Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Alarm

Goodmorning, Have had a look at this system and It looks good, I have sent for details.
Wile asleep I use a luggage strap. Fit it across the from doors. so if they can't pull the door open wide. By then they have broken the lock. I still have not repaired the passenger lock from last time. (key will not opperate).

Last time in 06 it cost me; a laptop, phone, passport, glasses and about 2,000 euro in cash. Never did like the Frogs.

Ivan:cry:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Last time in 06 it cost me; a laptop, phone, passport, glasses and about 2,000 euro in cash. Never did like the Frogs.

Ivan:cry:

How do you know it was "Frogs" as you put it.. :Angry:

More likely to have been imigrants on their way here.. :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Sorry, in the About Us section they talk about Gassing as a problem. That turns me off immediately, if they have done so little research etc etc. Please don't start a war on this again:Angry::Smile:
These are a quick, cheap alternative and can be fitted to doors or windows.
Link Removed
VMax

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Sorry, in the About Us section they talk about Gassing as a problem. That turns me off immediately, if they have done so little research etc etc. Please don't start a war on this again:Angry::Smile:
These are a quick, cheap alternative and can be fitted to doors or windows.
Link Removed
VMax

Hi all,
The only problem with this one is the alarm doesn`t sound until they have opened the door, so technically already inside the van.

Our alarm works so much better and also the bad guys are still outside when it sounds off.

Link Removed

Remains of the last intruder, Grrrrr

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would think you would get all kinds of false alarms with this system.

Just think you are on an Aire and the van next to you is only about 4 feet away from you, they owners come back from the Pub late and have to walk past your van.

Rich...

OP
OP
dave jm

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
I would think you would get all kinds of false alarms with this system.

Just think you are on an Aire and the van next to you is only about 4 feet away from you, they owners come back from the Pub late and have to walk past your van.

Rich...

You can set the sensors down to 3 inches from m/h before lights and alarm come on..at least that way it would deter the scum trying to put gas down your air vents or pipes...it is expensive i know but what price do you put on safty......Dave

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Sorry, I thought this was about a problem older Scottish men get. (night safty)

ok, you have to say it in scottish or it doesen't work!

But, Dave - come on, do you still believe in gas down your vents?

On the last aire we used you had to brush against the next van to get the door open and get into ours so even if set to zero distance an external sensor would go off.

OP
OP
dave jm

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Sorry, I thought this was about a problem older Scottish men get. (night safety)

ok, you have to say it in scottish or it doesn't work!

But, Dave - come on, do you still believe in gas down your vents?

On the last aire we used you had to brush against the next van to get the door open and get into ours so even if set to zero distance an external sensor would go off.

In the circumstance you mention you would not need to have it on also you would not be packed in like sardines all the time when your out in the m/h...on the point of gas ask the Funsters if they have read or know anyone thats had it done to them....I have a son in the Guardia civil whose job it is to investigate these incidents...95% are from the eastern block country's who are not short of using violence...I just think a system of this nature that warns you when someone is very close to the m/h would be a good deterant...forarmed or forwarned...thanks for your comment...Dave

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
.on the point of gas ask the Funsters if they have read or know anyone thats had it done to them
Well guys (and gals)?

Remember, only first hand experiences (eg, narcotic alarm went off) or hospital test confirmed attacks count!

No phart jokes needed.

.I just think a system of this nature that warns you when someone is very close to the m/h would be a good deterant...forarmed or forwarned..
When we lived on a posh housing estate one of the local posers fitted a proximity alarm to his tarted up Pug. The local lads (on the way back from the pub) took great delight in setting off it's "please move away from the vehicle" until the alarm sounder went off. After a couple of weekends of this disturbance at 1 in the morning he gave up and fitted a conventional alarm.

But we all have to fit what makes us feel safe - it's better than carrying an air rifle after all.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The straps across the doors have saved many people - along with high security door lock kits, which replace your door key with one similar to the lock on the hab door security bars/arms. (like a vending machine key)

There are also window alarms available, in case they go in through windows whilst you are asleep. PIR sensor awning/outside lights are available, which may be another approach - you can have a similar effect for very little money!

I think after the fourth rabbit, the buzzer would cheese me off! lol!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The straps across the doors have saved many people - !

I would caution against strapping doors together unless it has a quick release device. If you need to exit in a hurry, seconds count....

There is a good discussion about door straps and security here
Link Removed

Jim's ( the ringleader) advice

Most European vans are really easy to get into without a key!!!. Putting a chain between the doors is a great deterrent to the thief that looks in and sees that even if he smashes a window he still might have to struggle to effect entry. However in my opinion this should only be done when you are leaving the vehicle unattended. I cannot recommend that you lock your self in by using this method, for the obvious risk that you may not be able to get out in any emergency and or it may impede your efforts to get in your seat and drive away which is often your best defence.

There are custom designed locks to fit most European vans, these are often locked with key and again may prove difficult to open in an emergency. If you do lock your self in, you should practice opening the locks quite a few times this will make it slightly easier to do if you find yourself in the dark and full of adrenaline and fumbling to get out

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I still don't understand the logic of chaining (or straps, wires and ropes) steel doors shut when there are plastic windows to silently break!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back