Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
:help:Going from Calais to Koblenz(down the Rhine) end June/beginning July. Looking for info re sites/Stellplatz? Any advice on places to stay, prices, what to watch out for etc gratefully recvd. This will be our 1st m'home trip to Germany.
JohnM
:beer:

m taylor

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
lancs
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
11 years
:help:Going from Calais to Koblenz(down the Rhine) end June/beginning July. Looking for info re sites/Stellplatz? Any advice on places to stay, prices, what to watch out for etc gratefully recvd. This will be our 1st m'home trip to Germany.
JohnM
hi,dont know about the rhine,if you have time try the mosel,cochem is a nice place to visit,has a small camp site but not used it.zell is another with 2 stellplatz about 6 euro,s no electric,enkirch has a huge stellplatz with power has toilets and showers with a token from tourist info office,bernkastle is another good place with 2 possible stellplatz,our favourite is klusserath,if you travel toward cochem on the motorway leave it at junction 7 head toward polch,there is the factory which produces the arto,flair,clou liner and hymer liner,it has a small stellplatz which is free,also a motorhome dealership nearby where you could pick up a board atlas for stellpltz and aires for most of europe,hope this helps:thumb:

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We will be going to Germany in June and have bought the Bord Atlas which lists all the Stelplatze sites.
It costs over £20 but it looks worth the money.
I believe that Vicarious Books sell it as well.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeffersonCampervan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2008
Toronto
Funster No
MH
semi-integral & Integral
Exp
Since 1990
JohnM

If you are only going as far south as Koblenz, you are missing the best part, which lies from Koblenz south to to Bingen (take hiway 9 on the south & west bank). Bacharach is my preferred stellplatz on this stretch. If it is full, there is a parking lot just north that has motorhome overnight tix as well (pics of my RV at this site on my website at http://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/2009page3.html - scroll about halfway down- map at bottom covers this area as well). And the Camping Sonnenstrand is very nice as well. All 3 right on the Rhine & walking distance to the town.

Just north of Kolblenz there is a stellplatz at Andernach, right on the Rhine. I checked it out this past summer, but did not stay there. Looked fine.

http://meinwomo.net/stellplaetze/deutschland/andernach/

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
JohnM

Don't miss Boppard whatever you do ! Never visited by MH but a magnificent tourist trap.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't miss Boppard whatever you do ! Never visited by MH but a magnificent tourist trap.

PS
I've just been wandering on Google Earth - 4 miles down stream on the same side as Boppard is a good looking campsite. No idea what it is but if we are passing I'd certainly go for a couple of nights there.

PPS
Just spotted the name: Campingplatz Sonneneck
http://www.sonneneck-camping.de/campingpark.html

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I thought of going down the Rhine but my MH doesn't float :ROFLMAO:

Oh you are a one !

I've often watched cars going neck and next down it.

On one of these.......

Attachments

• Boppard1.jpg
    Boppard1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Boppard2.jpg
    Boppard2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 24
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Camping Sonneneck is just a cycle away from Boppard and as Brian says well worth a visit. I believe the bus stops outside the campsite. Stayed there two years ago. Camping Lorely Blick in St Goar is a must for us - lovely site right on the Rhine just outside St Goar. (They send me a birthday card each year:winky:)

There is a nice site in Koblenz right where the Rhine and Mosel meet campingplatz rhine - mosel. A boat runs from the campsite across the water but again only a cycle ride from the city.

There are many stellaplatz on both the Rhine and Mosel. Enjoy the trip one of our favourites and we will probably end up along the Rhine again this year.

Sonja

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
rhine

hiya, ignore nearly retired i think he did try it, but the waters got in,, poor dear,,, the rhine, only one answer, forget top bit, get the river on your left and go, loads of stops, lots of verycheap campsites as well, basic, but fine, well it is germany after all, dont try and do to much, so many wonderfull places to stop and explore, the railway is mostly on your right, you may not always see them, but loads of great little and not so little towns, hilldweller says baccharach, dont miss it,, but BEWARE, the little bridges in to towns are sometimes NOT as high as stated, and they AINT very high to start with,, we never check, we just go, NEXT,BIG DANGER GOAR/lorerley , a bakers that only sells struddle, forget apple,, rhubarb /gooseberry,, cherry / plum, you name it they make it,, one overnight = extra 60lds on axel weights,, , when you think you have had enough,,,,,,, turn round and go back and see all the places you missed,, biggest bonus,,, very little miles , great rest area ,,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Camping Sonneneck is just a cycle away from Boppard and as Brian says well worth a visit. I believe the bus stops outside the campsite. Stayed there two years ago. Camping Lorely Blick in St Goar is a must for us - lovely site right on the Rhine just outside St Goar. (They send me a birthday card each year:winky:)

There is a nice site in Koblenz right where the Rhine and Mosel meet campingplatz rhine - mosel. A boat runs from the campsite across the water but again only a cycle ride from the city.

There are many stellaplatz on both the Rhine and Mosel. Enjoy the trip one of our favourites and we will probably end up along the Rhine again this year.

Sonja

I went to the campingplatz at Koblenz in December and it was closed it looked like a building site.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Thats a shame Hogan it was a nice site. Its only open April - October maybe they were having some work done? Its not a Stellaplatz but a proper camping site.

See link Link Removed

Sonja

captmike

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Cambs & S. Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're planning to visit the Mosel towns & villages and possibly the Rhein ones too for the first time in early summer. Can anyone tell me generally how far the stellplätze are from the towns? Walking distance? Or do we need bikes?

At the moment we don't have them but tow a Fiat Seicento. However will a car be welcome on a stellplatz as it would be taking up an extra space? I'd actually prefer not to take it if the roads are narrow and hilly. What do other people do?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mike

m taylor

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
lancs
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
11 years
most stellplatz are at towns or villages,plenty of cycle routes,tow cars are generally not a problem,the dutch are now using them also.the police are tolerant of them although a friend did get stopped and asked to remove it, i'm presuming you tow with an A-frame

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
rhine

hi
we usually start at saarburg on the river saar (loverly stellplatze 6 euro a night, electric 50 cents a kw)
saarburg is a loverly town loads of pavement cafes, and a interesting river and water fall in the centre. aldi just up the road from the stelplatze.
it's then a short hop up to trier (big stellplatze there).
then meander along the mosel cochem is nice, stellplatze all along the mosel up to koblentze,
then turn right down the rhine.
stopped on sonnoneck, toilets are interesting.
but as has been stated stellplatze all the way down.
a few campsites in the acsi book down the mosel and rhine.
enjoy it's beutifull down there.
the trains can be a bugger sounding their horns in the middle of the night

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back