Airbag Warning Light after changing seats (1 Viewer)

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I have taken the double passenger seat out of my 2009 Citroen Relay to fit a single seat, now the airbag warning light stays on. (If I plug the double passenger seat back in again it goes off)

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this please?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our Nissan Terrano car developed this problem. We put up with it for weeks, knowing it was because we'd had a flat battery ( kids left internal light on and we went off for the weekend in the MH:RollEyes:) Nothing important.
We were told, by a mate who works for relay, it needed to be looked at by Nissan diagnostics.
Ralph looked up the problem over the net.

Someone had posted a solution which was :-
Turn ignition on wait for red light to flash for 7 seconds ( air bag red light that is !)
turn off ignition
repeat 3 times.
It worked , seemingly it re-sets everything. So much for a diagnostic check up . Its still working........

Bev

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know for sure, and airbags are dangerous things, but it could be related to seat occupancy.

no-one in the seat and in the event of an accident the airbag wont deploy for that seat.

i'm not suggesting for one minute you would but DONT try to deactivate the airbags..without techy knowledge they WILL activate.

can you trace the wiring within the seat and find the sensor then transplant it into the new seat ?

not only does the light mean a fault exists, it means ALL the airbags DONT WORK AT ALL as its registering a fault in the system.
also an MOT failure point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our Nissan Terrano car developed this problem. We put up with it for weeks, knowing it was because we'd had a flat battery ( kids left internal light on and we went off for the weekend in the MH:RollEyes:) Nothing important.
We were told, by a mate who works for relay, it needed to be looked at by Nissan diagnostics.
Ralph looked up the problem over the net.

Someone had posted a solution which was :-
Turn ignition on wait for red light to flash for 7 seconds ( air bag red light that is !)
turn off ignition
repeat 3 times.
It worked , seemingly it re-sets everything. So much for a diagnostic check up . Its still working........

Bev

that wont cure the fault if the seat sensor is missing, as in this case.:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Missed that bit pappa :Doh:
But if ever the light on the dash starts flashing, after a flat battery , try it , it worked for us and saved us loads of ££
Bev

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have taken the double passenger seat out of my 2009 Citroen Relay to fit a single seat, now the airbag warning light stays on. (If I plug the double passenger seat back in again it goes off)

you failed to say whether your single seat is the proper single seat that is fitted to this model and if you plugged in the new seat , obviously you have to have the correct seat and sensor fitted

OP
OP
P

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Sorry I should have said. There is only one airbag, which is on the drivers side, nevertheless the airbag and passenger seatbelt warning light stays on when the original double passenger seat is unplugged, and the dashboard panel says 'consult handbook' which tells you nothing. When the original double passenger seat connector is plugged back in all the warning lights go out again, irrespective of whether or not anyone is in the seat.

I don't have a single passenger original equipment seat with a sensor, the single passenger seat I was thinking of installing does not have any sensors. Just had a look at the original double passenger seat and it appears the sensors are sewn into the seat so I would have to butcher the original double passenger seat to get them out. :Blush:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
WARNING
A special procedure is reqd to disarm your airbag before ANY type of work is undertaken on seat/seatbelt systems even removing/re fitting seats can cause an unexpected deployment, a very dangerous and expensive mistake
Under no circumstance start prodding Air bag circuitry with meters or probes without fully disarming the system
An illuminated air bag light is not an MoT failure
seek expert advise there is a solution that an auto electrician can do for you
Geo

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Geo is what we did ok.
The ignition thing?
It worked, the light stopped flashing anyway.
Bev

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
WARNING
A special procedure is reqd to disarm your airbag before ANY type of work is undertaken on seat/seatbelt systems even removing/re fitting seats can cause an unexpected deployment, a very dangerous and expensive mistake
Under no circumstance start prodding Air bag circuitry with meters or probes without fully disarming the system
An illuminated air bag light is not an MoT failure
seek expert advise there is a solution that an auto electrician can do for you
Geo

yep...my mistake :Blush:

thinking of the ABS light.:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Are you jesting or serious :whatthe:
And yes , you have got me thinking now.
So if you know , tell, or ill set my Border terriers on you:ROFLMAO:
Bev

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
same but opposite

I have the same problem with my 2007 ducato... i fitted a double crew cab seat so that my son could sit up front.
The air bag light came on after removing the single seat.
the van is in north east truck and van gateshead having remedial work done for the judder.
They are having no luck with clearing the fault and say they have nad no luck for a answer from italy?
They told me that it is a MOT failure when the time comes.... very soon April:Angry:
i was wondering if i fitted the old seat back in if the fault would clear or could be cleared
my van has only the one air bag

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I have the same problem with my 2007 ducato... i fitted a double crew cab seat so that my son could sit up front.
The air bag light came on after removing the single seat.
the van is in north east truck and van gateshead having remedial work done for the judder.
They are having no luck with clearing the fault and say they have nad no luck for a answer from italy?
They told me that it is a MOT failure when the time comes.... very soon April:Angry:
i was wondering if i fitted the old seat back in if the fault would clear or could be cleared
my van has only the one air bag

maybe you could swap seats and cure each others. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo is what we did ok.
The ignition thing?
It worked, the light stopped flashing anyway.
Bev
Yup some systems can be re set using that method
Disconecting and or probing may cause spikes:Eeek:
and that definatley smakes em go BANG!!!!!!!!!!!
Any recovery driver will tell you
If the air bag has gone off put a plasic cover on the seat before getting in:thumb:
more than likely the seat will be WET or worse:Eeek: and im not talking sweat:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Yup some systems can be re set using that method
Disconecting and or probing may cause spikes:Eeek:
and that definatley smakes em go BANG!!!!!!!!!!!
Any recovery driver will tell you
If the air bag has gone off put a plasic cover on the seat before getting in:thumb:
more than likely the seat will be WET or worse:Eeek: and im not talking sweat:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for getting back to me Geo with that important info. I can go to bed now without worrying that the air bags might go off/ wont work when i go out in the car with the kids tommorow morning:thumb:
Oh an yeeuuk about the wet seat bit .
Bev
Nighty night
PScant thank you properly , keep getting logged out again!

