Advice about Trojan battery for Webasto diesal heating ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Can anyone tell us if TROJAN T105 BATTERY 's are safe to use inside the MH. In a bed locker for example ?
I know they are used in fork lifts and cherry pickers etc, but do they gas off and need to be in a external locker?
We are looking to upgrade our 2 sealed leisure batteries , to give us more power when using the ( Webasto ) diesel heating.
If they are suitable would we be better off linking 2 x 6v or 2 x 12v ?
Ive seen them on ebay for £115 plus £10 delivery (cheapest price ) but id rather buy from a recommended reputable dealer or supplier in our area.
Thanks
Ralph

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Can anyone tell us if TROJAN T105 BATTERY 's are safe to use inside the MH. In a bed locker for example ?
I have the same heating system in my Campervan and have in the past used battery supply inside. Never experienced any problem but they were vented off. Now I just run one 110ah which is external and sufficient for my needs.

If you have the space then personally i'd go for 2 x 12v set up.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
They can be used in an internal location but they should be in a vented, sealed battery box.

I'd use 2 x 6v

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
upgrade MH battery charger from 15 amp??

Thanks
Bryan and Bullet guy for the input.
Ive looked at loads of trojans, i just linked one I'd booked marked. We've realized that the webasto needs a good battery bank and charging system. So we are wanting to upgrade both. We think Trojan will be the best batteries, 2x6v and link them.
We are also looking for advice on upgrading the motor home battery charger. We currently have a 15 amp mains/alternator charger.
Although we have a Honda EU20I , we are looking for the most effective way of re charging the batteries. When away from hook up . I may have to start another thread with this being a different question.
Ralph

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks

We are also looking for advice on upgrading the motor home battery charger. We currently have a 15 amp mains/alternator charger.
Although we have a Honda EU20I , we are looking for the most effective way of re charging the batteries. When away from hook up . I may have to start another thread with this being a different question.
Ralph

BUMP....
We don't want to take the Genny if its only for a few days off hook up. I think we'll be OK in the summer with the solar panel , batteries. The heating wont be on as much, if at all.
Cheers
Ralph

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
2x6v and link them.
Ralph

If you have 2 x 6V and one fails you've got nowt.

2 x 12V and you could run on either.

Capacity and volume are just the same either way.

Are panicking over nothing ? Have you determined how long you can run on batteries taking into account charging on the move and summer weather ?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph's at work Bryan , so you'll have to bare with my very ltd knowledge of the matter:roflmto:
We have found the Webasto to be brilliant whilst driving, arriving on site with a warm MH etc. Its also very quick to warm the habitation space. :thumb:
The problem we are having is that after a couple of days it has cut out through the night . We have awoken to cold noses and shivering dogs!! We have used it over the coldest nights in the last few months.
We have taken it back to the dealers for them to check it out.
Ralph thinks its a problem with the wiring or earth or something.
His batteries show a good charge with the multimeter.But its as though the batteries arnt full enough. Yet non of the other electric things in the MH are affected , they still work. The webasto is not supposed to cut out unless power drops to 10 or below . Weve never gone as low as that even in the caravan s ever.
If it was that low nothing else would work in the MH.
The dealers are checking the wiring, running the batteries down to get a reading from both ends. As isaid its all gobbledygook to me.:RollEyes: The green light on the webasto dial is flashing 5 quick and 3 slow, which is a vaultage fault code. When it cuts out.
We think we need to make sure theres nothing wrong with the heater or wiring , before we shell out for better batteries.
No doubt he'll be on later to see what everyones advised.
Bev

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No doubt he'll be on later to see what everyones advised.
Bev

Sounds more like the heater or it's wiring. I hope you get someone who knows what they are doing, not easy, MH are a small market and diesel heated ones even smaller. You might need a holiday in Germany to sort it. ( Is the heater German ? )

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I'm having a Webasto fitted to my MH - I spoke to the Webasto technical dept. about wiring and distance from battery. The guy told me that voltage drop was a common problem brought about by people using too small a diameter cable, it needs to be chunky stuff (Sorry can't recall the exact spec.) and he told me to keep it within 2 metres. I understand that there's quite a hefty currrent drain when the motor starts and you'd be surprised how many volts can be lost on a cable run that is too long and too thin.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I'm having a Webasto fitted to my MH - I spoke to the Webasto technical dept. about wiring and distance from battery. The guy told me that voltage drop was a common problem brought about by people using too small a diameter cable, it needs to be chunky stuff (Sorry can't recall the exact spec.) and he told me to keep it within 2 metres. I understand that there's quite a hefty currrent drain when the motor starts and you'd be surprised how many volts can be lost on a cable run that is too long and too thin.

This is what Ralph was trying to explain to the dealer. Exactly.
Dealer thinks its the batteries causing the problem. Ralph thinks exactly what you've said.
Even down to the 2 mtr length cable.:thumb:
The thing is this was installed from new. Not an extra . Manufactured like this.
Dealer says previous owner has never complained about it. Theyve done all the services from new for him. If there IS a problem he insists he will fix it. Even if it means replacing the unit. We'll see.
Ralph is up on tech stuff and isn't blinded by science as am i . We are just seeing what the dealer comes up with. Glad you mentioned this though. Back up what Ralph was thinking.
Bev

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Sounds more like the heater or it's wiring. I hope you get someone who knows what they are doing, not easy, MH are a small market and diesel heated ones even smaller. You might need a holiday in Germany to sort it. ( Is the heater German ? )

Webasto head office is a little nearer to home. Sunny Doncaster , of all places:thumb:

The heaters themselves are known to be bomb proof.
Ralph is sure its the wiring.
Just need the dealer to see it now, then sort it for us, under warranty.:winky: I dont think we will have a problem with them doing so.
Bev

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Webasto head office is a little nearer to home. Sunny Doncaster , of all places:thumb:
Bev

AMAZING.

Not that I believe the sunny bit.

It is German though. So don't mention the war.

Company History
The Company was founded in 1901 by Wilhelm Baier in Esslingen, where it made wire products and ironware. In 1907, it moved to Stockdorf. The name Webasto was coined from the initial letters of (W)ilhelm (Ba)ier (Sto)ckdorf. To begin with, its business focused on bicycle parts and household appliances. The first car sunroofs were produced in the 1930s and were followed in the 1950s by parking heaters for automobiles. From that time on, Webasto has been one of the automobile industry’s key suppliers, and counts among the most successful family businesses.

Not a lot of people know this.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Brian ,
you are , as always a mind of wonderful information::bigsmile:
Don't worry we wont mention the war.
Bev

Losos,
Ive tried to reply to your PM , but cant as your in box is full , have a clear out , and you may squeeze mine in! Bev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back