Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Hello from him and hello from me!

We are new to motorhoming having bought a 2005 Autotrail Cheyenne 840S last September. We've only been away three times so far, but have plans for lots of trips this year. I will be retiring at the end of May (hurray hurray......can't wait), so plenty of opportunities then I hope.

I struggle quite a bit with pulling on the handbrake, which I think must be a common problem. Any recommendations for a handbrake extender??

Roof mounted solar panel to keep the batteries charged - definitely thinking this would be a good idea. Visited motorhome today - starter battery too low to start vehicle and leisure batteries very very low. Recommendations please for installers - we live close to Heathrow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi and a big flyingwelcome.. :thumb:

Good to have a few more oldun`s in the club.. :winky:

Solar Panel,, "YES"

Handbrake,, dunno,, some one will be along to advise,, spect there still having their afternoon kip.. :winky:

Enjoy they are a great bunch.. :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Jim on Fun does a good handbrake extender and the profit helps fund FUN:thumb:

For the other bits you are welcome to come down tu us and have a chat with Glenn our workshop manager or give him a ring during the week.

M25 and A21 and takes about an hour 20 mins from Heathrow.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,

Only being a short girlie, I bought the handbreak extender and its great. No more struggling to put the handbreak on. Well recomended.
But when I park up, I always leave in gear, and when camping, pull out the pin so the break cannot accidently take brake off - a must, I dont know how folk struggle
without it::bigsmile:
S.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to fun, sounds as if you are in for a good time when you retire.
I would not like to be without a solar panel ours is a 85watt and seems to keep us going when we are not on electric, well worth having.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Hi and welcome to the fun,
dont want to wish my life away but can't wait for my retirement so we can have more holiday time away in our van, I'm 59 next week and Sylv's 58 but we do get off when ever we can and use it all year round, we have two of the solar panels on top and gives us plenty of power when we have no hook up even using t.v etc.

Marshall and Sylv :Smile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Ken & Sue and :welcome:to MotorHomeFun.:thumb:
A solar panel to keep the batteries topped up is a good idea and well worth fitting.
We live close to Heathrow as well, might see you out and about sometime.:winky:

Brisey

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I struggle quite a bit with pulling on the handbrake, which I think must be a common problem. Any recommendations for a handbrake extender??

Roof mounted solar panel to keep the batteries charged - definitely thinking this would be a good idea. Visited motorhome today - starter battery too low to start vehicle and leisure batteries very very low. Recommendations please for installers - we live close to Heathrow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Rare Spares Handbrake extender as sold by Jim on here is excellent-do be carefull not to over tighten the 6 allen bolts !! I believe they are out of stock at moment and that Nigel who makes them is away till end of Feb.
I have 2x 80watt Solar panels, excellent-they will only charge engine and leisure batteries if you have a 'split charger' system.If you don't they will only charge leisure bat/batts OR engine bat. as far as I know.
I got quote for solar panels from dealer I got M/H from ( a big dealer about 60 miles away-it was a tads 'salty' at £800 for 1x120 watt fitted.So,I went to very small M/H dealer who had no workshops or accessory shop and asked him where he got his work done-he pointed me at a 'one man band' on a local industrial estate.Quote £550 for 2x80 watt fitted.
The work was excellent and he is now 'my man'.I'm sure there are small guys like him all over the place-it's just finding them.::bigsmile:

Good luck,Mike.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just to say hi and welcome. Hope you get the handbrake sorted out.... know what you mean.... I look like I'm doing physical exercises when I bend down to pull it up....:Sad:

Was beginning to think I am the oldest person on this site ... probably am..... but lovely to hear from you.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
K

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Hi Ken & Sue and :welcome:to MotorHomeFun.:thumb:
A solar panel to keep the batteries topped up is a good idea and well worth fitting.
We live close to Heathrow as well, might see you out and about sometime.:winky:

Brisey

Funny you should say that - looking at your photo, I think we may have seen you stuck in traffic on the M25???............:cry:We all start to look like that! :roflmto::roflmto:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Funny you should say that - looking at your photo, I think we may have seen you stuck in traffic on the M25???............:cry:We all start to look like that! :roflmto::roflmto:

That was probably me:ROFLMAO: I have aged a bit since that photo was taken though.
With regard to your solar panel, if you can get along to one of the forthcoming shows at, Newark, Peterborough or Newbury ,you may be able to get a good deal with fitting whilst at the show.:thumb: It will also be a good opportunity to meet up with the other Funsters. Alternatively Southern Motorhome Centre at Taplow have a workshop facility and may be able to help.

OP
OP
K

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Thanks for that Brisey - that is where we store!! Are you the man Ken spoke to yesterday by any chance? If so, thanks for introducing us to this site :thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Are you the man Ken spoke to yesterday by any chance?

Sorry, it wasn't me that you spoke to yesterday, would have been nice to have met and say hello though. We bought our van from Southern Motorhome Centre a few years ago now, we keep ours at home in Uxbridge. Will keep a look out for you when we are out and about or perhaps at a meet.

Brisey (Brian & Pam)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for that Brisey - that is where we store!! Are you the man Ken spoke to yesterday by any chance? If so, thanks for introducing us to this site :thumb:

Hi KenandSue

Good to see you have joined our happy band. It was me you spoke to today, if you had said your starter battery was low I would have got my jump starter out of the 'van and given you a jump start. My solar panels were fitted by Detroit Solar at a show. If you get a panel fitted, see about a battery master as well. Southern do them for about £100, best thing next to Solar I have had fitted. How they work is they transfe rexcess power from thesolar panels to the engine battery when the leisure batteries are fully charged. It is all done automatically so you never have flat batteries again. This also applies when you are on hook up. Hook up normally charges the leisure batteries so when they are fully charged the engine battery gets topped up.

OP
OP
K

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Hi Dave, and thanks for that excellent info. It all sounds a bit complicated, but I expect we will get our heads around it eventually!

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi KenandSue

Good to see you have joined our happy band. It was me you spoke to today, if you had said your starter battery was low I would have got my jump starter out of the 'van and given you a jump start. My solar panels were fitted by Detroit Solar at a show. If you get a panel fitted, see about a battery master as well. Southern do them for about £100, best thing next to Solar I have had fitted. How they work is they transfe rexcess power from thesolar panels to the engine battery when the leisure batteries are fully charged. It is all done automatically so you never have flat batteries again. This also applies when you are on hook up. Hook up normally charges the leisure batteries so when they are fully charged the engine battery gets topped up.

dave
this battery master, how to i find out if i have got one in my van or not how do i check I sure like to have one fitted if there is not one in my van altready I am new to MH and just acquired my MH to day

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back