Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Starting to tour round the club sites from about the middle of March so I am very green, do I need to take a hose pipe to fill my water tank if the tap is near enough or do I need to buy one of those big barrel type things and fill it up, feel such a plonker asking a question like this:Eeek:
Kennygd

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:Smile:Starting to tour round the club sites from about the middle of March so I am very green, do I need to take a hose pipe to fill my water tank if the tap is near enough or do I need to buy one of those big barrel type things and fill it up, feel such a plonker asking a question like this:Eeek:
Kennygd

Hose pipe is a lt easier than a water hog!

If you want to see a variety of those, if your passing us, pop in and have a look in the shop and don't forget to ask for the Funsters discount:thumb:

Peter

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Nobody's a bigger plonker than me. I barely know where to plug the hook up. As for changing gas cannisters .................. don't make me suicidal!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you use a hose dont forget to have several different tap connections/adapters

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I carry 3 lengths of hose, because I have experienced different access to the site water supplies in the past. No need to unroll a 25 metre hose when you can get withing a metre & use a short hose.:Smile:

OP
OP
K

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Hello Peter, I am coming down to you soon to buy a Planet 3 so I will speak to you then
Kennygd:thumb:

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We have 3 50 foot flat hoses we use. Also a plastic water can. We have managed for 5 years with this setup.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I use a 25ltr container and a submersable pump. Hose pipe maybe handy when on a site, but if you are on a rally field it is not always easy to get within hose pipe distance of a tap

Andy

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Kenny,

It's worth grabbing a few of the standard Hoselock connectors. Many taps you'll come across are threaded, so the one in the pic below, (plastic or brass) just screws on and then your standard female connector will fit.

Link Removed

No need to feel like a plonker. It's tough being a newbie, and we've all been there.

Enjoy your tour in March.

Paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
before connecting your hose to a site tap, give the tap a wipe with a disinfectant cloth or spray.

some inconsiderate campers have been known to rinse or part fill their toilet cassettes under the tap.....with the tap in the cassette so they dont get splashed :Eeek:

same applies if a hose is already fitted to the tap.....remove it and use your own hose....after cleaning the tap.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Kenny,

It's worth grabbing a few of the standard Hoselock connectors. Many taps you'll come across are threaded, so the one in the pic below, (plastic or brass) just screws on and then your standard female connector will fit.

Link Removed

No need to feel like a plonker. It's tough being a newbie, and we've all been there.

Enjoy your tour in March.

Paul

and one of these for taps with no thread.....

ps..the one above comes in two sizes.

Link Removed

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Kennygd

Hi Kennygd,

We have two hosepipes of different lenghts, and a small plastic water container. if near enough we use the hose if not I top the tank up every day with the water container and funnel.

The other thing is emptying the waste, for that if we are moving off we use the dump point if staying we use a waste hog about every two days.

Also I notice you are in Chatham, I am next door to you in Rochester so if you need any help give me a shout.:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
You will gradualy decide what you are most comfortable with.

For us, a water container to fill at the tap and then pour into the tank, plus a bucket for emptying waste, are essential. Not all sites have motorhome service points and it can be dificult to position the van near taps etc (and if you are on a site for a while you may not want to move the van since it means tidying it up!)

We do carry a hose as well for the times we can get near a tap. As others have said, you need different ends and be aware of what other people may have used the taps for - having witnessed drinking water taps, particularly on aires, being used for loo cleaning. An advantage of the water container is that it does not have to touch the tap so is potentially more hygenic.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
For us, a water container to fill at the tap and then pour into the tank, plus a bucket for emptying waste, are essential. Not all sites have motorhome service points and it can be dificult to position the van near taps etc (and if you are on a site for a while you may not want to move the van since it means tidying it up!)

Thanks :thumb:. I'm picking up my little Danbury Dynamic in March and the fresh water tank gets filled from inside the back door, with the sink/grey water outlet by the rear offside wheel. I was wondering whether a fresh water tank to fill, and a bucket to empty the waste, seemed a sensible start.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Depends on where you are going I have a hose in the locker permanently, but if going to a rally I take the aquaroll and use a submersible pump a waste hog to empty waste water.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: it saves you having to drive to the tap

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We have 2 x 15 metres and 1 x 7 metres of hose with as many different fitting sizes that I've been able to find. We also have an 8 litre water carrier which we can top up with using a funnel.
For emptying the waste we have a 10 metre length of crinkly hose with a screw connector that fits on to the waste dump outlet plus about 5 metres of narrower crinkly hose that will extend the 10 metre length just in case. We sometimes bucket off a few 10s of litres of waste if we don't have a suitable drain near by - saves moving.
We only travel with about 25 litres of FW in the tank and try to empty the waste water before hitting the road. Also empty the loo (if it's over half full) This can save something like 100 to 150 kgs on payload (about the same weight as me and the missus put together).

John

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Funny how,when I'm trying to sort a problem,a post seems to pop up on here about a similar subject.:Smile:
I carry 2 hoses-one of 5mtrs and one of 15mtrs-each has a Female connector on each end and one end has a nozzle and the other has a tap connector (both of these have male connectors) so,simples. Yesterday I was searching for a connector with a male connection on each side to make joining hoses together a quick operation-neither our local garden centre or Halfrauds had such a thing,nor could I find one on the Hozelock website.
So,does one exsist ? How do you join hoses together without removing one adaptor off each and putting in 'hose joint' ?

Our M/H is of modest size and storage space is at a premium-so aqua rolls etc are a no-no,but being small it's no hassle to move-it's all a compromise eh :ROFLMAO:

It might be worth pointing out that EHU leads are in a similar league to hoses,in that it is a good idea to carry different lengths to avoid having a long length of uncoiled lead spread all around the M/H if the Hook-up point is only just behind you ::bigsmile:

MIke.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
connectors) Yesterday I was searching for a connector with a male connection on each side to make joining hoses together a quick operation-neither our local garden centre or Halfrauds had such a thing,nor could I find one on the Hozelock website.
So,does one exsist ? How do you join hoses together without removing one adaptor off each and putting in 'hose joint' ?

I have now discovered Double Male connector 2291-however it seems to have a high desirability factor and does not stay long on shelves ::bigsmile: Must be Darksiders cornering the market.

Mike.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have now discovered Double Male connector 2291-however it seems to have a high desirability factor and does not stay long on shelves ::bigsmile: Must be Darksiders cornering the market.

Mike.
B&Q do these, their own brand.

I always go to their hose department for a good browse through the connectors to see if there are any new types. I keep a good assortment in a bank change bag.

Simplest method I find is to get a 30metre flat hose, cut off 10 metres.This enables you to cope with almost any tap situation.

I have a £4.99 oil funnel from Halfords and a collapsible water carrier (camping shop) to top up the tank when pitched up. A suction pad hook keeps the funnel in place when pouring water from the carrier.

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
boiler dump valve

its happened to me twice now ?, filled up , parked up & set up camp & found out that my dump valve has been partly opened , so i always double check now & make sure its not draining away slowly , theres no worse feeling after driving , setting up camp loseing the water when you are a fair distance away from the water tap, & it tires the wife out keep walking up & down with the watering can ?, it also only lasts about 3 days before we need a refill 120ltrs , i carry also a straight connector ? so that if i borrow my neighbours waterpipe , i can join it to mine for more length . also a submersible pump with 12 volt plug ?, borrow a water butt & transfer & fill up with no lifting involved .
brian:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back