Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi been reading the threads for the last couple of months and what a great forum for information and chat.
Only been motorhoming for the past 12 months seriously and this is my first post we are thinking of going to france at easter for a couple of weeks thought we would go out of season when its a little quiter on the camps etc with it been our first time.
We are going with our 2 boys age 4 and 10, i was thinking of going from dover to calais then on to Disney Land Paris for a couple of days (any advice on where to stay or can i stay in the carpark is it safe) and then making our way down to the south coast around Nice spreading the travelling over a couple of days and then spending 5 or 6 days in the south before heading back north for the ferry home.
Does this seem too adventerous for our first time, is it too much to cram in in 2 weeks,would we be better just going for a week and staying north just to get a feel for france. as i have never been to france before and never driven in france.
do we need to book sites on the med or will we just be able too turn up.
We are thinking of using there Aires and campsites as we find them on the way down rather than booking sites gives us a little more freedomi have bought the France aires book and the ACSI card.
Sorry so many questions but this is our first adventure out of britain and we are a little nervous but cant wait seems more like an adventure rather than an holiday great!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ged
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
One piece of advice: Don't do it!
(we have 4 kids, so have some experience :RollEyes: )

That's a huge amount of driving, unless your kids really love being strapped in their seats for hours on end.
About 300 miles down to Dover.
150 miles to Paris.
600 miles to Nice.
And back again.

That's half your holiday gone just watching trees go by at speed.

It might be better to just concentrate on the Disney part for your first trip, maybe spending a week or two just visiting a few places in the North.

We went for three months a few years ago and it still wasn't long enough. :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Ged

I agree with thehutchies, France is a big country and distances deceiving ..

We have also spent many months in France and have yet to see a fraction .. The North has much to offer, is generally quieter and has some great places to visit ...

Buy a copy of the French Aires de service, it will be invaluable, there are thousands of safe and cheap aires to visit..

you can also look on line at http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm get a 'feel' for how they are listed, you will soon pick up the French used to describe them.. they also have the GPS locations , a sat nav makes finding them a doddle ..

This a Google map of ones we have used, all safe and worth a visit ..
Click Here

The motorhome car park at Disney is safe and right next to the main Disney entrance, no facilities so have your fresh tank full on arrival .. not cheap at 15 euro per night but it's very convenient. see location with GPS on the Google map.

Make the trip after Disney a holiday rather than a race to get anywhere, plan to drive only a few hours each day, stay off the autoroutes and see many small and interesting villages.. stop and soak up the French atmosphere.. have a great trip..

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
:welcomefunster:Welcome to the forum Mizar.
We are going to travel around Brittany from early June till at least mid July and are intending to use the Aires, with possibly a couple of sites for laundry etc. We are planning to make short hops between aires, so that we minimise the daily driving and maximise the amount of time for exploring etc.
If you do a search for Disney Paris, you will find information regarding the parking etc. Some funsters were there at the New Year. :Smile:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
new year

we..

robinmclaren
terry c
errpaul
davidejm

were there new year , thread is " disney paris new year " , some pics on terry c and my pictures

would agree and make disney the holiday but take time through villages on way there and back and enjoy them
get annual passes for disney and have 10 days there , this includes parking charges , take a day out and get train to paris
have a great time and enjoy

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi been reading the threads for the last couple of months and what a great forum for information and chat.
Only been motorhoming for the past 12 months seriously and this is my first post we are thinking of going to france at easter for a couple of weeks thought we would go out of season when its a little quiter on the camps etc with it been our first time.
We are going with our 2 boys age 4 and 10, i was thinking of going from dover to calais then on to Disney Land Paris for a couple of days (any advice on where to stay or can i stay in the carpark is it safe) and then making our way down to the south coast around Nice spreading the travelling over a couple of days and then spending 5 or 6 days in the south before heading back north for the ferry home.
Does this seem too adventerous for our first time, is it too much to cram in in 2 weeks,would we be better just going for a week and staying north just to get a feel for france. as i have never been to france before and never driven in france.
We are thinking of using there Aires and campsites as we find them on the way down rather than booking sites gives us a little more freedomi have bought the France aires book and the ACSI card.
Sorry so many questions but this is our first adventure out of britain and we are a little nervous but cant wait seems more like an adventure rather than an holiday great!!!

