Yet another VIN plate weight question. (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Recently picked up my 2007 (2006 model) Geist Spirit 560, Fiat Ducato 2.0 base.

I understand that the max weight is 3200kg including a payload of 450kg, as this was stated from a number of van owners/dealers when I was looking at these vans.

Problem is the VIN plate says -
3000 (crossed out and 3200 stamped next to it).
1600 (1)
1650 (2)

V5 says 3500kg.

As the 3000 was restamped as 3200, then surely the axle weights should also have been altered too reflect this? Also, there is the V5 discrepancy!

Any thoughts on this gratefully received.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the vin plate should never be altered in any way...if its been uprated from 3000kg to 3200kg it should have had a new plate with that weight on it fitted by the converters.

the axle weights are set in stone and cant be changed without major component replacement...axles etc.

beast to ring DVLA and ask them to check the actual recorded weight but i bet it comes back as 3500kg as whats on the V5 is an exact copy of their records.

next step will be to contact the converters and ask their advise, but if they changed the plate details i wouldnt hold out much hope of a satifactory answer.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the original vehicle manufacturer can , and does on occasion , change the original vin plate ; my hymer on a ducato chassis was changed by fiat
thereafter a new plate must be fitted , and it appears that the last plate fitted is definitive

~I have also seen the original plate blank from fiat on a euromobil ; euromobil added a second plate when they constructed the body , and this is the legal plate

it is more difficult to be definitive about axle weights ....this might be limited by the tyre size fitted , and a wheel /tyre change might get you an upgrade

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Do motorhome manufacturers always put their own VIN plates on vans, and where would I find mine? I've looked around the cab doors but no luck !!!!!

There clearly should be one as it's rated at 3200kg max.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do motorhome manufacturers always put their own VIN plates on vans, and where would I find mine? I've looked around the cab doors but no luck !!!!!

There clearly should be one as it's rated at 3200kg max.

your will be under the bonnet on the panel above the radiator...

looks like this or very similar...all the same no matter what the make..

Link Removed

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
your will be under the bonnet on the panel above the radiator...

looks like this or very similar...all the same no matter what the make..

I have one there, as mentioned at the start of the tread (the one that's altered), but I am looking for the convertors later VIN plate? Is that likely to be hidden somewhere under the bonnet too, as I can't see it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have one there, as mentioned at the start of the tread (the one that's altered), but I am looking for the convertors later VIN plate? Is that likely to be hidden somewhere under the bonnet too, as I can't see it?

sorry, i misunderstood....

the converters plate should be near the original as its the easiest place to fit it.

if the converter hasnt upgraded the gross weight...ie: they used the chassis as it left the factory ....then there wont be another plate.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006

Our second vin plate which was put on by swift is behind the passenger seat on a wooden panel in the habbitation area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back