Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The following has been posted on the MH list forum. You may find it useful to respond to this consultation if it affects you. The document refers to unladen weight which seems to confuse the issue as to which vehicles it will apply to.

For instance do you know the unladen weight of you MH? See page 6 section 4.6 referring directly to MH's.

"The Department for Transport is seeking responses to its proposals to
change the maximum speed limits for Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) having a
maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes. The proposals also
include new speed limits for PCVs.

They are proposing to to reduce the speed limit from 70mph to 60mph for
HGVs not exceeding 7.5 tonnes. The proposed speed limits will also
affect passenger vehicles, motor caravans and dual-purpose vehicles with
an unladen weight exceeding 3.05 tonnes.

This will mean that every motorhome with a GVW of more than 3500kg (and
potentially some with a GVW below 3500kg) will be restricted to 65mph on
motorways.

Details of the consultation, and how to make a response can be found
HERE

If you own a motorhome and think you may be affected by this proposal
please take the time to submit a response!"

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Will the benefits of owning a wee California never end? 3000kg in its birthday suit and unrestricted. :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i could be totaly wrong but i dont believe these ristrictions will apply to MOTORCARAVANS.

while the ones concerned (3.5t to 7.5t)are taxed as PHGV's they arent restricted by HGV regulations.

this proposal appears to be aimed at large delivery type vans up to 7.5t and as stated, they will already be fitted with speed limiters set to 56mph if manufactured after 2001 anyway.

even new motorhomes are exempt from speed limiters.

i believe even a 12000kg motorhome is still allowed to travel at 70mph on a motorway and use the outside lane.

just my views and opinion. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
i could be totaly wrong but i dont believe these ristrictions will apply to MOTORCARAVANS.

while the ones concerned (3.5t to 7.5t)are taxed as PHGV's they arent restricted by HGV regulations.

this proposal appears to be aimed at large delivery type vans up to 7.5t and as stated, they will already be fitted with speed limiters set to 56mph if manufactured after 2001 anyway.

even new motorhomes are exempt from speed limiters.

i believe even a 12000kg motorhome is still allowed to travel at 70mph on a motorway and use the outside lane.

just my views and opinion. :thumb:

John if you follow the link & scroll down to page 6 section 4.6 you will find the following information.

Additionally, please note that the proposed changes affect not only PCVs with more than 8 passengers, but also passenger vehicles, motor caravans and dual-purpose vehicles with an unladen weight exceeding 3.05 tonnes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John if you follow the link & scroll down to page 6 section 4.6 you will find the following information.

Additionally, please note that the proposed changes affect not only PCVs with more than 8 passengers, but also passenger vehicles, motor caravans and dual-purpose vehicles with an unladen weight exceeding 3.05 tonnes.

falling asleep before i got that far :Blush:

wont really have an impact on me as i rarely go over 60mph anyway as i generally have the toad on the hook.

nice to have the chioce though.

i did notice there are no motorhome groups...ie CC or C&CC in the consultation list.
unless i missed it.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
It strikes me that the issue here is not about the speed but about the ability to legally use the third lane.
Currently we can, but once the restriction applies there will be no more overtaking slow moving HGV's using the third lane for us over 3.05 tonne.

Why 3.05 tonne would be my first question. Virtually all weight restricted roads throughout Europe start at over 3.5 tonne. So where has 3.05 tonne suddenly come from?

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
falling asleep before i got that far :Blush:

wont really have an impact on me as i rarely go over 60mph anyway as i generally have the toad on the hook.

nice to have the chioce though.

i did notice there are no motorhome groups...ie CC or C&CC in the consultation list.
unless i missed it.

I am sure many of us don't exceed 65 in order to conserve fuel.

I understand the omission of not inviting the C&CC & CC was pointed out, but no doubt they are more interested in making more money than lobbying on our behalf.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It strikes me that the issue here is not about the speed but about the ability to legally use the third lane.
Currently we can, but once the restriction applies there will be no more overtaking slow moving HGV's using the third lane for us over 3.05 tonne.

Why 3.05 tonne would be my first question. Virtually all weight restricted roads throughout Europe start at over 3.5 tonne. So where has 3.05 tonne suddenly come from?

thats actually the UNLADEN weight....

just for once VOSA/DVLA have used a different set of rules.

3.05t appears quite a lot on the directgov website.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp

This 3.05 has always existed, although many motorhomers are not aware of it. Currently any vehicle over this is restricted to 50 mph on single carriageway roads & 60 on duel carriageway roads that are not motorways. The odd point is that this is UNLADEN WEIGHT. Hence my question, do you know the unladen weight of your motorhome?

I don't & would Mr Plod? As far as I can see there is no indication on your plate supplied by the base vehicle supplier or the converter.

You are correct Pete, why do we have a restriction based on unladen weight when other countries use only MGW?

Seems to me it's a b****y mine field.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
thats actually the UNLADEN weight....

just for once VOSA/DVLA have used a different set of rules.

3.05t appears quite a lot on the directgov website.

And the rest of Europe use MGW John.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Keith,

I have tried your link several times, but it keeps telling me that I cannot open the PDF file.

Is anyone else having problems opening the link, and or the file?