Ged

The two previous replies are spot on...Do your Disney land.... then use the aires and work your way around North to Middle Middle to North for the first time......only problem would be the weather may not be hot and sunny at that time of the year....keep your water topped up .enjoy your Holiday
Mel

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Agree with the above posts, the first time we went to France we seriously underestimated the size of the country and spent days driving. Not a holiday. Treat France as a long term project and do a bit at a time. We've been going for over 20 years and still have to get to the south-west corner.

Enjoy France.

Bill

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Everyone's said it. Too much, too short a time.
There's only the two of us and if we were planning a trip like you've suggested we would take about a month over it (and not limit ourselves to Nice). There's more than enough in and around Paris alone to occupy you for a couple of weeks, let alone Brittany, Rouen, Bayeux... the list can be very long.

If you intend to use Aires you won't need to book anything (Disney excepted I should think - don't know about that).

Whatever you finally decide have fun. limit you travel to, say 150 - 200 miles a day and give the kids a chance to let off steam at regular intervals during the day. Why not split the trip down to Dover into two days, stopping off at, say Stratford or Oxford for a night. Just a thought.

John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does this seem too adventerous for our first time,
Ged

You know the answer now :Smile:

I'd suggest Paris to La Baule/ St Nazair. Possibly the nicest beach in France and a much more manageable distance - though even this is quite a long way back to Calais.

Don't expect too much from the weather.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Were in the same boat, first trip to France in the MH. Were going to turn right out of CALAIS and drive south.

We have absolutley no intention of rushing anwhere and I will not under any circumstances drive on consecutive days.

We have no idea where we are going and are looking forward to taking this very, very relaxed approach.

This is the first time I have ever really looked at the map of France and I'm amazed at how large and diverse the country is. Were looking forward to experiencing the French culture and way of life and its as much a journy of dicovery as it is a holiday.

We may very well get stuck with nowhere to stop for the night but wherever we are thats were we will kip.

Jim
:Smile:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
to much

Hi and wellcome, all said, all good info, but may i put another bit on, we took 2 special needs children 11 and 9, calais disney first, but unuseual for us booked in to Berney Riviere , a campsite near Scioosions or close, iff you want it exact get back to me will give better details, this site is about 2.5 hours from calais, great for children, we got coach from site next day, about 40 mn journey, next day on site, boating lake , everything, day 3 went to pieerfonds chateau, 20 mns away setting for b b c Merlin , sets still left, kids love it, stayed in village by lake, free, then country side to brugge, wild camp on way, lots for energetic children and not loads of driving, ostend, big boats, then Ypres 8 pm they close the road for service on menin gate bridge, town is nice, then dunkirk , you want a sandy beach,, this is it,, go via norfolk line , job done, you will have had a bit of everything, sites, sights, food. fun happy kids, and not a lot of stress ,, just ask, me or another know it all will soon tell you,,, travel well,, remember in a motorhome you are never on the wrong road, just not the one you thought you were on,, good luck ,, oh ye dont forget to wave:thumb::thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is the first time I have ever really looked at the map of France and I'm amazed at how large and diverse the country is. Were looking forward to experiencing the French culture and way of life and its as much a journy of dicovery as it is a holiday.

We may very well get stuck with nowhere to stop for the night but wherever we are thats were we will kip.

Jim

A map does not do it justice, France is BIG.

Just for a bit of FUN I used the Autoroute measure. A stright line Calais to Nice is 561 miles, so I drew the same distance from Dover, it just and only just stayed inside the tip of Scotland. How many people in Dover would ever say "I'll just drive to the tip of Scotland" ?

You are very unlikely to get stuck with nowhere to camp, it seems most reasonable sized towns have municipal campings that are cheap and good and may have a free aire next to them. Just keep your eyes open for the signs.

Make sure have ACSI at least.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
What they all said!

Our first trip to France in The Rosabella meant a drive from Hereford to Le Mans in 36 hours, and it creased us. We had a pretty tight schedule thereafter as well but have twigged on subsequent trips that around 150 - 170 miles a day is about right for us, including stops for coffee, lunch, moochng and suchlike - The Rosabella is getting on a bit, noisy and not particularly relaxing to drive and I guess with somethng a bit younger it may be different.

