pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Swift have come to the rescue again :thumb::thumb::thumb:

just received a PM from Swifts engineer, Dave, saying Alko have confirmed the weight and have sent a new plate and certificate.

this is being sent to me via snailmail...cant sent an ally plate via email....:Doh::roflmto: and then a trip to beverley to the DVLA office to get it changed. :thumb:

Why, oh Why, cant all converters be as helpful as swiftgroup.

A big thankyou to Ash and Dave...:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John 2 ways to look at this ::bigsmile: are they being helpful or just correcting what they did wrong in the first place :ROFLMAO::Doh:
terry
PS AN NEARLY 1 HOURS JOURNEY EACH WAY TO Beverly FROM Scarborough -- nice to think they can afford to send YOU new plates for You to stand the time and cost of fuel

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John 2 ways to look at this ::bigsmile: are they being helpful or just correcting what they did wrong in the first place :ROFLMAO::Doh:
terry
PS AN NEARLY 1 HOURS JOURNEY EACH WAY TO Beverly FROM Scarborough -- nice to think they can afford to send YOU new plates for You to stand the time and cost of fuel

No...it wasnt their mistake Terry.

the original dealer, cleveland motorhomes, made the cockup by registering it as 3500kg when the original owner bought it.

it has 3 weight plates on it...fiat @ 3500kg....Alko @ 3850kg and Swift @ 3850kg.

looks like the original (and only other) owner was unaware he was driving it for 6 years overweight and illegaly...:Eeek: as i have done for the last 2 years.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

the original dealer, cleveland motorhomes, made the cockup by registering it as 3500kg when the original owner bought it.

it has 3 weight plates on it...fiat @ 3500kg....Alko @ 3850kg and Swift @ 3850kg.

looks like the original (and only other) owner was unaware he was driving it for 6 years overweight and illegaly...:Eeek: as i have done for the last 2 years.:cry:
Then surly if you have 3 plates on already it is a paper exercise-- fiat original @ 3500 and alko plus swift @ 3850 ????
terry
PS APOLOGIES TO SWIFT :thumb::ROFLMAO:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year

I find this a bit confusing :Doh:
As you have those weight plates fixed to your vehicle confirming its actual weights, have you really been driving overweight? Or, have you just been in the wrong taxation class and have been paying too much road fund licence?

Maybe I missed something?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Then surly if you have 3 plates on already it is a paper exercise-- fiat original @ 3500 and alko plus swift @ 3850 ????
terry
PS APOLOGIES TO SWIFT :thumb::ROFLMAO:
yes..it is just a paper excersize BUT DVLA need sight of the certificate of conformity to put their records straight..which i dont have.
hence the trip to DVLA beverley when it arrives from swift.

I find this a bit confusing :Doh:
As you have those weight plates fixed to your vehicle confirming its actual weights, have you really been driving overweight? Or, have you just been in the wrong taxation class and have been paying too much road fund licence?

Maybe I missed something?

it is registered as 3500kg with DVLA so yes...overweight AND too much tax.
structuraly the van isnt overweight but as its registered as 3500kg, and i run at more than that, it is.

anyone can fix a plate saying 3850kg (PHGV) but it doesnt change the fact its registered as 3500kg. (PLG)
VOSA roadside checks may just mean looking at the plate but if they check the database or tax disc i'll be in deep sh&t....both for overloading and possibly fraud.

Last edited:

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Glad to hear of happy outcome for you John and it didnt cost you anything, back of the net!!!!
Your luck is turning for the best:thumb:
Very kind of Swift to take a look and solve the issue.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Pappajohn,

Glad to hear its sorted.
We found ourselves in the same situation. We had been driving illegally for 3yrs. New to Motorhoming didn't no any better. We think the best advice is to say to everyone check your V5's and vin plates, no matter how long you have had your motorhome.

best wishes Kath & Bill

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn,

Glad to hear its sorted.
We found ourselves in the same situation. We had been driving illegally for 3yrs. New to Motorhoming didn't no any better. We think the best advice is to say to everyone check your V5's and vin plates, no matter how long you have had your motorhome.

best wishes Kath & Bill
agreed Kath & bill,
costs nowt to check and could save a lot of problems with VOSA

i have given a lot of advise on the forum regarding weights and licences...whether is was right or wrong :Doh:...so i should have known better than not query the LPG tax rate.
All it took was just one post for another member that got me thinking....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just got my new V5 back, and yep, now states 4.1 tonnes

So the genny, 2 pushbikes, the motorbike, 20 litres of scotch, 17 chairs, 3 tables can all go back in the van now ... or maybe I will not use all the capacity straight away ! LOL !

