HELP!! Gas problem in Spain!! (1 Viewer)

K8inspain

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
Hi
Can anyone help please. We are trying to fit a spanish propane bottle into our van (Rapido 740f) in place of a calor one, following advice found on forums here. Got all the bits, got it connected up, but can't get any gas through. Where are we going wrong?? Bottle is a full one, new regulator, etc... Husband getting very ratty!!:cry:
Thanks
Karen

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Hi
Can anyone help please. We are trying to fit a spanish propane bottle into our van (Rapido 740f) in place of a calor one, following advice found on forums here. Got all the bits, got it connected up, but can't get any gas through. Where are we going wrong?? Bottle is a full one, new regulator, etc... Husband getting very ratty!!:cry:
Thanks
Karen

Make sure that you have the switch turn on this should be on top of the regulator which should be a Spanish regulator or you have not locked the regulator to the bottle to do this when you connect the regulator make sure you lift the bottom part of the regulator and then push it down hard onto the gas bottle.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if you have bought and are using a spannish push on regulator have you flipped the little gadget in the top of the regulator (usually colour coded to match the regulator top).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , don't know what you have done but will have a guess
you have a vehicle with an on board regulator , but instead of fitting an adaptor to the spanish bottle you have fitted a regulator so that the pressure is too low

so start by posting what your original system is like eg

calor propane bottle
high pressure hose to regulator on vehicle

am I close ?

Sasha

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
10 years
Hi Karen
We had the same problem, someone showed us where we were going wrong,
could be your problem as well.
The regulator has to be pressed hard down and the collar pressed down as well
the guy told us you should be able to lift the bottle up by the regulator if it is connected
correctly. Hope that helps.

James

OP
OP
K

K8inspain

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
well , don't know what you have done but will have a guess
you have a vehicle with an on board regulator , but instead of fitting an adaptor to the spanish bottle you have fitted a regulator so that the pressure is too low

so start by posting what your original system is like eg

calor propane bottle
high pressure hose to regulator on vehicle

am I close ?
Sounds about right, although I am very bad at this sort of thing! Should we not have a regulator then?? We were told we would need this?
Have checked wth husband, and yes this does apear to be the problem - too much regulation going on.

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
if you have a regulator fixed to the vehicle [ if in doubt ask a couple of other motorhomers ] then you didn't have a regulator fitted onto the bottle ; instead you had a hose which delivered gas at full pressure to the regulator , all newish vehicles have this system [ I had one 20 years ago ! ]

if this is indeed your system [ please get someone to look if you have any doubt ] then your problem is easily solved

go to the nearest repsol GAS agent , and buy an ADAPTOR whch clips on to a spanish bottle and gives you a left hand gas thread to screw on a high pressure hose ; this thread is more or less a european standard , it is the same as french /german/dutch [ and calor dumpy butane ]bottles

your high pressure uk propane hose doesn't fit this so go to a caravan dealer [ where are you ?] and buy one of the required length ...the fitting at the regulator end is universal

assemble [ neoprene washers so not too tight ]

light gas

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you do have an onboard regultor...fixed to the locker wall etc, then DO NOT use a standard hose.
you MUST use a high pressure hose to connect reg to bottle.

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
Will be doing a large tour on the continent soon and this is the kind of thing I don't want to spend my time doing. What is the best solution? I have an Irish propane bottle (Calor) at the moment with a (37mBar) reg attached to the top of the bottle. the bottle is around 12kg's.

I will be in France, Spain, Portugal and Morrocco. From what I gather getting your bottle filled in Morrocco is easy enough. But does anyone know places to get it filled elsewhere? I also have a UK propane adapter from previous.

cheers

G

OP
OP
K

K8inspain

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
Just like to thank everyone for their help on this. We have now got all the right bits, and we have gas!!! So off tomorrow on a trip along the coast, as its quite nippy up here in the mountains, even with the lovely sun we've had today!
Thanks all :thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
so what exactly did you get wrong?

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
You have to be very careful when changing your gas set up , there are always people onsite that appear to be very knowledgable but remember they are messing with your expensive motorhome who,s fault is it when it goes wrong?
A camper with a caravan on our site took advice from a motorhomer and fitted an adapter instead of a regulater to his Spanish bottle , when he lit his cooker 6 foot flames roared out from the unregulated gas he was lucky.
My advice is get more than one opinion and make your own decision
Wanderer

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
I am not sure on this so you should get some more advice i thought it was a must here to have a regulator on the gas bottle here in Spain also i think you have to turn the gas of from the bottle when driving,

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
kenspain
never has been true that you have to have a regulator on the bottle in spain ...where did you get that from ? spanish motorhomes now have on board regulators like the rest of europe anyway
turn off gas at bottle is a good idea wherever you are !

K8inspain

as you say you previously had a uk calor propane connected to your on board regulator ...this has a different thread for the high pressure hose to fit to ; how did you you connect your new spanish adaptor to the on board regulator? the high pressure hose is a different one

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
kenspain
never has been true that you have to have a regulator on the bottle in spain ...where did you get that from ? spanish motorhomes now have on board regulators like the rest of europe anyway

K8inspain

as you say you previously had a uk calor propane connected to your on board regulator ...this has a different thread for the high pressure hose to fit to ; how did you you connect your new spanish adaptor to the on board regulator? the high pressure hose is a different one

Sorry i meant that I was told that the gas must be turned of at the bottle. As my first motor home the only way to turn of the gas was from the inside and not on top of the bottle.this had to be done for my ITV here sorry again if i miss lead anyone

OP
OP
K

K8inspain

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
kenspain

K8inspain

Not entirely sure how it went, but a neighbour here has a (UK) motorhome and he gave us some fitments and tubing, and we got the rest from the local ironmongers. Husband has tried to explain further but he may as well be speaking swahili and unfortunately doesn't do computers, sorry :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back