V5 details incorrect (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thinking about the recent bout of uprating questions and lower road tax i realised i'm paying £185 pa

just looked at the disc and it states PLG....surely this should be PHGV

looked on the V5 and there is no revenue weight shown but it is recorded as a motorcaravan.

my van has the uprated Alko chassis and there are two vin plates....
the original fiat is 3500kg and the alko is 3850kg.

its obviously registered as 3500kg according to the tax rate.

whats the next step ?
anyone know ?

PS...perhaps Andy (swiftgroup) can shed some light on it as the convertors.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I had a similar problem although my V5 had the correct weight 3850kg and was classed as PLG. I just went to the local DVLA office and they changed it there and then and a new V5 appeared within the week.

They said that it was down to the dealer when they registered it.

I suspect yours may be different you may have to prove to DVLA that it should be 3850kg a picture of the vin plate may suffice but will the insist on an inspection - you never know.

Lunarman

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar problem although my V5 had the correct weight 3850kg and was classed as PLG. I just went to the local DVLA office and they changed it there and then and a new V5 appeared within the week.

They said that it was down to the dealer when they registered it.

I suspect yours may be different you may have to prove to DVLA that it should be 3850kg a picture of the vin plate may suffice but will the insist on an inspection - you never know.

Lunarman

just rang dvla and it is registered as 3500kg for taxation class.:Sad:
they basicly said the same as you....visit to local dvla office to sort it.

it may need an inspection and documentation.

i hope andy at swiftgroup can help with this as i have no docs concerning the chassis conversion at all.

meanwhile im overloaded by up to 350kg:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi John

Yours is the same as mine, so I just nipped out in the rain just for you, as you have done many times for me, and mine is taxed as PHGV and cost me £165 a year, so yours is definitely taxed wrong.

I am sure it is just a paper error somewhere.

Hope you get it sorted.

Lesley

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi John,

Andy is unlikely to monitor posts in this section, if you need to ask a Q it is best to post in the Swift forum but I have sent him an email for you,

Peter

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks like a trip to Beverly on monday.....another 60 mile round trip through no fault of mine.....well pi$$ed off.

hopefully swiftgroup will have a record of the conversion and can supply documentation.

otherwise its going to be an inspection...probably at my cost :Eeek::Angry:

it never registered before that i was paying PLG rates.

certainly cant legally use the damn thing til i get it sorted...it'll never come in under 3500kg as it is.:cry:

off to PM andy now....

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
thinking about the recent bout of uprating questions and lower road tax i realised i'm paying £185 pa

just looked at the disc and it states PLG....surely this should be PHGV

looked on the V5 and there is no revenue weight shown but it is recorded as a motorcaravan.

my van has the uprated Alko chassis and there are two vin plates....
the original fiat is 3500kg and the alko is 3850kg.

its obviously registered as 3500kg according to the tax rate.

whats the next step ?
anyone know ?

PS...perhaps Andy (swiftgroup) can shed some light on it as the convertors.
Hi, a similar thing happened to us and we got in touch with swift and they sent us a certificate of conformity. We took this to dvla they checked it stamped it all sorted.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hopefully you are not overweight because of a paper error because according to an old MMM the Kontiki 640 has a payload of 486kg taking off the 350kg could be serious:Eeek:

If it were the 655 that only had a payload of 394kg with the 3850 chassis now you would be in trouble:Doh:

I always thought that the Kontiki range was a bit light on payload until they upgraded to 4000kg

Hope you sort it out

Lunarman

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, a similar thing happened to us and we got in touch with swift and they sent us a certificate of conformity. We took this to dvla they checked it stamped it all sorted.

thats what im hoping for but the van is a 2001 so i dont know if they'll still have the records. :Sad:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John

Yours is the same as mine, so I just nipped out in the rain just for you, as you have done many times for me, and mine is taxed as PHGV and cost me £165 a year, so yours is definitely taxed wrong.

I am sure it is just a paper error somewhere.

Hope you get it sorted.

Lesley

thanks lesley....hope you managed to run between ther raindrops and didnt get too wet...:ROFLMAO:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
My van was supposed to be 3850 kgs, when I picked it up the dealer (muppet) had registered it as 3500 but had the new plate from Adria with 3850 on it, I can't count the number of times I told them to check it was 3850, they even rang to tell me that they had all the paperwork & new plate :Doh:. When the V5 came I went along to the local DVLA showed them the plate & the V5, they filled in a form then a couple of weeks later the new V5 came with a refund for the extra tax :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My van was supposed to be 3850 kgs, when I picked it up the dealer (muppet) had registered it as 3500 but had the new plate from Adria with 3850 on it, I can't count the number of times I told them to check it was 3850, they even rang to tell me that they had all the paperwork & new plate :Doh:. When the V5 came I went along to the local DVLA showed them the plate & the V5, they filled in a form then a couple of weeks later the new V5 came with a refund for the extra tax :thumb:

hope it all goes that easy...

