Air suspension test run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hello All,

Well I did say I would give my verdict on the air suspension I had fitted last Wednesday after our trip to Essex.

A1….The difference it has made to the ride, handling and stability of our van is amazing. Going over rough ground before the air suspension was fitted was, a rollercoaster ride and with our van being so tall it swayed everywhere. Now it just has a small movement from side to side then stands straight again. The biggest difference has been in the wind and when trucks pass us, the van doesn’t get pulled and pushed by the draught created as they pass. I found in the gusty wind I didn’t have to fight the van back on a straight line anymore. The van sits right no matter how much we have in the garage, and as it’s controllable for the cab it does give us some levelling capabilities. All round a really great investment for us.

I would like to say that the service and quality of work done by AS air suspension in Warrington was and is faultless.

Patrick & Jan

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I'll second that Patrick!
Ours is fantastic! We use it for levelling on campsites - the ride is amazing now - getting on and off ferries is not as scary as it was! I don't get travel sick any more! The list goes on and on!!:Smile::Smile:

AS AirSuspension - what can we say? BRILLIANT!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Glad to hear it works....:Cool:

BTW How long did it take to fit and was it rear only or all round units?

Are you seeing more ground clearance since it was fitted?

Regards Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Had it fitted to my vehicle about 12 months ago, as reported elsewhere the effects on driving control is amazing, it gives a much smoother ride and the service of AS at Warrington is A1.

They fitted ours to the rear suspension only in 1 day. They then gave me a full tour of the work they had undertaken showing me the units fitted in place, the pipework etc.

Can't fault the system

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Glad to hear it

We've just booked up to go ang have it done so looking fwd bigtime thanks for report

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Good to see it Pat,

at least it will stop the van rocking a lad :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Wink
:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Absolutely transformed mine too !
I am just waiting for some rather clever bits to arrive which will allow me set things up and maintain that setting automatically ( all experimental but worth a wizz ! )

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the update - Mine is being installed by my very nice mechanic literally as we speak and I can't wait to give it a whirl - One small problem with regards to our Dunlop system was that the top plates (where the four allen keyed screws go) hadn't been tapped to receive the screws :Doh: So it's just a s well I left it for him (not sure about half an hour to fit though?)

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Glad to hear it works....:Cool:

BTW How long did it take to fit and was it rear only or all round units?

Are you seeing more ground clearance since it was fitted?

Regards Steve.

hi Steve,

yes it is only the rears i had done. I can pump it up independantly and with my overhang it will rase the rear by 5".

The whole job took 5 hours because it was on a merc chassis the fiat fit is about 3 hours.

pat

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Absolutely transformed mine too !
I am just waiting for some rather clever bits to arrive which will allow me set things up and maintain that setting automatically ( all experimental but worth a wizz ! )

Let me know what your planning by way of making yours automatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patrick

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
help

Help, just reading how good air suspension is, and found out we have this on our motorhome but dont have the slightest idea when, and how to use any advice would be great. fairly new to all this got the van in october, been going out loads with it but this air suspension is still a mystery to us. Where to start what to do simple instructions for newbies please, thanks Lynne:Doh:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Help, just reading how good air suspension is, and found out we have this on our motorhome but dont have the slightest idea when, and how to use any advice would be great. fairly new to all this got the van in october, been going out loads with it but this air suspension is still a mystery to us. Where to start what to do simple instructions for newbies please, thanks Lynne:Doh:

OK,
Start at the bellows; there should be an airline running from each one. Trace that airline and you should find (possibly inside the van) an inflation point, with or without a pressure guage. There may be two taps to allow one, or both to be inflated. On the other hand, those airlines running from the bellows may end up at a compressor, which should be wired to the vehicle electrics through a switching set-up (possibly a relay). Somewhere, probably inside the van, you should find the switch or control - that doesn't look like anything that Fiat (or whatever you base vehicle is) would have fitted.
If the first set-up you will need to use a tyre compressor, make sure that the taps (valves) are open and inflate to about 40 psi. Take it for a run and if it's still a bit wallowy put another 5psi in, and try again. If it feels a bit firm, reduce by a couple or five. Trial and error will tell you when you get the best ride, but it may change with more or less weight in the back.

Hope this is useful.

John

Last edited:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
:whatthe: Just had a look at my little van with the new airide fitted and inflated to just 3.0 bar - Looks like a hot rod with a massively raised rear end :Blush: Now down to two bar and it looks a little better, won't be able to drive it for an hour or two. I reckon this will need adjusting every time we load, load differently and unload again....

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
just been to look exactly what it is like but your advice gives us some idea where to start , we have a pressure gauge a red push button and something that resembles a tyre valve which is metal with a screw on top with a plunger type release valve on top of it, does that sound normal, no way fitted by fiat. :Doh:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
just been to look exactly what it is like but your advice gives us some idea where to start , we have a pressure gauge a red push button and something that resembles a tyre valve which is metal with a screw on top with a plunger type release valve on top of it, does that sound normal, no way fitted by fiat. :Doh:

Mine doesn't look like that, but I expect it'll ring a few bells with others. If you press the red button does the passenger seat eject :roflmto:, or a compressor start up? If so that sound like it might be the thing. The tyre inflator fitting will no doubt be for a time when the fuse has blown, or the compressor has packed up and you can use a tyre inflator.

