Top tips for best fuel economy? (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
With fuel prices going through the roof, I thought it might be useful to get everyone's top tips to squeeze the most MPG out of each gallon.

1. Make sure tyres are always at the correct pressure.
2. Anticipate traffic light changing by slowing down on approach thereby avoiding stopping.
3. Empty waste tank before leaving site.
4. Keep to 56 - 60mph (after which serious wnd resistance kicks in).

Any more ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
With fuel prices going through the roof, I thought it might be useful to get everyone's top tips to squeeze the most MPG out of each gallon.
2. Anticipate traffic light changing by slowing down on approach thereby avoiding stopping.
4. Keep to 56 - 60mph (after which serious wnd resistance kicks in).Any more ?
Get a fuel trip computer fitted. Driving with the real time display selected will soon teach you the most economical way to drive. Driving from Norfolk yesterday I was aware within 20 miles that I had a problem. I checked my tyres and one was down to 18psi. No physical change just the economy had dropped off a bit. Pumped it up and was backed to normal again. :coolthumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Get a fuel trip computer fitted.

Hi Buttons. Is This the gadget your talking about as I'm seriousley thinking of getting one.

Kiwi MPG Meter, Trip Computer, Engine Check Scan Tool $89.00 + Postage. This is on Fleabay

What type do you have, where did you get it, how much was it etc.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I've just had a 'Google around' and also found Scangauge 2 for around £125.So long as your vehicle is OBD compliant (whatever that is-no doubt someone will tell me soon Lol) that would seem to be a solution.
C'mon you Techy guys-I could do with summat like this myself.

Mike.

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
OBD = On board diagnostic

Fitted as standard on all vehicles from 2000 on, usually a scart shape socket in the drivers footwell, or behind a dash trim panel by right knee on Citroens, pugs and fiats:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Fitted as standard on all vehicles from 2000 on, usually a scart shape socket in the drivers footwell, or behind a dash trim panel by right knee on Citroens, pugs and fiats:Smile:

Now that I know what it is, I'm fairly sure I've got it.

Jim
:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

ok if you have a problem but not practical if you're just looking to find the most economical driving conditions/style.

as stated, speed, tyres, hard acceleration, heavy/late braking, choice of route (many hills) etc....all contribute to poor fuel economy.

wooly

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 Years
Hi We fitted a scangauge2 a year ago, brilliant bit of kit, plugs into the vehicle computer socket ( as said in footwell) reads all the information off the computer and you can set loads of different trips, also reads any problem codes. Once set up you know exactly how much fuel you have used thus telling you why Inter Mache in France can sell fuel so cheaply - we were short fuelled twice last year - it needs to be 5p/litre cheaper.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi We fitted a scangauge2 a year ago, brilliant bit of kit, plugs into the vehicle computer socket ( as said in footwell) reads all the information off the computer and you can set loads of different trips, also reads any problem codes. Once set up you know exactly how much fuel you have used thus telling you why Inter Mache in France can sell fuel so cheaply - we were short fuelled twice last year - it needs to be 5p/litre cheaper.

Did you fit it yourself because I'm useless.

Jim

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

4. Keep to 56 - 60mph (after which serious wnd resistance kicks in).

Any more ?

I let the wife drive as she is a better driver then me---Well so she says!! and who am I to argue.. Anything for quiet life:ROFLMAO:

wooly

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
4 Years
Hi, yes the Scangauge2 gives real time fuel consumption, engine temp, throttle position, engine load, voltage, speed and a load of other things off the computer that I cant remember at the moment. As regards fitting, there is none as it is plug and play. You need to calibrate the first couple of tanks of fuel, and also the speed against sat nav to get all the readings accurate. It will work in mph,kph,gallons, litres, centigrade or fahrenheit and any combination of the above. It seems to tick the boxes, all the American motor-homers use them.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons. Is This the gadget your talking about as I'm seriousley thinking of getting one.Kiwi MPG Meter, Trip Computer, Engine Check Scan Tool $89.00 + Postage. This is on FleabayWhat type do you have, where did you get it, how much was it etc.Jim:Smile:

Not sure about retrofit units as mine was factory fitted. It has a number of options but left on real time display, you soon learn what type of driving uses most fuel.

Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Drive down hill more.

fill up at your local farm with red diesel

Cheers!
Barry

PS Sorry its Friday and Ive nearly finished work in what was a really crappy week!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. I am a right gadget freak to say the least.. Love anything with widgets bells whistles and buttons on !!
On that score yep, can see the appeal
But on the economy front I aint so sure..
Reason for that rather odd statement ?
Well the average price seems to be about £100 or so.
Hell of a lot of careful driving has got to be done to get that back :Smile:

( and before someone from a certain northern town jumps on this, it IS meant to be a light hearted observation !! )

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
More tips.
Have the family tag along but at the back 'pushing'

Use someone elses fuel,or someone else to pay

buy a pushbike and tent

Use a breakdown service often

Have a friend that likes towing

Use different transport (covered wagon as in pic )

Change to LPG :thumb:

Attachments

• My life in Bulgaria 105.jpg
    My life in Bulgaria 105.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
So, .... to get back to serious tips (other thank mpg meters) .......

