fresh water hose (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Hi.1st time user.I am looking for a food grade water hose.I have got a flat hose from towsure but it has leaks all along .can anyone advise on type of hose.any help appreciated.:Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I am on my third flat hose and this one is as bad as the others. They all have leaked after a few months use. They seem to develop pin holes along the length and could be used as a good garden spinkler.

I wont be spending £20+ on another one!!

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I am still on my first one which I bought 10 years ago, it has been used for six months every year and does not leak ( Touch wood :thumb: ) After every use I squeeze any remaining water out and leave the end hanging for any drips to escape. It's a blue lay flat hose on a white wind up reel, 25m and I think I paid £25 for it.

I would never use the green garden hose, but that's just me, I know lots of people do use it with apparently no ill effects.

Phil.

ps I bet it will leak now, should keep my big mouth shut, but I reckon I've had my money's worth.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I to many years ago purchased a flat hose, that developed the customary leaks along the side. This got binned and ever since have used a normal garden hose, which is years old. I normally make up a sterilising solution and immerse the hose in it at least twice a year, with no ill effects yet and used for more years than I care to remember.
Mine is cut into two lengths with joiners to make up to a long hose if required.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I too have bought flat hose and had the same problem of holes developing within a year and now use garden hose..

However, I believe the holes are caused by carelessness, by rolling up dirty, the small bits of grip then puncture the waterproof skin. This could be prevented by running the hose though a bucket of clean water as it is rolled up.

If space and payload were tight I would buy another and take better care of it..

As a footnote, three years fulltime using ordinary hose has caused us no ill effects ... nor have we had any problems that some report of tainted water.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
regular hose and a general ecology water filter.

filter will clean ditch water if you want and will be cleaner than tap water. :thumb:

GREENTUB

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Novice
Hi
Just thought I would mention that we have used the same garden type hose on our yacht (motorhome on water)for the past 15 years without any ill effects whatsoever. It's bulkier and heavier than the flat type but much cheaper and more robust. Cheers

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are not supposed to use garden hose for drinking water as it contravenes the water regs.:Doh:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi.1st time user.I am looking for a food grade water hose.I have got a flat hose from towsure but it has leaks all along .can anyone advise on type of hose.any help appreciated.:Smile:

Hi
Theres a difference between food drade and drinking water(potable) quality so make sure that you know the difference as food drade is not required for drinking water - just potable (drinking water) quality.

Most layflat hoses these days are nade from a normal round hose which is then squashed flat. As the hose goes round again when water is passed through it, and then is squashed flat again this acts like a hinge on the edge of the hose. the constant hinging effect breaks down the plastic (Polythene) and you get the customary line of leaks along the edge.

In practice a normal garden hose are not recommended as these are made from PVC which is not sterile enough. Saying that a lot of people use them sucessfully and usually as long as the water is flushed through for 10-15 seconds before use there are usually no ill effects.

Drinking water quality round hoses are few and far between in UK and storage space is usually an issue.

What length of hose was you looking for?

Phill
(customer services technical support - Hozelock Ltd)

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Flat hose

Hi, has anyone heard on a flat hose that can be used without unrolling the lot? I remember the name Magnahose but can't find any info on the net.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Standard green garden hose and a decent filter worked fine for the last 4 years even in Morocco and still using the original cheapo hose.:Smile:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Hose pipe

as I don't actually drink the water from my blue water holding tank (Use it for washing up only) I always use a garden hose to fill it up. Done so for years and still alive and kicking.
For drinking etc I have a 5 litre can, filled from the tap and filtered before use.:thumb:

In the past I have had 2 x flat blue ones and threw them away after a few weeks as they split as mentioned .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are not supposed to use garden hose for drinking water as it contravenes the water regs.:Doh:

in what sense Ed ?
which regs ?

as far as i'm aware once water leaves the tap it is no longer the responsiblity of the water company.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
in what sense Ed ?
which regs ?

as far as i'm aware once water leaves the tap it is no longer the responsiblity of the water company.

Unless it's contaminated John. Surly that must be the water co's responsibility?

I use Blue hose, it came with the van so not my responsibility or choice.

