More problems with Swift 630G (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The latest problem to develop with my Swift Suntor 630G is with the fresh water tank.

The tank is a molded polythene, (I think) and has a molded filling point that looks like a female socket with a cast in thread built into it. Well the treads seem to have stripped as it cannot be tightened up and is leaking when the tank is filled to the top.

I will probably modify it by cutting out the socket and fitting it with something in brass.

Doug...

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
The latest problem to develop with my Swift Suntor 630G is with the fresh water tank.

The tank is a molded polythene, (I think) and has a molded filling point that looks like a female socket with a cast in thread built into it. Well the treads seem to have stripped as it cannot be tightened up and is leaking when the tank is filled to the top.

I will probably modify it by cutting out the socket and fitting it with something in brass.

Doug...

Hi Doug, have you tried some ptf tape on the threads, this will help if the threads are a bit weak, available for pence from any plumbers/builders yard. can you see it leaking ?
you say it only leaks when its full, it isnt the overflow leaking and the waters dripping from the plug is it ?

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Well I started typing "how about cyno" then realised the screw is there for a reason. I fixed my ice damaged shower tap with cyno gel.

Less grippy - plastic padding liquid metal, or similar epoxy putty, you'd probably be able to unscrew that.

But ptfe as suggested is probably best one to try first.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Doug, have you tried some ptf tape on the threads, this will help if the threads are a bit weak, available for pence from any plumbers/builders yard. can you see it leaking ?
you say it only leaks when its full, it isnt the overflow leaking and the waters dripping from the plug is it ?

John

Well I started typing "how about cyno" then realised the screw is there for a reason. I fixed my ice damaged shower tap with cyno gel.

Less grippy - plastic padding liquid metal, or similar epoxy putty, you'd probably be able to unscrew that.

But ptfe as suggested is probably best one to try first.

Yes to the PTFE but it makes the problem worse, the fit between the male and female threads is not a good one, the thread on the tank is rounded and the plastic fitting is a little sharper so they do not even mate up properly.

Its a typical cowboy job. The normal movement and flexing when the van is moving is enough to disturb the fit so bonding/gluing will probably not work. There is only 4 or 5 inches from the filler connection on the outside of the van to the tank fitting and of course the pipe doing the connecting is not in line and has to be bent to fit so the whole thing is under stress be for the van even moves.

Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes to the PTFE but it makes the problem worse, the fit between the male and female threads is not a good one, the thread on the tank is rounded and the plastic fitting is a little sharper so they do not even mate up properly.
Doug...

They've gone and fitted a top from a different model/version have they ?

Sounds like an nice flexible convoluted bit of hose is called for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back