Air suspension (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Peeps,
I pull my KountryLite with a Nissan Navara which has had a air bag suspension upgrade to handle the extra pin weight. Thing is the air bag unit itself "leans" forward, see picture if it worked. Although the dealership assures me that this is OK does anyone who knows about ais sus agree with this. I would have thought it needs to be completely vertical to operate correctly.
JK

Attachments

• Nav air.jpg
    Nav air.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 77

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Peeps,
I pull my KountryLite with a Nissan Navara which has had a air bag suspension upgrade to handle the extra pin weight. Thing is the air bag unit itself "leans" forward, see picture if it worked. Although the dealership assures me that this is OK does anyone who knows about ais sus agree with this. I would have thought it needs to be completely vertical to operate correctly.
JK

My Fitting instructions definitely show the unit vertical...but then again the axle is directly under the chassis cross-member.

In the photo, your axle looks slightly rear of the cross member/fitting point.There seems to be no way of squaring it up.The bottom of the "bag" seems squarely over the axle which would make sense, whereas the top is wrapped around the chassis member.

Both look like they cannot be moved.

Does this have the effect of slightly "twisting" the air bag on compression...ie Will it compress squarely on itself?

I'd ask a fitting company?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Peeps,
JK
Just looked at mine and without taking off the wheels i cannot give definitive answer But one side vertical other side(drivers on rhd.) looks faintly off vertical not quite as much as yours as a guesstimate if yours was about 82 degs mine would be 85.Regards Al

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just looked at mine and without taking off the wheels i cannot give definitive answer But one side vertical other side(drivers on rhd.) looks faintly off vertical not quite as much as yours as a guesstimate if yours was about 82 degs mine would be 85.Regards Al

Is your axle mounted squarely on the leaf springs?

I would have expected it to be the same both sides?Do you experience any unusual tyre wear?

I assume it tows squarely?I have seen someone loosen the shackles on leaf sprung units before and adjust an axle when they replaced it for another but I would have thought it required expert alignment.

Cannot see from the photo whether the lower mounts are fixed on the leaf spring?

Cheers for the very interesting post as we were/are seriously looking at 5th wheel units.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
doesnt look right to me.....
when the suspension compresses the leaf spring center and axle will move rearwards slightly due to the swinging spring hanger being at the back thus making the bag even more out of vetical.

looks like its already putting an eneven load on the bag.

as AD said it doesnt look like it can be moved though.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
I shall just pop out and checkmine..........................::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................seems like I don't have any:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.............oh well my truck must be up to the job in the first place ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

Jul 9, 2009
Weymouth,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T700
Exp
20yrs+
Looks slightly more pronounced than mine, is your's jacked up under the axle or body seeing as you have the wheel off, if you have the the body up then the axle will tend to hang on an arc from the front hanger more and look worse. So when the full weight is actually bearing on the air bag the whole set up should look more upright.
By the way if any one out there is interested in an 06 Navara Aventura fully kitted out for towing a 5ver then please PM me as our experience of fifth wheelers was very short lived and disappointing, no names or slagging off, only a couple of members here know of our problems, but thats another story.
Any one know of a large Hymer for sale,mid to late 90's money waiting.:winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Looks slightly more pronounced than mine, is your's jacked up under the axle or body seeing as you have the wheel off, if you have the the body up then the axle will tend to hang on an arc from the front hanger more and look worse. So when the full weight is actually bearing on the air bag the whole set up should look more upright.
By the way if any one out there is interested in an 06 Navara Aventura fully kitted out for towing a 5ver then please PM me as our experience of fifth wheelers was very short lived and disappointing, no names or slagging off, only a couple of members here know of our problems, but thats another story.

Kountrylite eh?

Now I'm intrigued....

We are looking at 5ers and wonder whether the build quality really varies that much...

From your post I guess the answer is.......YES.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Kountrylite eh?

Now I'm intrigued....

We are looking at 5ers and wonder whether the build quality really varies that much...

From your post I guess the answer is.......YES.

If you are thinking of doing a lot of continental,, and like to get off site and visit quaint places and tow a toad or even a toad on a trailer.. :Cool:

Stay with what you have.. :thumb:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi J K.

The Leafs on these type of road springs are centered by a center bolt that go's through each leaf and at the bottom where the spring sits on the axle ends with a , not a bolt head, but with a dowel that is located in the axle bed. What can happen if the spring is not tightly pulled down on the axle bed is the axle moves, slides, backward and shears of the dowel at the end of the center bolt. which appear to be the problem you have.
To rectify you will need to jack up the chassis and support with axle stands, so that the axle hangs down, undo the U bolts, let the axle drop clear of the spring and check that the U bolt dowel has or has not sheered.
If it has you will have to remove the spring from the vehicle and fit a new center bolt. the head of the center bolt will still be in the axle bed and need to be removed.

If you do this your self the chassis ' MUST ' be supported by axle stands.

Your van is running down the road slightly crab. This is a potencialy dangerous and could involve you in a very serious accident. CHECK IT OUT :shout:
If you do the work yourself remember road springs are usually shorter at the front of the spring than at the back. don't fit it the wrong way round .

Good look, Pudseykeith :thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
If you are thinking of doing a lot of continental,, and like to get off site and visit quaint places and tow a toad or even a toad on a trailer.. :Cool:

Stay with what you have.. :thumb:

Wise words as ever from Old Mo. I think it is "horses for courses", it all depends on how you use your holiday time I guess, one thing is for sure though the quality of the fifth wheels does very tremendously, as does the quality of the tow vehicles. The old adage "you pays your money and you takes your choice really does apply here"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

sorry john...got to disagree with you.....to an extent.

in the pic the front is to the right and the spring is already at its lowest point.
the bag is leaning to the front so when the spring is raised the 'arc' will cause the spring center to move towards the rear making the bottom of the bag even more rearwards.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just had mine done and yes it is slightly off vertical.

Is that one or both sides Les?

I think it's down to the original design/build.

I cannot imagine it'll cause any problems as the Bag will compensate.

By the way....Is there anything that is recommended to prolong the life ogf the rubber on these things or just leave well alone?

It's not as if the sunlight can accelerate the aging of the rubber :RollEyes:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
American Dream;248291 By the way....Is there anything that is recommended to prolong the life ogf the rubber on these things or just leave well alone? It's not as if the sunlight can accelerate the aging of the rubber :RollEyes:[/QUOTE said:
Yes. Paint them (or spray them) with tyre treatment.
I use a tyre treatment made by Concept Chemicals in Stockport (Cheshire). It's the only thing I found to protect RV tyres without it crackling as soon as you move the rig. I found on my RV's that due to neglect over the years, the airbags can become brittle and crack. Because it's awkward to paint them, I fill a kitchen cleaner spray bottle with tyre treatment and spray them. Keeps the rubber supple.
The treatment isn't cheap at about £30 a gallon but it really is superb stuff. I've been using it for about 7 or 8 years after a collegue at work gave some to me. (His missus works for the Co). If you ring Concept, they'll advise you're nearest stockist.

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Nav sus

Pud,
I have the Navara workshop manual, can't see pin you mentioned?
JK
Sorry about picture had to frig around with it to get the size down.

Attachments

• Nav sus 3.jpg
    Nav sus 3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 12

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back