Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Both do the same job, I got mine from Maplins for a £45 (the same as the one priced at £129.99), wait until they have them on offer or Aldi/Lidl have them in again as they are way overpriced :Eeek::Eeek:.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
apart from the obvious..black or white dish :Doh::ROFLMAO:

the 99 quid one uses the Porty receiver....a basic, entry level receiver. (correction..its a Comag)
i have a porty and they do work ok.

the other is maybe a Zhender (or similar) receiver...much better quality.
i have that receiver as well and use it all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats is a better system for that money in my opinion but the 12v is another£40
as has been said the suite case type are generally available at around the £60 mark
keep looking try e-bay
If you are new to carry around sat systems it should be pointed out they appear to be notoriously fiddly to set up, UNTIL you have been shown once:thumb: then they are a 5 min job
many folk have given up and sold them on as they cant cope with the uncertainty but they do work and work well
so look out for 2nd hand ones or even B grade from Maplins as many are returned as useless due to impatience
Geo

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We recently bought a comag suitcase satellite system brand new of ebay for under £40 with signal finder. Works a treat and are using it in the house at the moment.

Look on ebay under camping satellite, suitcase satellite and portable satellite and remember not everyone spells satellitte properly so do various spellings xxxxx good luck

Neilm

Free Member
Dec 10, 2009
LONDON
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
The one that is black is a plastic dish..

the grey one is metal.

they work well:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
satellite systems

Here is another one a tad more exspensive but I noticed this has a folding arm from the dish, does that mean all the others arms are fixed making it more difficult to store.

http://www.aerialshack.com/portable...-p-971.html?osCsid=df1l0403d3rj46vjq77lpl0ke6

Plus I believe you need the bigger dish in poor reception areas, ie Scotland or remote Wales.

Rob and Chris.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Once you have learned to set them up they are fine, but they do take time to get right, I have changed the black plastic dish for a spare sky dish i had and boy did it make a difference in the time it took to locate the satelite, with the sky dish i had no problems locating the satelite signal quickly.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I used one of the suitcase sat dishes all over Europe for years & never failed to get a picture.

You don't need a bigger dish for northern Scotland as someone said, but you have to remember the dish will be pointing down as it's an offset dish & does not point directly at the satellite up there. :thumb:

What you also need to remember is that it is a learning curve that will take time to master, so practise before you go away. :Doh:

Neilm

Free Member
Dec 10, 2009
LONDON
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
The maplins one do have folding arms..

The b&q one is not 12 volts its 240:thumb:

whiskers27

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
none yet but hopefully many
Mine was a nightmare

I have just sold my suitcase type one on ebay my experience of it was a nightmare it maybe that im just stupid but I had it just over a year and only got it to work a couple of times and i think that was sheer luck. However when it worked it was really good. It caused a few arguments with me and the other half ive spent hours outside trying to get a picture without sucess with a sat finder and following the instructions.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Pugboxter
Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
Thanks for the replies everyone :Smile:

After much deliberation I have gone for a bigger dish, I have a removable pole idea for mounting both the dish and TV aerial on the roof accessed from my rooflight.

This is the very light dish and folding arm
Link Removed
Cheap LNB
Link Removed

I just need to choose a cheap receiver now, my plans for running on just 12v have gone out of the window when I took a gamble on this TV [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001U2S8FG/ref=oss_product"](Samsung)[/ame] hoping it would have an external transformer, but alas it is built in.

So I'm now looking into getting a small invertor to run both the TV and satellite system for what I hope will only be short periods, but this really then leads onto getting a solar panel too :RollEyes: one thing leads to another.

I'll get there eventually, by the way the picture on the TV is fantastic, I might have to get a bigger one for home, my old telly seems sadly lacking after viewing this new one :RollEyes:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I have just sold my suitcase type one on ebay my experience of it was a nightmare it maybe that im just stupid but I had it just over a year and only got it to work a couple of times and i think that was sheer luck. However when it worked it was really good. It caused a few arguments with me and the other half ive spent hours outside trying to get a picture without sucess with a sat finder and following the instructions.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Your are not alone I also have a dish and tripod and it is also a nightmare. Trying to talk boss into buying a Glomex dome.
JohnM :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back