Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
heard a whisper that Gib does'st alow c#r#v#n:cry: or motorhomes on the rock, if so wheres the nearest campsite.:Smile:
tia

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
You can park on some waste ground next to the border post. We did intend to stay up by Europa point lighthouse, another brit van was there (had 2 weeks ) but the storm in the night made it impossible to sleep so we came back to the Spanish side about 2am.

You can (or last year we did) drive to Morrisons but I think you could only park for 2 hours. Fuel & drink much cheaper than Spain.

Picture taken on one of the brief times the rain stopped.

Attachments

• Gibraltar.jpg
    Gibraltar.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 53

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would park on the large park outside the gates, we foolishly took the motorhome onto the Rock, drove around and right back off, it is just to small a place to be comfortable driving around the island in a large vehicle.
This is not because we have a problem have been on many strange windy roads in Greece & Morocco.
Gib just felt very claustrophobic in the Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
There hardly any room for a car, never mind a motorhome. But, as already said, you can park outside the gates on a huge amount of wasteland, no problem. l would however, go into Gib to fill up with fuel as its a lot cheaper than anywhere around. There are filling stations just inside so you don't have to drive right into Gib. Also, Morrisons supermarket is just inside, and they sell fuel. Top up on fuel and groceries at the same time.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I spent 3 days in Gibraltar last month. Lots of free parking but few available spaces near the town centre. I went nearly everywhere, and everywhere I saw prohibited motorhome parking, except possibly Europa Point which is the large parking space right at the far end. I am not sure about Europa point because I got to it by driving along roads where motorhomes are banned (but it said nothing about bans on commercial vehicles :winky: )
All the spare parking areas were full with thousands of new white Toyota Land Cruisers as one of their tax dodges is importing and exporting them.
There were two motorhomes parked at Europa point on the site of a closed down cafe, and some motorhomes in Morrison's car park, these are the only motorhomes with windows in I saw anywhere on Gibraltar. Morrisons car park is free but has a limit of 3 hours. Diesel was 69 pence per litre. Inside, Morrisons was like any other Morrisons in Britain, with the prices of English food about 10% more. I bought two excellent hot Crantock Cornish pasties for £2.20 - would have cost more than that in Crantock!
Plenty of room to park any type of vehicle at La Linea the Spanish side of the border, was fine for an overnight stop but I don't know how safe it is to leave it there during the day as it must be obvious to thieves that many of the British registered vehicles will be unoccupied during the day?
Don't buy anything from the Duty & Vat free shops on the high street in Gibraltar - a tourist rip off with prices higher than in England. Just behind the main street are the shops the locals use with prices a bit lower than in Britain.
Most interesting thing was the views from the top of the rock. You can drive part way up but I would not attempt it with anything bigger than an average sized car. You can walk up (but still have to pay) Easiest way is probably the cable car.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to read, but I have to tell it as I saw it.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
When we went up to Europa Point we went past the 100 ton gun through the tunnels :Eeek::Doh::cry: We were stuck with loads of cars behind us, some guy said it was ok & despite the sign saying no motorhomes (every other road was blocked & this seemed the only way we could go) we made it but only just, according to the width & height signs I had about an inch on the width & about 2-3 inches in height :Eeek:. I managed the first one & the wife stood in front to try to guide me through the second one which also had a bend in it. I waited to hear the van scraping the sides but we got away with it, if we had an awning on we wouldn't have made it. The third tunnel was plenty big enough.
This was about a year ago, they had a terrific storm that night, after the hail started I thought it was going to smash the window. :cry:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Take care comming off in a MH,the Spanish have a field day stripping them out looking for duty free,they think its great sport throwing everything onto the tarmac.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I agree with the previous posts about the use of the ground on the Spanish side and Gib not being suitable for MH except for a shopping visit direct to Morrison's.

I would add the the waste ground in La-Liner has water and toilet dumps due to the fact the the services have not been disconnected when the original buildings were knocked down. Also this parking is quite safe due to the constant observation and patrolling of the frontier fence by the Spanish police. We have spent many days there and never heard and bad stories.

Doug...

Last edited:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
When we went up to Europa Point we went past the 100 ton gun through the tunnels :Eeek::Doh::cry: We were stuck with loads of cars behind us, some guy said it was ok & despite the sign saying no motorhomes (every other road was blocked & this seemed the only way we could go) we made it but only just, according to the width & height signs I had about an inch on the width & about 2-3 inches in height :Eeek:. I managed the first one & the wife stood in front to try to guide me through the second one which also had a bend in it. I waited to hear the van scraping the sides but we got away with it, if we had an awning on we wouldn't have made it. The third tunnel was plenty big enough.
This was about a year ago, they had a terrific storm that night, after the hail started I thought it was going to smash the window. :cry:

Thats the way I went but there are height and width restriction signs there now.

Spain is far more motorhome friendly than Gibraltar. And as a long suffering British taxpayer I wish they would give it back to the Spanish. But, like so many other things in Britain, there are a few powerful conservatives who don't want to change anything because they are doing very nicely out of things the way they are.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Peter,

I think the only reason that the British are interested in Gib is for its strategic value to the armed forces.

Lets be honest it cant be for any other reason because its a dump. The best part of it is the road out !!

Jim
:Smile:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Hi Peter,

I think the only reason that the British are interested in Gib is for its strategic value to the armed forces.

Lets be honest it cant be for any other reason because its a dump. The best part of it is the road out !!

Jim
:Smile:

Hi Jim.

Yes I agree. (How much longer we can afford to maintain armed forces around the world to go illegally invading other countries when we have so many problems at home is another question.)
But Gibraltar is a dump that looks good from a distance. The views from the top of the rock on a clear day are fabulous. But there are equally fabulous views to be had on the Spanish side that are far easier to get to. So I agree that its not worth the aggravation of trying to get there with a motorhome, even if you've got cycles. Because of the hilly/narrow/busy streets its not cycle friendly either.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I agree with the previous posts about the use of the ground on the Spanish side and Gib not being suitable for MH except for a shopping visit direct to Morrison's.

I would add the the waste ground in La-Liner has water and toilet dumps due to the fact the the services have not been disconnected when the original buildings were knocked down. Also this parking is quite safe due to the constant observation and patrolling of the frontier fence by the Spanish police. We have spent many days there and never heard and bad stories.

Doug...

Thanks for the update Doug :thumb: I arrived at La Linea (where all the camper vans and lorries were parked) in the dark and left in the morning when it was raining heavily, so never got out of the van and so didn't see much of the parking area, but what I saw of it looked OK :Smile:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
Thats the way I went but there are height and width restriction signs there now.

Spain is far more motorhome friendly than Gibraltar. And as a long suffering British taxpayer I wish they would give it back to the Spanish. But, like so many other things in Britain, there are a few powerful conservatives who don't want to change anything because they are doing very nicely out of things the way they are.

well in that respect spain shoild give up there place in north africa they only doing the same as us :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back