket connection and keep the old transformer.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
110V or 120V is irrelevant.

A transformer is a very simple thing. It works on turns ratio.

So, if it was deigned for 120V in, 230V out, then turns ratio would be around 1.92
So, if you input 110V, expect to get (110 * 1.92) = 211V out
(I say "Around" on purpose. It will depend on what current is being used. More current = more voltage drop inside transformer winding, so less output voltage. Usually they are designed to give the rated output at full load, so on less load the output will be higher)

First reaction is a dodgy transformer.

ooops, just reread your post - yours is the other way around, but same logic still applies. It should either work or not work. There is no in-between with a transformer.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I think you're right ..

This post needs more explanation.

I am currently using a 240-220/110 volt transformer to bring the voltage down to run my 110 volt Water heater which it does quite nicely....

It also has the traid-voltrad original converter which I do not use...

Seems at first read as though it may be faulty...

Is there any chance you could post some pics of the Transformer and spec/wiring layout please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back