But do it - it's a great adventure, wherever you go in France. I lived in northern France, on the Cotentin peninsular and just that bit between Cherbourg and Granville is lovely, as is the countryside to the East of that area, let alone going round the corner to Brittany Have a great time!.

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
A map does not do it justice, France is BIG.

Just for a bit of FUN I used the Autoroute measure. A stright line Calais to Nice is 561 miles, so I drew the same distance from Dover, it just and only just stayed inside the tip of Scotland. How many people in Dover would ever say "I'll just drive to the tip of Scotland" ?

You are very unlikely to get stuck with nowhere to camp, it seems most reasonable sized towns have municipal campings that are cheap and good and may have a free aire next to them. Just keep your eyes open for the signs.

Make sure have ACSI at least.

Cheers Brian, I have the ACSI card and will get the CCI card free from the C&CC, I wasnt going to buy the all the aries guide but after looking at the comments on the forum I think I will.

Cheers
Jim

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Were in the same boat, first trip to France in the MH. Were going to turn right out of CALAIS and drive south.

We have absolutley no intention of rushing anwhere and I will not under any circumstances drive on consecutive days.

We have no idea where we are going and are looking forward to taking this very, very relaxed approach.

Jim

Jim...to quote you ..."We may very well get stuck with nowhere to stop for the night " Mmm you will be amazed there are so many aires....and reading your reply, you are a man that intends to enjoy himself over here and not spend all your days and time driving good luck to you, ....hope you get good weather and I am sure you will enjoy yourselves and be back....
Mel........may well see you over here, don't forget to say Hello

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
What they all said!

Our first trip to France in The Rosabella meant a drive from Hereford to Le Mans in 36 hours, and it creased us. We had a pretty tight schedule thereafter as well but have twigged on subsequent trips that around 150 - 170 miles a day is about right for us, including stops for coffee, lunch, moochng and suchlike - The Rosabella is getting on a bit, noisy and not particularly relaxing to drive and I guess with somethng a bit younger it may be different.

But do it - it's a great adventure, wherever you go in France. I lived in northern France, on the Cotentin peninsular and just that bit between Cherbourg and Granville is lovely, as is the countryside to the East of that area, let alone going round the corner to Brittany Have a great time!.

TDH ..we also live over here.... and running a new vehicle... but we only travel 100 to 150 km per day like you, but a lot of the times it may only 20, 30 40 or 50 km there is so much to see i agree with you.
enjoy
Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cheers Brian, I have the ACSI card and will get the CCI card free from the C&CC, I wasnt going to buy the all the aries guide but after looking at the comments on the forum I think I will.

Cheers
Jim

Jim "All the AIRES in France" IS A MUST we swear by it and use it 90% of the time there is also another Aires book if funds would run to it, it is what the french use ( all be it being in French) you can still understand it and it has cords long & Lat its called "LE guide national des AIRES de services camping - cars" ....it is a white book the same size as "all the AIRES book", and they come out each year but are bought up very very quickly there are to do with campingcar magazine over here called ...Le Monde du Camping -Cars....both these books are sold at Vacarious books in the uk:thumb::thumb:...if you are wanting luxury sites club rooms showers washine machines and all the extras do what Brian has said ACSI .....OK......if not....what I am saying we purchased them two years running and have never used one yet so for us it had been a waste of money...but we are going to buy again this year as in a few days we are off to Portugal so we may use them there and of coarse the are a back up.

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Thanks to everyone for the feed back and i have taken it all on board and its back to the drawing board i will take in paris and stick to 100 or so miles a day in northern france and enjoy what that as to offer and do southern france later at some point.

once again thanks everyone:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks to everyone for the feed back and i have taken it all on board and its back to the drawing board i will take in paris and stick to 100 or so miles a day in northern france and enjoy what that as to offer and do southern france later at some point.

