Could this be the Holy Grail we have been looking for? (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Is this the future, making batteries, solar panels and generators obsolite

Link Removed

Doug...

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
The sooner the better I say - it will remove about 120kgs from the gross weight!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi sounds like Truma's LPG fuel cell, which was supposed to come out last year, but I believe may be available this year. Only snag, its around €6000 and is as big as my 5kva genny.

Link Removed

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is this the future, making batteries, solar panels and generators obsolite

Doug...

It won't ever make them obsolete, just as torches and electric lighting never made candles obsolete ..

It still uses hydrocarbon fuel which is getting more expensive and scarcer, so I don't see it as a panacea .. just another tool in the box.

Solar is the way forward, if and when they improve the performance and reduce the costs..

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Solar is the way forward, if and when they improve the performance and reduce the costs..

.............and call me cynical, but I can't help but think that they already have!:Eeek:
Might sound potty, but I recon that the technology is being supressed until they've milked everything they can out of fossil fuels.........then they'll start raping us on solar!:Angry:
At the moment, they can still make HUGE fortunes on fossil fuels, so why should they turn thier back on it? It's not about the enviroment etc, it's about proffit.

....or am I just a cynical pillock thats wrong?:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi sounds like Truma's LPG fuel cell, which was supposed to come out last year, but I believe may be available this year. Only snag, its around €6000 and is as big as my 5kva genny.

Link Removed

Olley

I read that as "Out of 100 test units, 1 exploded, 40 lasted a week, 30 lasted two weeks, 20 lasted a whole month and 9 are still going but only generating half power. Houston we have a problem".

Cynical me ???????

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
The concept seems to be sound, though to read any further requires a payment of $31!!

The shame is, and nobody seems to have picked it up, that the article was written in 1999. Could be, for the reason that we haven't heard any more, is that it clearly didn't work!

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It won't ever make them obsolete, just as torches and electric lighting never made candles obsolete ..

It still uses hydrocarbon fuel which is getting more expensive and scarcer, so I don't see it as a panacea .. just another tool in the box.

Yup! Juust as soon as we have worked out how to keep the sun shining! :sin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You just have that feeling that in 50 years people will look back and laugh at what we are doing when the Sun was there all the time.

Might be for you suvvern gits but oop north we get it only 50% of the time, on average.

We'll never get a practical solar powered vehicle but we will get fuel cell powered vehicles.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years

I agree Jim although I have always thought that Tidal Power must have huge power generating potential for somewhere like UK. I am no engineer but tides are always there twice a day every day..... the one Achilles heel of solar and wind.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Might be for you suvvern gits but oop north we get it only 50% of the time, on average.

We'll never get a practical solar powered vehicle but we will get fuel cell powered vehicles.

You keep calling me a 'suvvern git' and I might start to think you dont like me.:roflmto:

Wasn't really thinking about solar powered vehicles, just solar power in general.

It is ( sort of ) only a small step that we have to take. solar power stations already exist, storing produced solar power in the national grid is already possible, we just need to work out how to produce it in spain ( or space) and pipe it here.

It must, theoretically, be possible for each house etc to be self sufficient for power in the not to distant future but I cannot see big business, or government, being to keen on that.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wasn't really thinking about solar powered vehicles, just solar power in general.

It must, theoretically, be possible for each house etc to be self sufficient for power in the not to distant future but I cannot see big business, or government, being to keen on that.

Narrowing the view to MH leisure power is not going to get us far, it's too limited. The energy problem is much bigger.

Yes I agree, zero energy housing is just about here, though I'm not sure about cost or coping with a UK winter. But if we got 9 months of zero energy it would be a big bonus. I doubt the existing house stock could be converted economically though.

Think of all those impoverished African countries, all that sun, two minor problems, the investment and terrorism.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back