whale autofill (1 Viewer)

N

Nobody

Deleted User
moterhome new to me compas avantgarde 100 it hasthe whale autofill system ineed to buy a barrel to connect it to it can also be connected to mains water what container would you advise make and what hose and lengths for mains use:winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
moterhome new to me compas avantgarde 100 it hasthe whale autofill system

Must you ?

Where do you store it ?

It seems to me you are reverting to the bad old ways of tuggers. Except that their ways do work if you stay in one place for days on end, in which case a caravan is probably a better solution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and what do you do for water if there is no water tap ????

you would not survive at the shows/rallies...the tap could be 300 or 400mtrs away from your pitch.

the whale autofill is an option....just fill your tank as usual from the tap with a hose, watering can etc

Upvote 0

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
moterhome new to me compas avantgarde 100 it hasthe whale autofill system ineed to buy a barrel to connect it to it can also be connected to mains water what container would you advise make and what hose and lengths for mains use:winky:

My 115 has the same system & can only be filled using either the flat 25 metre(?) hose or submersible pump that attach to the socket on the van, both of which were supplied with it. I bought a Fiamma 25 litre wheeled container, but anything you fancy would do. I think the dust cover on the pump collar is actually designed to fit an Aquaroll.

I had a problem with it which was fixed under warranty - see here:

Link Removed

but it's OK now.

Since the main tank is only 45 litres, you can leave your container & pump attached & it will automatically top the tank up as required.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looking at the link that has to be the most ridiculous system to date and my first job would be to replace the filler with a regular filler cap...fiamma etc.

what happens if the filler selonoid fails...how do you get water in then ?

what if the submersible pump fails and you cant get near a tap to use a hose ? ie: rallies/shows.....most of these locations have a water bowser, not a tap.

definately not a system that i'd want on my van.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
looking at the link that has to be the most ridiculous system to date and my first job would be to replace the filler with a regular filler cap...fiamma etc.

what happens if the filler selonoid fails...how do you get water in then ?

what if the submersible pump fails and you cant get near a tap to use a hose ? ie: rallies/shows.....most of these locations have a water bowser, not a tap.

definately not a system that i'd want on my van.

You would have to replace more than the filler.

It's no more likely to break than anything else.

Windup windows & starting handles anyone?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You would have to replace more than the filler.

It's no more likely to break than anything else.

Windup windows & starting handles anyone?

complete filler with housing to fit side of van.

Outlet to suit 40mm flexible pipe. Diameter of housing 120mm. Comes with 2 keys. 85mm diameter hole required in body panel to fit.

Price: £13.75 (inc VAT)

Upvote 0

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
I don't think it is as simple as that. The socket on the van is like this:
Link Removed
and inside there is a pressure switch
Link Removed
and a pump
Link Removed

I guess you could replace the whole system, but why bother?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so what you have there is a caravan water system but with a small onboard tank and, presumably, an onboard pump.

i was going to say,,, what on earth were compass thinking of fitting that, but then they probably have a warehouse full of them for their caravan range.

as i said before.....for me, that system would be the first thing to be changed even before the status 315 aerial.

too many moving parts for me....
my basic system..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
Yes, it has a pump. Please see my previous post 'and a pump' with the image of a pump.

I can only dream of 100+ litre tanks, so when you only have a 45 litre onboard tank, it's nice to have access to another source which will automatically top it up for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, it has a pump. Please see my previous post 'and a pump' with the image of a pump.

I can only dream of 100+ litre tanks, so when you only have a 45 litre onboard tank, it's nice to have access to another source which will automatically top it up for you.

sorry, i missed the pump bit....i thought it was a filter. :Blush:

i appreciate only having a 45ltr tank is a pain but if the filler system fails you are then stuck without any means of filling the tank anyway.

my last caravan had the whale filler socket and a submersible pump (conventional type, no tank) and it was nothing but problems.
the water plug/socket never did seal properly and allowed air to enter when the pump was off and the electric socket was hit and miss as to whether it would contact or not.

eventually i took the lot out and installed a 70ltr tank under the lounge seat with an aqua 8 pump. never another problem. :thumb:

it is your choice and your van but it isnt a system i'd want.

but going back to your original post....an aquaroll is about the best option.
lay down or stand up..2 filler holes (end and side), removable dragging handle, built in rubber 'wheels' and 30 or 40 ltr capacity. :thumb:

Upvote 0

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
if the filler system fails you are then stuck without any means of filling the tank anyway.

Don't remind me! I'll keep my fingers crossed....................

Upvote 0

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Don't despair Johngee, I have a 3 year old 115 and we find there is more than enough space for water. We keep up to 'five' 5 litre containers of fresh water up front in the long cupboard above the drivers head (good for rear axle loading) We keep a 25 litre jerrycan full of water in the footwell of the habitation door (fits perfectly, bad for rear axle loading...) and 45 litre in the onboard tank - Plenty! Don't forget that the first thing you must do is plug the overflow in your 45 litre tank or when you arrive you will discover only 15 litres left... We use the jerrycan on a small foldup trolley to carry water to and fro - Your aquaroll will be just as good but storing it might be a pain. I reckon the old system with pappajohn's filler is a little better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back