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Without going into great detail the regs state that water should not be contaminated in any way. Using a garden hose to fill anything with potable water is not acceptable as the toxins in the hose pipe can leech into the water.
Plus the fact if you are not extremley careful to completely remove any residual water and the hose and is left to stand this could lead to stagnant water being transmitted into the water tank.
There's nothing wrong with filling a water tank with garden hose as long as you don't drink the water.
I personally could't give a monkeys what hose anyone uses.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
The problem I find with flat hose is after a week connected up to city water it forgets it's a flat hose and you cant wind it back on the b----dy reel :Sad:

Indy

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
hose

I have been using green hose, the same bit i may add for about 12 years, may be a bit longer, if its new and only had clean water through it cant see a problem, i know my hair and teeth all fell out, and i am as daft as a brush , with more aches and pains, bad joints and millions of other ailments,, but thought that was just old age,,, you always find new things out on this site,, wrong hose type,, well i never :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well Froghopper you bald headed, toothless, senile old git (sorry I couldn't resist that) I don't make the rules, but what I would say is this, if you leave any water in the hose and the sun gets on it, its possible the water left in the hose can reach temperatures above 25c then this is a breeding ground for bacteria including legionella.
Thats why drinking water hoses fall flat.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've always used a garden hose, not the really cheapo ones as they don't last five minutes, but a decent one, usualy cut into two different lenghts (a third and two thirds) with the plastic ends on just one end, we then use a a connecting joint if we need to joint them together (very rare though), or just pop on a suitable adaptor for whatever type of tap we come across.

We always run a bit of water through the hose before using it to fill the tank as well as giving the end which gets shoved in the filler point a good wash first with the clean water. It is always drained well afterwards to get rid of most of the water (and not dragged along the floor when rolling it up to keep it as clean as possible) and then put away immediately in it's bag in a cool locker.

We've done this for years and have always drunk the water from the water tanks in our motorhomes without a problem. We've never had tainted water and are still here to tell the tale!::bigsmile:

We have considered these flat hoses in the past but in our observations we've always thought they looked to be more hassle than they are worth - having to unwind them fully and then rewind them again, being careful not to damage them in the process. They are also more expensive than a standard hose which, if you damage it (or forget it!), can easily be replaced.

To keep the end of the hose in the filler (if doing the job single handed), we find that a small piece of the hose, about 4 inches, jammed in the filler alongside the main hose keeps it 'captive' ... wriggly beggers otherwise!!!:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Without going into great detail the regs state that water should not be contaminated in any way. Using a garden hose to fill anything with potable water is not acceptable as the toxins in the hose pipe can leech into the water.
Plus the fact if you are not extremley careful to completely remove any residual water and the hose and is left to stand this could lead to stagnant water being transmitted into the water tank.
There's nothing wrong with filling a water tank with garden hose as long as you don't drink the water.
I personally couldn't give a monkeys what hose anyone uses.

totally agree Ed !

but thats like saying if you live in tees-side you must not breath due to the chemical plants churning out noxious crap.

if the water company would like to send an inspector to watch me drink from a garden hose, river, horse trough, puddle then take me to court for contravening regs then bring it on...:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Masman
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi
Theres a difference between food drade and drinking water(potable) quality so make sure that you know the difference as food drade is not required for drinking water - just potable (drinking water) quality.

Most layflat hoses these days are nade from a normal round hose which is then squashed flat. As the hose goes round again when water is passed through it, and then is squashed flat again this acts like a hinge on the edge of the hose. the constant hinging effect breaks down the plastic (Polythene) and you get the customary line of leaks along the edge.

In practice a normal garden hose are not recommended as these are made from PVC which is not sterile enough. Saying that a lot of people use them sucessfully and usually as long as the water is flushed through for 10-15 seconds before use there are usually no ill effects.

Drinking water quality round hoses are few and far between in UK and storage space is usually an issue.

What length of hose was you looking for?

Phill
(customer services technical support - Hozelock Ltd)

Hi Phil i am after one around 25 metres.

OP
OP
Masman
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 meters should be enough.thanks:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi, has anyone heard on a flat hose that can be used without unrolling the lot? I remember the name Magnahose but can't find any info on the net.

See here for a layflat that you can use while still rolled up: Link Removed

In product search put "EZ flat hose"

Olley

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
big ed from froghopper

OH . I am morterly hurt and sobbing in my fase teeth glass, my last 2 strands of hair have fallen out in pain , may not respond for a while, need a very long lay down,,,,
but just thought, cheer up man i have read his profile, he lives in derby and watches football,, and thinks i am a sad old git,,,, nar nar la nar nar,, you started it,,,, havnt been this silly since infants,,,, take care friend,,, :ROFLMAO: will still wave,, promise :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back