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just got my new V5 back, and yep, now states 4.1 tonnes

So the genny, 2 pushbikes, the motorbike, 20 litres of scotch, 17 chairs, 3 tables can all go back in the van now ... or maybe I will not use all the capacity straight away ! LOL !

genny...essential kit

2 bikes OR motorbike...cant ride em all at once.

20ltr scotch...shouldnt last long enough to be a problem

17 chairs and 3 tables....expecting a lot of guests to help with the scotch

just lightened your load by 250kg...what yer problem !!!! :ROFLMAO:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One of our previous 'vans was registered by the dealer with DVLA (I didn't see the original application form so the mistake could have been DVLAs) as a 3Ltr, 5.2 tonne Motorcycle.

Now one of those I have got to see!:whatthe:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there everyone,

Not quite sure what this thread is all about!

Can someone give me some background information as I don't want to be falling foul of the law.

My vehicle is rated at Kg3850 and has a plate under the bonnet stating this fact but the V5 says Kg3500, do I need to do something about this?

I purchased the van 12 months ago from a good dealer, so it's not as if it was a private deal in a layby.

Any info would be appreciated.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
check your V5's and vin plates, no matter how long you have had your motorhome.
Good advice, I have checked mine and have found the following.

V5 no weight stated
Manufacturers metal VIN plate states 3400 kg
Converters stick on label states 3300 kg

Not really sure where I stand on this matter. I contacted SV Tech a year or so ago about uprating. They suggested that I remove the converters sticker and go with the metal VIN plate at 3400.
Have had to drop plans to uprate as I live 200 yards inside the London Low Emission Zone and will become non compliant in 2012 if over 3500 kg. Would appreciate your advice and opinions.

Brisey.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi estcres, read from the beginning :thumb: sounds like you have the same problem as PPJohn
terry

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi there everyone,

Can someone give me some background information as I don't want to be falling foul of the law.

My vehicle is rated at Kg3850 and has a plate under the bonnet stating this fact but the V5 says Kg3500, do I need to do something about this?

I purchased the van 12 months ago from a good dealer, so it's not as if it was a private deal in a layby.

Legally it is what is on the V5. We had to contact Swift who gave us the right paperwork to sort it all out. Our Motorhome was a new van and therfore had been registered wrong from the begining. We only found out after the three years because it was then out of warrenty and we took it somwhere else and they informed us. Ours wasn't even registered as a motorhome. As it was our first motorhome we knew no better and thought everything was okay because we bought it from new. So our advice to everyone is to check V5's. If you are pulled in and weighed by the powers that be, they will go with what is on your V5.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there everyone,

as terry said...same problem as me.

yes, you do need to sort it as the 3500kg on the V5 is the recorded weight at DVLA.

firstly look on your tax disc....if its PLG then its 3500kg...if its PHGV then its 3850kg but if its 3500kg on the V5 then its registered as PLG

try contacting the converters and explain the situation...they should have a record of the conversion and the uprated weight.

failing that a visit to your nearest DVLA office is on the cards.
in person is best in my opinion.
explain to them the problem and they should sort it but if you have no ducumentation of the uprate (certificate of compliance) it may mean an inspection of the van by DVLA to see if it conforms.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
check your V5's and vin plates, no matter how long you have had your motorhome.
Good advice, I have checked mine and have found the following.

V5 no weight stated
Manufacturers metal VIN plate states 3400 kg
Converters stick on label states 3300 kg

Not really sure where I stand on this matter. I contacted SV Tech a year or so ago about uprating. They suggested that I remove the converters sticker and go with the metal VIN plate at 3400.
Have had to drop plans to uprate as I live 200 yards inside the London Low Emission Zone and will become non compliant in 2012 if over 3500 kg. Would appreciate your advice and opinions.

Brisey.
hi brisey,

just check all my V5s for you and are as follows...

revenue weights

hilux 2515kg

corsa no weight

suzuki sj410 3499kg

kontiki no weight.

3ltr camry no weight

what surprised me was the suzuki....gross weight of far, far less than 2000kg yet registered as 3499kg
the day a small 997cc 4X4 utility has a greater gross than my 2.5ltr 4X4 double cab pickup is the day i stop drinking :Eeek:

again, ring DVLA and ask what weight its recorded as.

it appears to me its DVLA who cant be bothered half the time.

i really cant see the converters DOWN plating for any reason.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi again,

Thanks to everyone who has replied,

I made a mistake in my earlier post as I checked the wrong V5.

The V5C for my Lunar has NO revenue weight stated but the van's plate says Kg3850.

Where does that leave me as according to earlier replies VOSA will rely on the weight stated on the V5.?

