Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Hi all, been a while since we posted but oh! finally ready to go.
I wanted to ask a little advice or just throw some of our query's up in the air and see where they land.
We decided that it is going to be an RV because we have spent the last 6 months comparing Rv's and MH's and for what we need for full timing the RV wins hands down, Though not the largest models. (At this point in time I feel that we know all the dealers personally and recognise every make and model at a glance lol) We have seen some older RV's that would meet our needs and apart from a little dated looking, thay all seem very functional and comfortable and I am certain that I could smarten the upholstery up in some as I am a good seamstress. So...
Are there any issues that we may need to take into consideration buying an older RV between say 10 and 15yrs old? We are looking to get an LPG conversion rather than Diesel. I had read a while back about omissions beng an issue on older vehicles but this wouldnt apply with LPG would it?
Any advice or any tips on what to look for or rule out at this point would be hugely appreciated ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I assume you mean emissions not ommissions as far as I know should not be a problem with LPG, what I would watch out for though is mixed and not matched when it comes to power. American RV's have a 60Hz generator. UK appliences 50Hz, so will the large built in TV be 50Hz or 60Hz won't run on both, likewise the washing machine and other bits and bobs it is a diffwerance a lot of people overlook that results in a lot of after purchase changes. most 60Hz appliences will not run on uk or European standard hookup. 50HZ or 60HZ is the frequency of the mains and as most things these days are electronic the differance in frequency will make a big differance, some things may work ok on either if they are not frequency dependant. others including anything with a timer will not. So do beware. In my opinion the best option is a new 50hz generator and change all of the appliences done right from the start. But others who live the life will no doubt tell you how they cope. Good luck.

Upvote 0

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
older rv

hi jomel,if you go on the sister site rv forum,there are loads of people with older rvs to help you,cheers muz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi..

As far as I've seen and read, LPG runs far cleaner and greener than Petrol......

I hope so as I'm having a major LPG conversion done.....

Mind you. my RV is only nearly 31 years young....::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Watch the weight of RV with gas tanks fitted-----no point in spending a lot of money and ketting a 100 mile range per fill. You may have seen on other threads---get a filler on BOTH sides.
If the Rv has been here a while the elec. kit should be sorted. (things like microwaves would just have the clock running at the wrong speed, that is no great issue to us !!)
Good luck with your hunt:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Great! Thanks Guys:thumb: Yes wildman I did mean emissions I was being posh:Smile:
Thanks for that link too Muz and pappajohn, I had it a while back and lost it out of my faves when my puter had a meltdown.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Jomel if you buy one without the gas conversion, make sure when you get it converted you go to a reputable installer who will provide a certificate which your insurers may require. With a good installation you will experience few problems and will get the most up to date equipment.
Good luck Larry

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Jomel if you buy one without the gas conversion, make sure when you get it converted you go to a reputable installer who will provide a certificate which your insurers may require. With a good installation you will experience few problems and will get the most up to date equipment.
Good luck Larry

I also concur with Larry,

Your profile says you are in the South West, large area. however there is a good LPG convertor in Exeter ( whose name escapes me ) should be able to Google it. I had mine done at a place in Plymouth, reasonably ok but had difficultty with language barrier. boss was Italian and work force were East European.

Best of luck with your purchase

Brian

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

There are a number of important things to look for

1 Tyres. If they have not been changed may have lots of tread but may be cracked in which case will need replacing. If you have 6 this will be costly.

2 The 50 60hz problem is only really with your power supply 12vdc board. If this is a transformer it will need changing to a solid state board. Simply put the transformers cannot cope with 50hz. Easy job but will need doing.

3 Very important is check for delamination. You will almost certainly have some but has it been sorted? There are many ways this can come in. Basically anywhere that the body has been penetrated.

Finally think seroiusly about LPG. The payback time is huge if you are doing normal mileages. See my spreadsheet in the dowload section. If you talk to dealers who tell the truth they will advise against it.

Fire away with any more questins.

Best regards

Chris

Upvote 0

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Jomel

Why have you decided to go for an RV? Everyone has different thoughts. We went from a 25ft european to a 27ft RV. We had listened to all the arguments that the UK roads are full of lorries and buses and so an RV is fine. I am fairly gung-ho and I don't worry about too much but the RV took the away the 'get up and go at a drop of the hat' sort of lifestyle we had gotten used to.

The RV, although only 2ft longer and a ft or so wider just seemed to be cumbersome when driving. The 25ft european was like driving a big car, the 27ft RV like a small bus.

We were fulltiming with a little girl. The RV gave more living space but the European was by far better for touring. The RV killed the fulltiming for us and we are now living in a cottage but I expect we will return to fulltiming as we both miss it. When we do we will look for something like this if we go the RV route again, i.e we will not look for a small RV but as big as we can, even bigger than this if need be. I would not consider getting LPG fitted myself I would want it already there.

Link Removed

but more likely something like this

Link Removed

At the moment we are converting a long wheel base citroen ready to tour europe next winter. Our plan is to head off at the start of winter and return in early spring. For us we have learnt that if we are touring all we need is somewhere to chill out, sleep, cook and do the personal things we humans need to survive. We don't need a machine big enough to hold a rave in :Smile::Smile:

stew

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Stew,

As you know I have been there and done that. 27ft European, 30ft A class Winnebago and now 30ft C class Coachmen with three slides.

Absolutely no question to me the slides have it. If you are comfortable with an A class then that is the way to go. For us as you know it was Claire who did not like the bus like feel. The B class has a lot going for it.

As to going for an European I could not imagine going to one now it would seem too cramped in every way. However, I fully understand why people want an Europe and would not knock it in any way. After all going from 20mpg to 8mpg is a big chunk of anyones budget.

Best regards

Chris

Upvote 0

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Yes, forgot about slide outs Chris, they help to equal out the inconvenience. It really depends on what you want to do

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had A class RVs for around 5 years and wanted to down size to make travelling Europe as easy as poss but still keeping creature comforts.
We explored all dealerships and looked at the current euro motorhomes available from the cheapest up to the Carthagos.
We could find nothing for the money to equal an RV for comfort and facilities, the only drawback being economy.
Our decision is to go for a B class RV, external dimensions are less than an A class but with slideouts still stacks of space inside.

Upvote 0

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
We have a mini RV (27.5ft) 7.3 V8 diesel.

Our little RV is very manouverable, proven last year as we drove round Paris in it, and mountain villages in the pyraneese with no problems.

The diesel lump is very good, with mpg on a par with EU MH of the same size. Being a V8 I could do without a turbo, and have no ECU, so have a very reliable engine.

Upvote 0

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Well my RV is a 1997 but does not look it petrol V10 and every time I take it for a MOT I have been told " wow thats really good on emissions" so I dont think there is a reason to change to LPG. Have looked at changing it over but for the miles we do a year it would take so long to pay for its self.

We have done a bit of work on the inside having the living area re covered but that did not cost a lot. Would like to change the flooring ie remove carpets for ease of cleaning.

So its 13 yrs old still looks ok you can see it on here, only has 30,000 0n clock nothing wrong with an older model in my opinion.

Regards

Lampie

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
These people did a brilliant job doing my conversion.

Link Removed

Look at the RVs they have done.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back