Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Good morning all,
I have just tried to start my M/H Autotrail. Would not turn over batt flat and the panel above the door shows a row of squares on the blue background and ticking every second.

The M/H is standing, I start it every week to keep things working. Any advise please.

Ivan :cry:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi, cant help with your specific problem, but if you photograph the panel, and upload it onto here another funster might recognise it and be able to help further xxxx

good luck

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

The trouble with starting a vehicle weekly, especially in this cold weather, is that it's likely that the process of starting draws more amps from the battery than is put back whilst the engine is running for only a short period.

The plug heaters, starter relay and starter motor draw more from the battery than just about anything else that hangs off the engine!!

I was told back in my army days, that the amps used to start a petrol engine would need at least 30 mins of the engine running to replace.

I think a good re-charge, and solicitous use of the starter will set things straight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
With modern engines it is really not a great idea to do the weekly start thing..
All you are doing is ensuring a goodly amount of condensation is ending up in the engine and in general is doing doing things too many favours

There are fairly specific stand up procedures ( dealing with aspects such as tyres, battery, weather protection etc etc ) but in all honesty a weekly start is def not one of them.

At most, do a monthly start but yes, it should be run for at least 15 minutes just to bring the whole block and various bolted on bits up to working temperature ( alternately a 10 mile run would be best )

There is an advert for oil on television some times.. In it they say the most damage to an engine is done in the first 30 seconds ( or something like that )..
Believe me, that is very very true !!

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
Good morning all,
I have just tried to start my M/H Autotrail. Would not turn over batt flat and the panel above the door shows a row of squares on the blue background and ticking every second.

The M/H is standing, I start it every week to keep things working. Any advise please.

Ivan :cry:

HI
my battery is always going flat if left. I now put my van on charge for a day every two weeks.This has solveed my problem...(2008 swift bolero 680fb).I ALSO START THE ENGINE UP AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH,WHEN N OT IN USE.
regards mike

Last edited:

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
I too have been advised to take my motorhome out for a 10 mile run every month since I had battery trouble.
Recently I bought a solar charger from Maplins, on special offer @ £9.99, normally £19.99.
It seems to have been successful and kept my starter battery topped up. Incidentally, I disconnect the negative terminal whilst it's on charge as I was also advised that it's best.
As you can probably tell, I know very little about vehicle maitainance, but I'm learning as I go along, sometimes at a price !
Cheers, Denny.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
HI
my battery is always going flat if left. I now put my van on charge for a day every two weeks.This has solveed my problem...(2008 swift bolero 680fb).I ALSO START THE ENGINE UP AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH,WHEN N OT IN USE.
regards mike

Mike

I have noticed you have a Bolero and main battery going flat, have you had the reversing camera (infa red) fix done? This may well be your problem, as soon as I did mine it was sorted:thumb:

Pm me if you need further details or email Swift for the wires to change. It was very easy but would not cost you much to get someone to do it. Or get along to a meet and someone will be able to do it

Steve

mbmulvihill

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Funster No
Alivan
This happened to my last Autotrail Scout SE
Manual says unclip surround of panel above door
Draw panel towards you and unclip the wire connection going into the panel
Wait twenty seconds
Reconnect wires to panel Push fit
replace panel and surround
with a charge this cured my problem
Hope this helps

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Alivan
This happened to my last Autotrail Scout SE
Manual says unclip surround of panel above door
Draw panel towards you and unclip the wire connection going into the panel
Wait twenty seconds
Reconnect wires to panel Push fit
replace panel and surround
with a charge this cured my problem
Hope this helps

yes this is correct, same happend to me, its worth adding to charge the van battery form the onoboard charger, you need to select it on the pannel, top row of buttons second from left, turn it on and this transfers the charge or source of power to the van battery.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi there, not the same van so this may be a silly answer (apologise if it is) but my little squares represent the oil not the battery .... I didn't know that until I was concerned they were all empty:Eeek: and I took it to a local garage:Smile:!!!!! (I know, I know - women should learn how to read the manuals).

Could that be the case with you?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi there, not the same van so this may be a silly answer (apologise if it is) but my little squares represent the oil not the battery .... I didn't know that until I was concerned they were all empty:Eeek: and I took it to a local garage:Smile:!!!!! (I know, I know - women should learn how to read the manuals).

Could that be the case with you?

i think i may have miss-understood, i was thinking it was the habitaion pannel above the the habition door.:Doh:

glad all is well now, but rember to check your oil regulary, how many miles has your van done?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
About six thousand.

I don't have a panel above the habitation door, sorry.:Blush: