Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Dont want to hijack Jaws thread so........Please bear in mind I am a technical numpty........

A damp meter is a twin pronged probe that generates a current between the prongs if the surface or substance is damp enough to pass it - Yes ???

If damp, or the lack of it, is so important in motorhomes would it not be possible to 'wire in' a number of probes in likely places so that an alarm was activated when damp was detected ???

OK. I said I was a numpty. Fire away

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If damp, or the lack of it, is so important in motorhomes would it not be possible to 'wire in' a number of probes in likely places so that an alarm was activated when damp was detected ???

Nice thinking old timer.

But it's all costs that does not look glamorous and worse the opposition would say "We don't need to build damp meters into OUR vehicles".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Nice thinking old timer.

But it's all costs that does not look glamorous and worse the opposition would say "We don't need to build damp meters into OUR vehicles".

Old Timer ? Cheeky bu@@er :ROFLMAO:

I was thinking more of a DIY job than built in. how difficult could it be ?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Very Good Cowboy
Stangley I'm just looking at a job (In work. I do some sometime) that will have a damp monitoring system installed to it. The very small instrument cables will be buried inside of the insulation and wired in to the instruments which will of course tell us whether we have any damp, how much and where.

This could be easily incorporated into a mh. How much it would cost I dont know, but could probabley find out and if I can find out so can the mh manufacturers.

I woudnt have thought that it would have been very expensive, particularly if sampling strategic positions only within the mh. Its a good idea.:Smile:
Jim
:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Very.

Loads of wires to route.

New, fitted before the skin is dropped on the frame. it would be easy but costly.

Agree with Brian, a retro would be ugly and expensive. You could maybe try it here and there but mmmmmmmmmmm not convinced.

Jim
:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
good idea but i dont think it would work....

these thing work on the conductivity and resistance between two given points and are very sensitive.

bone dry.....very high resistance.....no reading

wet through....very low resistance....high reading

you start adding varying lengths of wire from different points around the motorhome to a central check point then you will alter the resistance between the two given points at any location.

the only way you could overcome that would be to know the 'normal' reading for every individual point and have a list of figures to refer to.

not worth the effort for the sake of just walking around the van checking individual points as you go.

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hiya Pappa, weve all just been sat discussing the finer points of this enerprise and as you say its not as simple as first made out.

Its simple enough but would be costly for not a great deal of benefit in return.

Jim
:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All this talk of a damp alarm:Eeek:
And no ones thought how you would turn the damn thing off Beeeeep bleeeeeeeeep bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Ah!! Damp in me walls wheres that blow lamp:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back