Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Really considering it now as will feel more comfortable travelling to the meet from Wales.

Less ££'s to the mile:Doh:

I reckon I need at least them holding a minimum 300 litres what have you got or recommend?

Plus i would have 2 filler thinking front and back what your view?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As many tanks as possible and put the filler in the middle of the rear bumper (access from any side!!)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi john dazzers right, but you have a problem the same as I did, on a short length RV were the heck do you put them?? a 100litre tank is about 13" in diameter and 36" long, if yours is a chevy p32 chasiss you won't even be able to fit two of them inbetween the rear frame rails as they did with mine, and then they had to reduce the fuel tank by a third to get them in.

Stick them in your lockers and you lose locker space, I saw one with the tanks under the bed, my wife absolutely refused to sleep in it. So before you look at what you would like, see what you can actually fit.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Mine the Ford F53.

Well some can go under the bed as never use this area.

Hope not to loose lockers though as Luv em got so muck crap in em:RollEyes:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi john

i have 3 70litre tanks. do about 1.5 miles per litre. the "guage" with 4 green / 1 red led is useless, so i reset the trip meter every time i fill, and reckon to fill by 225 miles. never had a prob. getting lpg with this range, but sometimes have to pay too much (target under 40p, best around 32p, worst 56p)

fringe benefit - the oil never gets dirty! my first service was after about 4,000 miles, and the oil looked almost new. apparently due to the purity of lpg.

it was expensive, done by steve at anglo american, newport, but worth every penny in my view

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi des the reason the gauge is useless is because its only connected to one tank, the same as mine.

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know I should convert, especially with the amount of miles I do, (8000 in last 6 months) but I have trouble now (at almost 13 feet high & 35ft long) getting petrol with some stupid station forecourt designs.

These days I never fill up without looking for the lpg pump, and they seem to put those in the most inaccessible places, so being able to fill from both sides must be a huge bonus.

Are there any Lpg pumps appearing in the HGV filling areas?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim seen any lorries running on LPG? until we do the pumps will stay with the cars. I think 3 fillers would be the ultimate, 1 either side and 1 at the front.

Olley

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We had 2 x 110 Litre tanks fitted to our 1988 Coachmen Classic. I had them fitted ABOVE the chassis and below the floor at the very rear end. When measuring we didn't take into account the angle necessary to fit them by taking off the rear quarter panels. So we had to cut a groove and re-welded a plate. They fitted snug and tight. Didn't really need any straps. But they were fitted anyway. :ROFLMAO:

BTW. Fitting the filler at the rear of an RV is NOT really such a good idea. Many was the time that you will either block an entrance or exit positioning at the fill-up point. :Doh:

With hindsight? One either side near the middle gives the very best option. :winky:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i have fillers both sides roughly "amidships". never had a problem getting to the pump, but sometimes access is awkward, esp. if car on the back. biggest problem is spotting where the darned lpg pump is before committing to the wrong lane. usually send swmbo to sus it out first.

des

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
usually send swmbo to sus it out first.

des

God I have enough problem with SWMBO finding the most awkward pitch to park up on:Doh:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi john..i have two 90 ltr tanks fiterd in a cage up between the chaisis at the rear end of my ford c class. one filler on the right hand side near the rear:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim seen any lorries running on LPG? until we do the pumps will stay with the cars. I think 3 fillers would be the ultimate, 1 either side and 1 at the front.

Olley

No, why is that? the miles they do you think they would be converting. But if there is nowhere to fill up I suppose they aren't going to, and the service stations aren't going spend money because no lorries are converted, a catch 22.

