dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
i believe they do work ,i had my new lunar in for a hab service two years ago watched the service guy check the van the meter found a small damp spot near a window the seal was weeping water in i did not spot it got the seal changed under warantee .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes they do work but to varying degrees.

buy a cheap one and it may no be very selective.....dry or wet and nowt inbetween.

an expensive one will maybe show a degree of dampness.

they work on resistance of the material being tested....very dry and very high resistance...no current can pass between the probes.
very wet and very low, if any, resistance so current can pass and the meter needle/lcd can swing.:thumb:

basicaly a very sensitive Ohm meter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
do they work and how? any views pse

Yupp I can sit in mine and my cheapo one goes nuts if I test my tongue:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BTW I am not joking:RollEyes: child or what?:Doh:

I think you can worry yourself to death doing your own analysis.

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Most engineers use these : Link Removed

If using a meter try to test where it is not visible , also if finding areas of high readings try to analyse why ? is there a metal re-inforcing plate in the wall , near a vent ? etc......

Mark

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Had three hab. checks so far on a Chausson 625 Flash. The first two were carried out using a non-intrusive meter. The last one used an intrusive meter leaving 76 holes in the internal lining! I went ballistic seeing these as they are pretty obvious but here is the response I got from the company:

"I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with XYZ Ltd, I will of course endeavour to change your mind about us and come up with an amicable solution for you.

Firstly I think it important to address your concerns with the type of damp meter we use. You are correct in what you are saying there are two types of damp meter, both of which we have on site here at XYZ. Although they are both called damp meters they have two slightly different functions. The type without two prongs is generally used to test moisture in the floors of motorhomes and walls of houses, they will pick up moisture at the surface of the material but they are not as accurate as the two pronged meter in question. The two pronged meter we have used for your vehicle is far more accurate and will without fail pick up any moisture inside the wallboard of your motorhome and also gives us the ability to test in the smaller and less accessible parts of a motorhome (of which there are many).

This is not possible with the other kind of meter. We have never had a complaint like this ever. Surely It is a worth while compromise to have a few barely visible holes (i.e. 76! my addition) to ensure there is no moisture present in your motorhome.

As I’m sure you are aware if damp is missed on service or just neglected it can cost thousands to put right, but if caught early is relatively cheap to cure."

The director of this company was to say the least rude, but that is being too polite. They also flooded the floor and only mopped up part; left blood on seats and shavings on the table. Since then we have discovered the skylite operating handle they fitted does not function properly!!

But would really like to hear the truth about the moisture meters as I am in the process of taking them to court. 76 holes in the walls is pretty obvious to anyone.
Cheers
Saltings

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
But would really like to hear the truth about the moisture meters as I am in the process of taking them to court. 76 holes in the walls is pretty obvious to anyone.
Cheers
Saltings

Just right too , like wft putting holes in you MH while doing a hab check.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back