i doubt they'll refund 8 years worth of tax adjustment......would be nice though :thumb::roflmto:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
thanks lesley....hope you managed to run between ther raindrops and didnt get too wet...:ROFLMAO:

I don't mind getting wet, anytime I can help anyone I will. :winky:I just love to be able to answer a question. I cannot help many cause I is thick.::bigsmile:
John, I would say that you help so many people on this site, and you very rarely have a question that you need help with. So if I can help in any way, then I will. :winky:

Not that my answer helped in any way, but I am trying:RollEyes:

Lesley

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't mind getting wet, anytime I can help anyone I will. :winky:I just love to be able to answer a question. I cannot help many cause I is thick.::bigsmile:
John, I would say that you help so many people on this site, and you very rarely have a question that you need help with. So if I can help in any way, then I will. :winky:

Not that my answer helped in any way, but I am trying:RollEyes:

Lesley

well i reckon id did help lesley...cant be that many 2001 640L's about at 3500kg.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
John, I appreciate my situation was somewhat different, but it was actually a very similar scenario
The darned converters had not played the game at all in my case as you know but once the bags were in place it was all just a paperwork exercise ( all be it not a darned cheap one in my case !)

But the DVLA folk were as good as the SVTech people.. Really helpful and I was only in the office for a very short time

Providing you can supply the certificate or some sort of documentation from Swift ( who lets face are a pretty decent bunch ) I doubt you will have any problems at all.

I will keep my digits crossed for you ! :Smile:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
had a PM from ash (swiftgroup) and he's going to speak to the engineers on monday. :thumb:

as usual, excellent service from swiftgroup....:thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
See ::bigsmile:, said they were a decent bunch !!
I would not worry John, 10 to 1 on all will be well mate :Smile: :thumb:

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
I've just had my V11 Renewal reminder for my m/h & they are quoting £190 but I'm sure it should be £185 according to the direct.gov website so I've emailed them to check this out. Mine is classed as PLG with a max vehicle weight of 3500kg registered 1/2/2008.
Am i reading their website correctly or being thick?:Blush:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've just had my V11 Renewal reminder for my m/h & they are quoting £190 but I'm sure it should be £185 according to the direct.gov website so I've emailed them to check this out. Mine is classed as PLG with a max vehicle weight of 3500kg registered 1/2/2008.

yes and no in that order.....

its gone up to £190. :Sad:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Good luck John sorting it out:thumb:

Here something else for you to consider as you live in Scarborough

We were stopping on Marine drive by the pumping station, along with several other M/H, along comes a traffic warden (Council), tells us that because our tax disc reads PHGV we can't park there, we have to go and park on the park n ride.

this resulted in a long discussion between us, traffic warded and his office, it was ridiculous as despite ours being PHGV its only 6.8 mtrs, and one of the other vans was classified as PLG but was a T/A and 7.5 mtrs and had a trailer

Anyway in the end they saw sence, but it took 40 mins, and all the other M/H ers giving them grief, bl**dy jobs worths

You have been warned

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
looks like a trip to Beverly on monday.....another 60 mile round trip through no fault of mine.....well pi$$ed off.

hopefully swiftgroup will have a record of the conversion and can supply documentation.

otherwise its going to be an inspection...probably at my cost :Eeek::Angry:

it never registered before that i was paying PLG rates.

certainly cant legally use the damn thing til i get it sorted...it'll never come in under 3500kg as it is.:cry:

off to PM andy now....

We were told we were not legal and had to wait till it was sorted. It made it difficult because Amanda needed her disability scooter which defenaltely took us over wieght. So we could not use the motorhome till it was upgraded and legal on paper.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Taxed mine 3 or 4 days ago.. £165.00

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

yes and no in that order.....

its gone up to £190. :Sad:

Ooops...my mistake and you are right.....light good vehicle registered after 2001 is £185.

reg before 2001 and it is indeed £190.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
You only get the refund from the time it is changed, as it was 2 weeks before I got the original V5 I only got about £18 :RollEyes: it's not a lot but I'm sure it is better for the economy for it to be in my pocket than the DVLA's :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I had to get a refund from the tax disk I bought in November ( proly be about £140 )and then retax it from new again ( if you see what I mean :Smile: )

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had to get a refund from the tax disk I bought in November ( proly be about £140 )and then retax it from new again ( if you see what I mean :Smile: )

yep!! i know how that bit works.

mine expires end of march and was to be put on sorn for a while 'til finances improve a bit so it looks like it'll be getting sorned early.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
'ad a look under 't bonnet today and look what i found :thumb:

dont think there'll be a problem.