Couple of years time Gordon Brown will have LPG at the same price as derv anyway:Sad:

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hi John i have a 200l tank under the bed , and a filler on each side both are towards the back as if you want fast fill hoses you can only go 6-7 ft from the tank as joining the hoses is frowned upon, but its just a matter of blocking some pumps when filling:Blush: or in the large filling stations i back in to the pump ,, or you could have a slow fill with the copper pipe and get it fitted where you want :Smile:

FORDY:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
if you want fast fill hoses you can only go 6-7 ft from the tank as joining the hoses is frowned upon, but its just a matter of blocking some pumps when filling:Blush: or in the large filling stations i back in to the pump ,, or you could have a slow fill with the copper pipe and get it fitted where you want :Smile:

What do you mean fordy "fast fill?" in france they are half as thick and twice as long and they seemed to fill the tank up just as slowly as ours do::bigsmile:. Plus they don't cut out at 99 litres.:Angry:

Olley

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hiya Guys
just catching up on things

I have 2 x150 ltr tanks with a central rear filler, don't have problems filling but generaly fill at my local heating gas supplier with 300 ltrs on board i have never run them dry
do i recomend conversion? do bears sxxt in the woods? ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I found a local LPG (Calor depot) but wanted a massive 52.9p a Litre.

So it's still Morrison's for me and RV couldn't start to get in:cry:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
One of your posts has got me thinking your up for a change Tony?

R U?

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi John
yep thinking of changing
this was my first buy and they say the first is not the last
thinking "A" class next

F

fordy

Deleted User
What do you mean fordy "fast fill?" in france they are half as thick and twice as long and they seemed to fill the tank up just as slowly as ours do::bigsmile:. Plus they don't cut out at 99 litres.:Angry:

Olley

Hi olley the tank has 4 holes and a rubber filling hose 10mm fast fill well faster than the cooper 6mm or 8mm fill line to the tank. or the single hole tank with cooper fill line, but as you say it takes forever to fill with any of them :roflmto: BUT think of the saving to your pocket and the environment, as we can drive these beasts on LPG with the pollution out put of a ford ka ::bigsmile:

F

fordy

Deleted User
True but it makes me think im doing some good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FORDY:ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
With only two 100litre tanks giving me a max. of 170litres actual gas I have for some time been trying to think of somewhere else to fit some tanks, including on the roof::bigsmile: and I think I may have finally sussed it, it looks like I can fit two torodial tanks, (the kind the fit in place of your spare wheel) underneath the rockandroll sofa, we hardly use this space so its no great loss, and it will give me about another 100 litres or maybe more depending on what size I can fit, making a much more sensible 270 plus litres.

Olley

F

fordy

Deleted User
With only two 100litre tanks giving me a max. of 170litres actual gas I have for some time been trying to think of somewhere else to fit some tanks, including on the roof::bigsmile: and I think I may have finally sussed it, it looks like I can fit two torodial tanks, (the kind the fit in place of your spare wheel) underneath the rockandroll sofa, we hardly use this space so its no great loss, and it will give me about another 100 litres or maybe more depending on what size I can fit, making a much more sensible 270 plus litres.

Olley

Hi Olley if you go for this type of tank that are 95L each but i cant find any one selling them at a sensible price as £400.00 each is a bit strong:whatthe: but they are a nice tank for inside RV use ,,

FORDY :Smile:

Link Removed

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Just a thought here, but has anyone tried contacting a certified tank manufacturer to get prices of bespoke pressure vessels? They may not be as expensive as one would think. There are literally dozens of approved designs and sizes already drawn and certified so it should not be too difficult, maybe???

Keith

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi fordy, yes that's the sort of price I was looking at for the big ones, but I don't think that size would fit, its more likely to be about 50 odd litres actual capacity each. Going to have to do some measuring up, there's a possibility I could sink them partway into the double floor, then I could get the big ones in.

Keith I believe most tanks are made in Poland so I doubt a bespoke one would be cost effective, but you could be right. Who would you approach to find out?

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi fordy just came across tinleytech: http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/tt-shop.html 650x220mm toroidal tank holds 61litres gross. £119.95 plus valve £41.25 all plus vat.

So for less than £400 I can buy two and the associated valves/pipework, and they will fit nicely under the rockandroll, and still leave room for me to make an airtight box around them without effecting its action. Which will give me a much more usable 270litres in total. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back