I am in the process of checking all my paperwork to see if I have anything from ALKO who I understand were the converters who upgraded the chassis.

Again any info/advice would be useful.

Cheers

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you for the advice John, it is much appreciated.:thumb:
Just had another look at the V5, it shows that I am registered as a Motor Caravan, Boxer 330 LX MWB HDI, Private Light Goods (PLG).
Apart from the Reg. No. Engine capacity, Date of registration, chassis and engine number there is no other recorded information regarding weight on the document.
The Revenue weight section is left blank, as is the maximum permissible mass.
The vehicle was purchased from new and was registered by the supplying dealer.
I will phone the DVLA on Monday and will post the outcome.
Once again many thanks for your advice.:thumb:

Brisey

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi again,

Thanks to everyone who has replied,

I made a mistake in my earlier post as I checked the wrong V5.

The V5C for my Lunar has NO revenue weight stated but the van's plate says Kg3850.

Where does that leave me as according to earlier replies VOSA will rely on the weight stated on the V5.?

I am in the process of checking all my paperwork to see if I have anything from ALKO who I understand were the converters who upgraded the chassis.

Again any info/advice would be useful.

Cheers

look at your tax disc......it should say PHGV and cost £165.....its just gone up so may be £170ish if just renewed

if it says PHGV you're ok.
if its PLG and £185 then ring DVLA

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Pappajohn,

The Tax disc says PLG as does the V5C, and I payed £190 for the year.

The V5C states that it has a body type of Motor Caravan.

I have checked all my paperwork and even though I have some ALKO details there does not appear to be a document about up grading the weight. Just the ALKO plate on the cross member in the bonnet compartment stuated next to the Fiat plate which has the origonal weight.

I think I might have to contact ALKO & DVLA about this.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
It seems that quite a few people are finding that either the V5 & the vehicle don't seem to match :Eeek: or they don't have the payload they think. :Doh:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Pappajohn,

The Tax disc says PLG as does the V5C, and I payed £190 for the year.

The V5C states that it has a body type of Motor Caravan.

I have checked all my paperwork and even though I have some ALKO details there does not appear to be a document about up grading the weight. Just the ALKO plate on the cross member in the bonnet compartment stuated next to the Fiat plate which has the origonal weight.

I think I might have to contact ALKO & DVLA about this.

yep !!!! contact your converter and DVLA as technicaly you could be overweight.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It seems that quite a few people are finding that either the V5 & the vehicle don't seem to match :Eeek: or they don't have the payload they think. :Doh:

yep!!! and it would appear to be down to the registering dealer getting it wrong when the vans were first registered new....not DVLA or the converter.

i am so glad i picked up on that one post and looked into it further.

could save a lot of folks a lot of grief.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have just spoken to the DVLA regarding the absence of an MTPLM figure on my V5 document. I explained that I have differing weights on the Peugeot VIN plate and the converters (Autosleepers) sticker, and could I be told which one is correct. I was told that they couldn't tell me and that I would have to sort it out myself with either Peugeot or Autosleepers. The correct weight is that which is stated on the Certificate of Conformity, a document that I have never seen. I asked how they knew which vehicle excise duty applied to my vehicle and was told that they took the information from the Certificate of Conformity which was produced when the vehicle was first registered. So what was that figure I asked, I can't tell you was the reply, you will have to refer to the manufacturers. It seems that the MTPLM was never recorded by the DVLA. I then asked what would happen if I was stopped by the police or VOSA for possible overloading, what weight limit would they apply, the one on the Certificate of Conformity was the reply. :Doh::Doh::Doh: I now have visions of my vehicle being impounded until the police can sort out the correct MTPLM :Sad:
I have investigated further in the Autosleepers Owners Handbook and it appears that they may have fitted the weight plate for a Peugeot 2ltr engined vehicle to my 2.8 ltr engined vehicle. I will have to phone them on Monday and ask for their advice and if possible a copy of the Certificate of Conformity.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they couldnt tell me either but did confirm it was taxed as PLG...
DOH!!! i can see that on my tax disc....that was the problem, a PHGV taxed and recorded as a PLG.

the best place now is the converters as they should have a record of the van and should contact the base makers or alko, if its an alko chassis, to get a cert of conformation.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Papa John
I have spoken to Autosleepers this morning and they have confirmed that the ratings on the Peugeot VIN plate are correct. It therefore seems that the DVLA have not recorded the weight at registration and that the converters have fitted the wrong data plate. Autosleepers have advised me to remove their data plate and to run the vehicle to the Peugeot weight specifications. A confusing situation, but now all seems to be resolved.
Many thanks for your help and advice regarding this matter

Brisey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back