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ok.. I am a right gadget freak to say the least.. Love anything with widgets bells whistles and buttons on !!
On that score yep, can see the appeal
But on the economy front I aint so sure..
Reason for that rather odd statement ?
Well the average price seems to be about £100 or so.
Hell of a lot of careful driving has got to be done to get that back :Smile:
( and before someone from a certain northern town jumps on this, it IS meant to be a light hearted observation !! )
[FONT=&quot]If I had to list my factory fitted options in order of preference it would be like this. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A/C [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Electric windows[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cruise control[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Central looking[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fuel trip computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Awning[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Privacy windows[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Metallic paint[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Etc[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mine keeps me occupied for hours while driving. If you are a widget person then you will get a lot more from a fuel computer than just better economy. Fact is you could become a bit of a mpg anorak like me. I think £100 would be well spent. Would you like to know how many MPG I got between London and Norfolk this week.::bigsmile:riving2::ROFLMAO:[/FONT]

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am with you 100% but I will also admit to driving with a constant eye on the ruddy computer readout ::bigsmile:
I rather like a vacuum gauge as it really is an instant readout ( and being a tightwad, about a 1/4 the cost ! )

Ok, fuel tips..
Get rid of the top box
Oh, an odd one folk tend to forget. Make sure the front of the van/cabover is nice and clean ( preferably polished )

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Only problem with adding trip computers into the mix, is they require power, power is energy and energy comes from fuel.

You would be far better spending the money on a SAFED course and learn how to drive fuel efficiently. Or try it yourself! Fill up the tank until it clicks twice. Then go for a circuit drive of say 12 miles. First drive as you normally would.

Repeat the process, fill up etc and go round the same circuit. Look far ahead, do not stop at junctions, roundabouts as 56% of fuel is wasted pulling from a standstill. Slowly crawl up to these and be observant. (traffic behind will be fine as they as still moving!!) Learn to 'block change' gears - ie change from 4th to second etc, by practising slowing until the speed reaches the 2nd gears speed. It uses fuel everytime you change gear and use the clutch.

Most importantly, when going up hills, let the vehicle climb! Right until it wants to give up, then change down. It will not throw out black, unburnt fuel out the exhasut like it does when you knock down a gear and floor it! lol!

Do those sort of things, fill again and see if you made a saving!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
50 HP = 37,500 watts.

A trip computer, maybe 1W

Yeah so that only leaves 37,499 for forward motion:Doh:
He's right :moon::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our van has a trip computer but I never put it on instant fuel, too scary.

I find the best way to save fuel if you a tight like me is to draft a big truck, of if you are in a rush draft a coach:Smile:

Alternatively keep an eye on the weather and only drive with a tail wind:roflmto:

Rich...

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yep you can tell on the instant read out even if you are a reasonable distance back.

At 56 Mph on the flat our comp normally reads about 25ish Mpg but draft a truck at the same and it will read closer to 30.

On uphills it does not make as much difference though and you can see single figures.:cry::cry::cry:

Our van like going down hill with a tail wind, does a steady 99+ Mpg then:Smile:

Rich...

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The trip computer on X2/50's have an instant readout of MPG, miles to refuel etc.

Its amazing the difference that keeping under 60mph makes. Slogging up a steep hill is eye-watering but coasting downhill you are using negligable amounts of fuel.

So my tip is find a nice steady HGV, Tesco drivers are good, tuck in behind them and save a fortune. Keeps insects from getting squashed on the front too!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Don't trust the trip for accuracy - they are only a guide. wait until the refill milage pops to zero, and you will still be running!

What i mentioned on the power of after market ones, may only be 1kw, but add that to the radio being on, the air con, or the window open a jar and it all adds up!

Even running on your winter tyres can drop 1 or 2mpg off. The idea of fuel economy is making adjustments to all these little bits, that add up to maybe a 4 or 5 mpg saving. Which over a journey would be worth it - you won't be doing anything that noticable in terms of extra mileage.
Just drive at a steady speed, smoothly and be aware of your accessories!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't trust the trip for accuracy - they are only a guide. wait until the refill milage pops to zero, and you will still be running!!

Not yet taken mine to zero. So are you saying that I am getting even more MPG than my indicated average 44.3mpg. Giving me more than 800 miles to one tank full.:Cool:

I wonder what I could achieve if I turned the trip comp off and used your recommended driving method.:ROFLMAO:

Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
a few ramblings...

Speedometer speeds never seem to equate with GPS speeds. Is this because vehicle manufacturers want us to keep below speed limits, by giving a built in safety margin or do they want us to think our vehicle is quicker and more economic than it actually is?

Cruise control is supposed to increase mpg - any comment, pl?

So is engine re-mapping - again, any comment pl?

Economy economics are difficult. The chap who suggests changing tyres for winter and summer forgets that the tyres are limited by age, as much as anything, and it takes one hell of a mileage to recover a doubling of tyre cost.

One real bit of advice is to get a lighter right foot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back