Reason I said 40 psi is that GB (the firm fitted mine in Honiton) advised me to start at about 35 to 40 psi. I found 38 to 40 was ideal. Different vans, different loads, different pressure. Works a treat as others have said.:thumb:

John

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mine is currently sitting at 32lbs but I have discovered a wee issue I think.. Looks like the right hand one looses a couple of pound if left for a week or so, so not real happy about that though it might just be a leaky schrader valve yet.. and as they are coming off as soon as I get all the new widgets tis of no matter

Ok, basically there is going to be a pressure sensor in each feed line. They can be set to anything from 28 to 40 lbs
If one side drops below below what it is supposed to be a relay kicks in, changes the position of an air gate and switches on the pump ( pump is just a £10.00 special from the local market )
Once pressure is reached the sensor relay turns off which in turn kills the pump and switches the air gate to a neutral position

the hold up is trying to find (at a sensible price ! ) the sensors. Most are unable to go that low.

Hopefully next week I will have the basics in place ( the pump, air gate etc ) but reckon it will be a while before the whole thing gets finished

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Now that sounds like a good idea! Are you going to post a pic of all the bits and pieces?

I note that your huge van is running at 32psi and my little van has its arse in the air with 28 so I reckon on starting with about 20 for now.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We are very pleased with our AS. Handles much better, holds the road better and stops the van rocking hee hee :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now that sounds like a good idea! Are you going to post a pic of all the bits and pieces?

I note that your huge van is running at 32psi and my little van has its arse in the air with 28 so I reckon on starting with about 20 for now.

Happy to post details as things progress..
Should have the first pile of bits late next week ( was hoping they would arrive early so I could fit them before the Scunthorpe run but now looks unlikely :Sad: )

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi Steve,

yes it is only the rears i had done. I can pump it up independantly and with my overhang it will raise the rear by 5".

The whole job took 5 hours because it was on a merc chassis the fiat fit is about 3 hours.

pat

Cheers Patrick...

That's exactly the result I'm after.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
I have looked at the as website does the price on the website include fitting or is it extra

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Now mine is fitted I have to say that the ride is smoother but in my small van with very little overhang I can't really tell - Will soon find out when fully loaded on the motorway though I'm sure... At least SvTech are happy. What is a laugh is pumping it up with an airline and seeing the back end lift up six inches, bizarre!

Mine is fitted with two schrader valves stuck on the side, no problems with that but I would like to pump up both sides at the same time - Has anyone got an idea as to how I can do it? perhaps a 'Y' piece adapter or something like it? (Can't find one anywhere)

Dick Lane Motorhomes

Free Member
Feb 6, 2010
Between Leeds & Bradford
Funster No
MH
C-Class
Exp
40 years
I've followed this thread from Patrick's OP and I'm a liitle confused. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Patrick posted about AIR SUSPENSION and somewhere in the various replies it changed to AIR RIDE which is a totally different coloured horse! The last time I asked AIR SUSPENSION costs about £2,500 or more but AIR RIDE, that is a type of pressurised rubber-bag spring assister, costs only a couple of hundred pounds or so. Air ride, whilst improving handling, is usually a remedy for a sagging back end and doesn't usually improve the ride. Or is it me who's barking up the wrong tree?

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Didn't have sagging springs on my McLouis M/H and the fitting of Air Ride assisters did wonders for the ride, the ability to get level on site, cornering and almost totally removed the tendancy for the M/H to be pulled about by passing Artics etc.
I definately recommend them:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I've followed this thread from Patrick's OP and I'm a liitle confused. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Patrick posted about AIR SUSPENSION and somewhere in the various replies it changed to AIR RIDE which is a totally different coloured horse! The last time I asked AIR SUSPENSION costs about £2,500 or more but AIR RIDE, that is a type of pressurised rubber-bag spring assister, costs only a couple of hundred pounds or so. Air ride, whilst improving handling, is usually a remedy for a sagging back end and doesn't usually improve the ride. Or is it me who's barking up the wrong tree?

Sorry Dick, but I think you are sort of in the wrong tree. You are right that Pat is talking about air ride type suspension in the form of assitance to the original springs.
However wrong in the sense of there capability. Yes they do help reduce sagging, they stop roll at roundabouts and bends, reduce buffeting by big lorries. But one of the things I and many others have found is the general improved ride quality. :thumb:

Dick Lane Motorhomes

Free Member
Feb 6, 2010
Between Leeds & Bradford
Funster No
MH
C-Class
Exp
40 years
Didn't have sagging springs on my McLouis M/H and the fitting of Air Ride assisters did wonders for the ride, the ability to get level on site, cornering and almost totally removed the tendancy for the M/H to be pulled about by passing Artics etc.
I definately recommend them:Smile:

Yes, that's right 'dellwood', they're spring assisters, not to be confused with air suspension. I think Patrick was posting about air suspension ...... I think ! And you're quite right - assisters generally do improve the handling quailties, especially with motorhomes being operated at or near their MAM .. and who doesn't?!

Dick Lane Motorhomes

Free Member
Feb 6, 2010
Between Leeds & Bradford
Funster No
MH
C-Class
Exp
40 years
Sorry Dick, but I think you are sort of in the wrong tree. You are right that Pat is talking about air ride type suspension in the form of assitance to the original springs.
However wrong in the sense of there capability. Yes they do help reduce sagging, they stop roll at roundabouts and bends, reduce buffeting by big lorries. But one of the things I and many others have found is the general improved ride quality. :thumb:

Now I am confused ! :Sad: I thought that Pat was 'talking' about air suspension, not spring assisters. You'll have to forgive me - put it down to age ..... :Doh:

Stephen

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Now I am confused ! :Sad: I thought that Pat was 'talking' about air suspension, not spring assisters. You'll have to forgive me - put it down to age ..... :Doh:

Stephen

he may well of been Dick, as I know Patrick he's not immune to throwing a bit of dosh around. But,, im pretty sure that AS in Warrington that Pat is referring too are spring assistance people.

Ill ask him,,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back