Hi all, some advice needed!!! What length MH? (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

We have a swift Sundance 580pr (20ft 09) at the moment and as advised by a few of you a few weeks ago have decided to stay full timing rather than buy a property, but we are needing to get more living space, we need a rear lounge and a small dinette but the range out there are enormous, we need a winterized one as we froze up this winter but cant make our minds up on the length, do we go for a longer ie: 28ft which would have to be a twin axle the question is to all you with BIG motorhomes do you have a problem parking in supermarkets?
I know towns are out as we need 2 spaces but I feel we need more space say if one of us is poorly or just needing some space to read and lie down for a kip in the afternoons.
Hubby is 65 so the licences have to be thought about as I know he will need a medical after 70, any advice from someone who has a big MH and has regretted it or someone who has bought a smaller MH and wish they had gone longer, it’s a big costly mistake to get it wrong as you all know.

philduncan

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
Hello,

we have a Swift Kontiki 679(28.5' long) and I have found it very good and extremely easy to drive and plenty of power from the Fiat 160 Multijet engine. Prior to this we had a Kontiki 640 which was 23' long and I must admit I prefer the new van for driving and living in, with a permanent double bed in the back.::bigsmile:

The storage space is excellent with a huge garage and plenty inside.I must admit I am not sure if it is a five or six berth as I have read different things in different places but for two people it is great I hope this is of some help but please ask if you have any other queries,

Phil

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

You say home is where you park it!

Drive over to us, we have a wide selection of MH's, A Class's, Kontiki Tags and normal Kontikis.

You can spend as much time as you like in them without any sales hassle, just take your shoes off if you want to try the beds!::bigsmile:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Look at a 5th wheeler for full-timing -great space, use of another vehicle once "on-site" very cost effective my replacement motorhome was going to be well in excess of £55000 we got kitted out for much less AND more importantly got something that was much better than what we were contemplating Rapido 7099 (25') our 5ver has probably50% More space than the motorhome in question AL

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Hi Tricia,
Been there myself. Iv'e found the bigger the better if your spending time in it. Tried 21ft, 31ft, L/HD RV, too awkward to handle. Had several tanden axels over the last three years. Like your hubby I'm 64, and find comfort very important. Whether it on hol's, or more importantly fulltiming, as it's your home as well. A rear lounge great, as the wife likes the kitchen table, and has her own tv. I can relax and have a kip in the rear lounge, plus its good when new friends come in. Also they are more stable when traveling, or at rest. I recently changed to an A class with a pull down bed over the front seats. As this in fairly low, getting in is not a problem, not high like an overcab one. Far more comfortable, no lumpy seats to arrange in it plus bed already made up. Extra length means extra storage space, another consideration. With this arrangement I don't have to have a high line overcab bed, which saves on fuel, plus the beds are a lot bigger, with more height.
Against is the fact that they use a little more fuel, and tend to get stuck easier on wet grass. Cost more, you may have to pay for two parking spaces (might anyway). Don't worry about the driveing licence at 70. Life's to short get out and enjoy it. You will get more for a tandem axel when eventually sell anyway. Take up Peters kind offer and get out hunting, ask all those awkward questions. It's where you are going to spend the most important relaxing years of your life. Don't sell yourself short. And don't be afraid of a salesman, nothing nice in life happens till you meet one. Hope this is of help.
Rgds Graham.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks peter for your offer might do it when we have been to the various shows we have booked......:winky:

A 5th wheel is a bit big for us to handle we think we dont even fancy the idea of a caravan as that would involve towing!!! and reversing it is in our latest nightmares!!!! :Eeek:

Thanks graham for the input but an a class is out of the question where would poor little susie sleep (our little yorkie)??? with her 4inch legs she finds it a problem to get out of the van at night for a wee and sometimes we have to hand her down to the first step as she cant make it as the top step is too high for her to jump down herself in the night, she gets a bit groggy in the night....as we all do?????
:Blush:
Any more suggestions would be gratefully received?????:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
We fulltime in a 25 footer and are happy with the space. Mind you, we also tow a 14ft trailer so we are 39ft on the road.
For what it is worth, there are running cost implications with various sizes.
At over 8 meter (26 ft) you will find extra charges on some campsites - but not too many except in high season. Some Italian sites also become difficult.
Over 3m (9ft 9") you will have issues on many pitches where they have sunshades.
Tolls are another matter but they measure over the front wheels so some quite high vans can count as cars. Frejus tunnel, for example, charge €35 for under 1.3m, €46 for < 3m and €127 for 3m and over.
While on the subject of tolls, tag axles can become expensive compared to twin wheels as they charge on the axle count not wheel count. A twin wheel over 3m costs €134 but a tag would be €255.
The advantage of trailers is they are ignored by most tolls for the axle count!
Of course you don't have to use toll roads/tunnels at all.
Same applies to campsites.

Patrick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back