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith,

I have tried your link several times, but it keeps telling me that I cannot open the PDF file.

Is anyone else having problems opening the link, and or the file?

Cheers,

Jock.

Just tried it Jock & it worked for me. It is a pdf file.

Try this Link Removed not direct but you may be able to get it from here

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
My van has (according to the technical details) an unladen weight of 2950kgs :Smile: haven't fitted anything that would increase the weight also I have alloy wheels which are -10 kgs off the weight. My MGW is plated at 3850 kgs (PHGV) :Sad: so I'm confused what speed can I do? Not that I tend to cruise much over 60 anyway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
less than 3050kg unladen its unchanged.

the rediculous thing is you still have a gross of 3850kg....the same as me!!!

all this is speculating if it becomes law...its only going to discussion and could be years yet:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just tried it Jock & it worked for me. It is a pdf file.

Try this Link Removed not direct but you may be able to get it from here
The second link takes me there.

Many thanks Keith.

Cheers,

Jock.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This law has been out for a while, they are probably underlining it, as there was quite some confusion. There was a spate of small van drivers (low roof, swb renaults etc) who were being fined for speeding when the law stated 3.5t - as they weighed less unladen, the argument was, that they had no idea of what weight was in it. This is probably the reason they are reafirming it.

General rule of thumb is this, unless you are in a car, or car derived van (corsa van etc) Then you are set at 10mph BELOW the stated speed, Except in a 30. This includes motorways for vehciles exceeding 3.5t.

Cofusing again, is that 3.5 and under USED to be able to drive at 70 on motorways, although 10 mph less on dual carriageways and so on. It lloks like they have knocked this down too.

I think the roads would be alot safer if they maintained them, got rid of the dreaded ruts etc. Don't see too much problems on the autobahns!:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Having read the whole announcement I am under the impression that it only applies to PSV's with an unladen weight of 3.050Kg and capable of carrying 8 passengers.

I also notice it says that vehicles registered since 2001 have already been restricted and this is an instrument to bring those registered before that date into line with current legislation.

How many of you with post 2001 models, capable of carrying less than 8 people have a restictor already fixed? None I expect. Mine is a 2005 Lunar, capable of carrying 6 people and it has not got a restrictor fitted.

I think we are getting worked up over nothing, it will not affect many of us.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Having read the whole announcement I am under the impression that it only applies to PSV's with an unladen weight of 3.050Kg and capable of carrying 8 passengers.

I also notice it says that vehicles registered since 2001 have already been restricted and this is an instrument to bring those registered before that date into line with current legislation.

How many of you with post 2001 models, capable of carrying less than 8 people have a restictor already fixed? None I expect. Mine is a 2005 Lunar, capable of carrying 6 people and it has not got a restrictor fitted.

I think we are getting worked up over nothing, it will not affect many of us.
Hi estcres,

Our MHs are not classed as PCVs/PSVs, and as "Motorcaravans" they either have a road fund classification of PLG or PHGV, depending upon our weight. The use of speed restrictors is for "commercial vehicles", of which our MHs are not.........(well, not for most of us anyway :winky:).

The term "seating of more than", or, "less than" 8 passegers is PCV/PSV terminology, and is not applicable to "Motorcaravans".
The term, "more than" 3.05 tonnes, and "more than" 3.5 tonnes, etc, is LGV/HGV terminology, and is applicable to "Motorcaravans" either by the PLG/PHGV status, as explained above.

Like most, I tend try to stick to 10mph below the current speed limits for cars and vans under 3.05 tonnes, except in a built up area obviously, and at 4.5 tonnes, it is within my interest to do so anyway. :roflmto: Due to the tag axle on the back, I often set off a speed camera, whilst travelling within my legal limit for that classification of road. :ROFLMAO:

It is all a minefield as someone posted before, but I hope this helps somewhat to subdue any confusion.

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
My original point in posting was to point out that you have the opportunity to comment on these proposals. If you normally drive below the suggested speed limits it won't be of interest to you. :winky:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
<quote jock&rita >
Due to the tag axle on the back, I often set off a speed camera, whilst travelling within my legal limit for that classification of road.
</quote>

Can you explain to a numpty - Why does a tag axle set off speed ( safety:ROFLMAO:) cameras ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
<quote jock&rita >
Due to the tag axle on the back, I often set off a speed camera, whilst travelling within my legal limit for that classification of road.
</quote>

Can you explain to a numpty - Why does a tag axle set off speed ( safety:ROFLMAO:) cameras ?
Hi Cowboy,

I used to think that it was due to the weight picked up by the sensors imbedded into the tarmac just prior to the camera. I have since been advised (correctly I hope), that it is due to the close proximity of the axles rolling over the sensors, which cause the cameras to flash, thinking they have picked up an HGV.
There are two in the South Lincs area which always flash twice, when I go through at 50 mph, in a 50 mph zone. Apparently, the programmed software thinks that I should be travelling at a maximum of 40 mph.

Other MH'ers (over 3.05 or 3.5 tonnes) travelling the same routes, haven't experienced the same result, when I have enquired with them.

BTW, I never get a ticket from Lincs Police, for either location. :thumb:

HTH,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back