Last edited:

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
When I ordered my new Vito I specified 2 seperate front seats but the salesman only had his selling ears on and it came with a bench and drivers seat. They rectified the mistake (after a 7 week wait) but the airbag light was on when I drove it out of the showroom. It went back in for reset but it couldn`t be done as the ECU was stilll thinking it had 3 seats, so a new ECU had to be fitted.

Don`t know if this would apply to your vehicle but a possibilty.

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
I still have my original seat and i have just had a quick look
Traced the plug lead from the seat to a seat belt sensor unit next to the pre tensioner.
looks if the crew cab seat is wired to take 2 outputs while the single seat is wired for 1.
Still strange that a large main dealer cannot sort the problem out?
i might take the wiring from the single seat and fit to the crew cab..... but not ideal?
any thoughts as i don't fancy splashing out £££££ for a new ECU
This might only be for a year or so as the son is 17 soon
and wont' want to come with us

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you jesting or serious :whatthe:
And yes , you have got me thinking now.
So if you know , tell, or ill set my Border terriers on you:ROFLMAO:
Bev

My jack russels would kill 'em. :ROFLMAO:

it was just something that passed through my mind.
worth checking out though just in case.

im sure the official disarm procedure would be a little more complicated than a few key turns.

you could ask at a body repair workshop as they will disarm the bags to do repairs to accident damaged cars.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

im sure the official disarm procedure would be a little more complicated than a few key turns.

you could ask at a body repair workshop as they will disarm the bags to do repairs to accident damaged cars.
Does your Air bag light still come on with ignition
Does it then go out when started
If yes to both your safe:thumb:
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Geo

mine doesnt come on with the ign hence it doesnt go off when engine started.....:Sad:

could this have anything to do with....NOT HAVING AIRBAGS :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

metalmickey

Free Member
Dec 15, 2009
wakefield, yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
3 years
Your double seat has two pretentioners so putting a single seat in means only one pretentioner is present and pluged in. two fixes are poss have ecu reset for one tentioner or (NOT RECOMENDED) buy simulator from dealer and plug that in (its only a resistor in a connector for testing) but will bring air bags back on line and system will work fine.:Doh:

searider

Free Member
Jun 19, 2009
north lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile,
Exp
3 years
airbag warning light

the airbag system fault is due to the control unit being configured for three seatbelts, which have pre tensioners which are activated by the airbag control unit,
they have microswitches in them to detect fastened belt,
the pre tensioners have strong springs inside,so watch your fingers they have inertia deployment , some have sensors wired in
some control units can be re coded to allow changes some cant ,
i will make some enquiries , i have a friend at a dealer
it will be the same as my ducato
regards charlie

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
mine doesnt come on with the ign hence it doesnt go off when engine started.....:Sad:

could this have anything to do with....NOT HAVING AIRBAGS :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
John you can now have an operation and have them installed in yer chest:thumb:
Ive seen em on the telly:RollEyes:
Not to be confused with the female type which are fitted already deployed:Doh:
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John you can now have an operation and have them installed in yer chest:thumb:
Ive seen em on the telly:RollEyes:
Not to be confused with the female type which are fitted already deployed:Doh:
Geo

had it done already Geo.
problems started when, after the implant, the theatre nurse pointed out i was on the table the wrong way round......thats why i'v got a fat belly. :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

Geo

Yes to both questions Geo. Thanks.

Bev:thumb:

OP
OP
P

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Many Thanks for all the replies :thumb:

maybe you could swap seats and cure each others. :thumb:

Interesting Idea, but I am not sure it is the same seat as the seats in the Citroen Relay are dark grey, and in the Fiat Ducato I have seen they are red in the middle. Also the possible problem of 2 sensors in the double seat and only one in the single.

OP
OP
P

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Geo

When you switch on the ignition, the airbag warning comes on then goes off again irrespective of whether or not you start the engine. But that sounds near enough Thanks :thumb:

Wozza1981

Free Member
Jan 27, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie

Just had my 2007 Relay into Citroen Main dealer to fix same problem and get MOT, still got problem:Doh: but have MOT::bigsmile:?? thought this was a MOT failure in 2012, anyway, back to your point, when the numpty I bought the van off changed the seat, he also cut off the cable to the second seat belt,the mechanic said I need to get the loom and he would fit a resistor into the unused seatbelt cable and this would remove the error. Apparently, the SRS module is programmed for 3 seat belt restraints, so when you change from a double passenger to single you are only plugging in 1 seat belt restraint, so I'm on the hunt for the wiring loom under the seat

Hope This helps

KNILOWE

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Seat removal fiat ducto 2007

Hi, new to this but I felt that this info had to be shared.
Having recently completed Fiat Ducato van conversion and changed over vehicle info @DVLA ,I took it along for a MOT only to fail, due to air bar light illuminating. I then visited a local Auto Electrician who plugged the van in and diagnosed Pre-Tensioner missing ( this was on the seat which I removed then sold !) causing warning light to show on the dash. Following loads of research on various forums including this one I purchased @ £1.99 2.2 ohm resistor (air bag switch off resistor from ebay) with fuse and wired this across the 2 unattached cables under the passenger seat and Bob's your uncle the warning light went off after a while !! Took the van back in for MOT and it passed with flying colours.
Thank you very much Motorhomefun.:Smile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back