How many miles from a set of tyres ? (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
How many miles do you get from a set of tyres on your MH, assuming they don't go out of date first (and on what vehicle) ?

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
I have a Kontiki 660. Just swapped the front to rear at 25000 and rear to front. Should get another 25000 before replacing them all.

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
How many miles do you get from a set of tyres on your MH, assuming they don't go out of date first (and on what vehicle) ?

In theory, you are in a similar situation to having tyres on a Caravan. Very often Caravans travel relatively very few miles therefore the tread on them can be excellent even if the tyres are 6 or 7 years old.

The problem is they have gone through 6 or 7 summers and 6 or 7 winters as well and I believe they do have a recommended 'lifespan' and they do deteriorate although not perhaps obviously visible.

As a guide I think they should be replaced every 3 years regardless whether they have tons of tread left on them. A lot does depend on how often you use your MH and how many miles per year you do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Tyres

I cant give straight answer because they go out of date before they wear out and to date we usually have changed the Van. So I replaced the tyres on my current van at 28,000 Miles.

Steve

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They do go a little funny with the UV light rotting them, and flat spots. You could try wheels chocks and covers, or do what a friend of mine does - takes a bit of work, but quite worth it really!

When he first bought the vehicle, it was great, then on the way home, he developed an rubbling and vibration. Had it checked, and as he thought, it was just flat spots - so he needed new tyres. Being it was a new toy, he noticed they sold alloys and to cut a long story short, he had a set with tyres for £600.

Now every year, after he 'winterises' - he takes off the alloys, put them in the garage, and puts the originals steel ones on - complete with the old 'flat spots'. At least he is making use I suppose!

But, should there be a van breaking at a scrap merchants, they wouldn't want much for a set of bald wheels/tyres - ideal for winter stand ups if you don't mind an hours labour changing them back and forth each season.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have never managed to wear one out yet.
They always show signes of perishing first.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
What do you class as Cheapo / Good ones peter ? :Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
our 1990 motorhome had the original tyres on it when we bought it and we changed the tyres this year its done approx 45,000 miles

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Always has Michelins in the past. The new van has continentals fitted :Smile:

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I suppose allot can be said about the good and bad of all tyre`s from various manufactures at the end of the day most people go for what they can afford

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Always has Michelins in the past. The new van has continentals fitted :Smile:

I find the Continentals (Vanco) quieter than Michelins but the Michies were the XC Camping tyres. I got nothing like 35000 on my front tyres (XCs). Can't off-hand remember what I did get though, and we do tend to travel some fairly rugged roads at times (for example, a lot of Swedish roads don't have any tarmac).

John

Last edited:

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
As a guide I think they should be replaced every 3 years regardless whether they have tons of tread left on them. A lot does depend on how often you use your MH and how many miles per year you do.

Every 3 years :Eeek:!!! Bad enough being advised by tyre manufacturers to change every 5 - never mind 3.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I had one brand new Michelin Camping tyre fitted to my mh. It blew out in a week.

No response from Michelin. No more Michelin for me.

Jim
:Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think the maximum life of a tyre is given as 7 years but we always change at 5 - might seem a bit over the top but years ago I had a tyre wall blow out on an old tyre - plenty of tread - I was towing a 31/2 tonne trailer on the back of an old 109 landy - and trust me the landy handled it but I needed a change of clothes and a shower afterwards:Doh: - after that I swore I would never ever run on old tyres again - any sign of cracking crazing no matter how old they are they are gone. As they say you learn by your mistakes and experiences :ROFLMAO:

peterholden

Free Member
May 23, 2009
Funster No
Romahome coming up to 3yrs old and 30,000 miles. At last service advised that cracks are appearing between the tread and the walls, tyres are about 3yrs 6months old from date codes. The tyres are Michelin Agilis and the front tyres have 4mm and the rears 6mm of tread. National tyres have advised replacement for safety reasons. I have replaced them with Barum Vannis tyres and i have already noticed an improvement in ride and tyre noise. Michelins may be very good for high mileage but they do not last time wise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back