Cutting the Cost of French Tolls (1 Viewer)

FrCrilly

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Funster No
Hi All,

I’m planning a trip to France for the first time and I want to research the burden of French tolls beforehand. I have heard estimates of €100 to €200 to get from Cherbourg to the south of France (and the same back again).

While I will accept the fact that tolls are part of a French motorhome holiday, I would like to know if these costs can be significantly controlled. I’m sure a lot of my time will be spent on non-tolled back roads but I am also sure there will be times when I’ll want to get to places as quickly as possible. Below is a collection of routes where I envisage that this could potentially be the case.

Can I now ask experienced motorhomers if they come across any clever ways to reduce these costs. The kind of things I’m looking for include “this motorway route is a similar length but is more toll cost efficient than that one”, “the non tolled backroad for that route is actually a very good road” or indeed other things that you may have thought of that I haven’t.

All pieces of information in relation the above will be greatly appreciated, no matter how small. Thank In Advance for all responses.

Potential Routes

Cherbourg To/From (cities)
Paris
Brest
Tours
Nantes
La Rochelle
Grenoble
Biarritz
Rodez
Carcassonne
Marseille
Nice

Cherbourg To/From (countries)
Belgium
Luxembourg
Germany
Switzerland
Italy
Spain

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Assuming that you are in the UK why are you considering going to Belgium, Luxembourg etc from Cherbourg?

Personally I would go to these countries via Dover to either Calais or Dunkerque. This would save £200 plus in ferry charges.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Motorways in France that charge a toll usually have a main trunk road running more or less parallel (never found one that doesn't have).

If there isn't an equivalent trunk road, then the motorway is free.

You could always just use the trunk roads instead.

Mappy.com will let you calculate toll costs and decide whether it's worth the money for the time saved:

mappy.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
My topical tip for reducing toll fees - don't use toll roads. You'll be able to achieve a pretty similar average speed without them - and it makes for a more interesting trip.

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I agree with thehutchies and TDH, use the national routes which run more or less parallel to the motorways. We use these all the time and they can be dual carriageway a lot of the time, much more interesting journey, easy to get off or stop at nice villages and you wont be hassled by the truck drivers who can sometimes tailgate or box you in

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
Fr. Crilly what type of Motorhome did you finally buy.?:Smile:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Motorways in France that charge a toll usually have a main trunk road running more or less parallel (never found one that doesn't have).

If there isn't an equivalent trunk road, then the motorway is free.

You could always just use the trunk roads instead.

Mappy.com will let you calculate toll costs and decide whether it's worth the money for the time saved:

mappy.com

Thanks, that is really useful, the way we go it costs just under 200 euro each way, for fuel and tolls. at 48 euro for tolls we dont think that is bad.

Ginny and Mike

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
France Toll Roads

There are more miles of non-toll motorways in France than toll roads. All the places mentioned have good roads to them, the only holdups are around the main towns etc, other than that the roads are relatively quiet, not like the UK.
Going through the villages and towns gives the feeling of the real France as opposed to the motorways where there is no hint of France.
Don't be afraid to 'get lost' in France its a beautiful place.
Ron W

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
When we go over we take and use the tom tom and the road maps its brilliant you can nearly always get lost but we are never in a hurry to get anywhere Just remember have fun:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I generally find the best toll free roads are the ones that do not run parallel with toll roads, because they are more likely to improve a toll free road where there is no nearby toll road alternative.

Also tend to use less fuel on the toll free roads because speeds are lower.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
The only time we use toll motorways is to get round large cities and often you will find that section is free. Otherwise RNs are just as good and offer the opportunity to turn off on a whim.

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Tolls

There are more miles of non-toll motorways in France than toll roads. All the places mentioned have good roads to them, the only holdups are around the main towns etc, other than that the roads are relatively quiet, not like the UK.
Going through the villages and towns gives the feeling of the real France as opposed to the motorways where there is no hint of France.
Don't be afraid to 'get lost' in France its a beautiful place.
Ron W

In 2007 went from Cherbourg to Frejus/St. Tropez/Cavalaire Sur Mer, etc and paid €100+ on way down and a little bit extra on the homeward journey on motorways (daylight robbery). Only good thing is that it got us down south very quickly, little over a day driving which was not bad. Some of the tolls were very busy (20 mins to get to the cashier, etc.) and if I remember right this was on a Sunday (normally a busy day on the roads everywhere, so try to avoid travelling on Sundays!)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
In 2007 went from Cherbourg to Frejus/St. Tropez/Cavalaire Sur Mer, etc and paid €100+ on way down and a little bit extra on the homeward journey on motorways (daylight robbery). Only good thing is that it got us down south very quickly, little over a day driving which was not bad. Some of the tolls were very busy (20 mins to get to the cashier, etc.) and if I remember right this was on a Sunday (normally a busy day on the roads everywhere, so try to avoid travelling on Sundays!)

But the good thing about travelling in france on a Sunday is no lorries as hgvs are supposed to be parked up.Well french ones are dont know about the ones from other countries

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
Hi All,

I’m planning a trip to France for the first time and I want to research the burden of French tolls beforehand. I have heard estimates of €100 to €200 to get from Cherbourg to the south of France (and the same back again).

While I will accept the fact that tolls are part of a French motorhome holiday, I would like to know if these costs can be significantly controlled. I’m sure a lot of my time will be spent on non-tolled back roads but I am also sure there will be times when I’ll want to get to places as quickly as possible. Below is a collection of routes where I envisage that this could potentially be the case.

Can I now ask experienced motorhomers if they come across any clever ways to reduce these costs. The kind of things I’m looking for include “this motorway route is a similar length but is more toll cost efficient than that one”, “the non tolled backroad for that route is actually a very good road” or indeed other things that you may have thought of that I haven’t.

All pieces of information in relation the above will be greatly appreciated, no matter how small. Thank In Advance for all responses.

Potential Routes

Cherbourg To/From (cities)
Paris
Brest
Tours
Nantes
La Rochelle
Grenoble
Biarritz
Rodez
Carcassonne
Marseille
Nice

Cherbourg To/From (countries)
Belgium
Luxembourg
Germany
Switzerland
Italy
Spain

HI
My wife and I go to the South Of France in our motorhome every year and mostly use the main roads,These usually run adjasent to the motorways.Sometimes we go onto a toll road,but have not found them to be that expensive.We are off again at the end of April to South Of France, for 12 weeks....the weather is far much better than at home.
regards
Mike and Ange

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Hi Mike

Me and the Mrs are off to the South of france on the 7th June for the first time.
I have bought a ACSI card to cover sites if we need any.
Can you reccomend any sites on the coast or any to avoid.

We plan to stop off at aires in Tours, Bergerac and Montpellier then make our way East along the coast.

nickhague

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
soothwestish
Funster No
Exp
extrav
toll charges

Hi, we just returned from Portugal via Cherbourg and used the peage to come up the west side of France, north of Bordeaux through to Rennes (where it becomes free) was 40 euros, however we have a chimney for the woodburner which triggered the + 3 metre tarrif, which would have been 58 euros, i argued the point at an information point, they reduced the tarrif from class 3 to class 2, dinner that night was courtesy of the peage ;)

like the other posts say i would use the N routes unless you need to be somewhere, somewhen, the peage is dull, but fast.

we had to make a vet appointment so the dog could be jabbed for the return crossing, point of note, dont use the vet at Montebourg nr Cherbourg he is a thief, he charged 50 euros for what elsewhere is 27.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back