Mizar..... you could always sneak another holiday this year maybe 2 3 or even 4 weeks and go further south.....we live in northern France and when we go down south we make it a month......other wise you would have to travel motorways and tolls roads to get there quickly .....and then are you seeing France to the best are missing out some of the best parts of France ???:thumb:

Mel

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Jim...to quote you ..."We may very well get stuck with nowhere to stop for the night " Mmm you will be amazed there are so many aires....and reading your reply, you are a man that intends to enjoy himself over here and not spend all your days and time driving good luck to you, ....hope you get good weather and I am sure you will enjoy yourselves and be back....
Mel........may well see you over here, don't forget to say Hello

And it's not just Aires is it? I think that, of the 25 days we spent in France last year we probably only used sites or Aires for 7 or 8 of them. The attitude in France is so relaxed that, providing you do it with respect and consideration, you will be able to find loads of places for overnights.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Last year was our first trip

Hi there,
go for it, just don't go for as much!
You are talking about a fair bit of driving, do you want to go on holidays or spend two weeks driving?
We travelled around some ww1 sites, then to the Loire valley for a hot air balloon flight and we thought this was more than enough driving - and I enjoy driving.
We too used the All the Aires and the ASCI card- paid for itself. However we mainly used Aires and discovered some lovely Aires also that were not in the book. Just look out for the signs - an advantage for not always travelling on the excellent motorways. In my opinion, don't bother booking any sites, just go where and when as you get the notion, there are Aires everywhere.
The roads are so much less populated than the UK and towns/villages are generally welcoming.
Disney is brill - your kids should enjoy it too!
Have a nice trip

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Agree with the above posts, the first time we went to France we seriously underestimated the size of the country and spent days driving. Not a holiday. Treat France as a long term project and do a bit at a time. We've been going for over 20 years and still have to get to the south-west corner.

Enjoy France.

Bill

Totally agree with Bill, we started the year before last and never get as far as we intend to go. We are going back to the Loire Valley in June to see the bits we drove through the first time we went. We use France Passion as well as the Aires and campsites. Last year we planned to go to the Rhone Valley in June but got as far a Champagne, then in Aug/Sep we planned to go to Cote D'Azur but got as far as the Rhone Valley! This year we are going 3 times hopefully, and we may get to the South where Mrs Colpots Sister has just bought an apartment.:Smile:

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a

I think this is the correct decision you will enjoy it all then, I think to do what you first suggested and properly absorb what’s on offer would take you years

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
The only other thought that crosses my mind is that having two young children with you, staying at aires may not be suitable. (Willing to be corrrected here if need be ;-)

A campsite should be more secure, well at least give you piece of mind, and have play areas and areas that can be explored reletivly safely, Aires may not give this peice of mind.

I suppose it depends if you want to bring the kids back of course ::bigsmile:

Rgds

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The only other thought that crosses my mind is that having two young children with you, staying at aires may not be suitable. (Willing to be corrrected here if need be ;-)

A campsite should be more secure, well at least give you piece of mind, and have play areas and areas that can be explored reletivly safely, Aires may not give this peice of mind.

I suppose it depends if you want to bring the kids back of course ::bigsmile:

Rgds

I wouldn't assume that an aire was a safe place for my kids to play.
I wouldn't assume that a campsite was a safe place for my kids to play.

However, I could give you a list of aires at which my kids have had a great time! :thumb:

alan1949

Free Member
Sep 11, 2009
Funster No
re france trip.

ive been disney safe in camper park. cheep too. theres a shower block etc on site.
the other guys are right about traveling down to nice long way. why not joint round
calais and surrounding area get the feel of the place.some nice sites up and down coast.
dont know what time ya going but if its later ferry pull in ferry carpark in departures in calais free and a couple of days if need be. hope any of this makes sense good hunting.:Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Ged

Hi Ged,
Nearly missed this. Hello welcome to the fun.
Well , we've a lot in common !!
Apart from the Mizar GTL living , were from the same neck of the woods.
We've got kids , 3 of them.
2 boys 13/15 and a 13 year old girl. We are also going to France with the MH , first time in July.
Leaving the 2 dogs at home and taking the bikes.
We are getting the ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff. It wasn't the cheapest crossing ( £660 , paid £20 deposit so not set in stone yet.) but it cut out lots of driving at the other side .
We shall be returning to the UK from St Malo ( think thats right!)
Ralph did an old stone barn conversion in Brittany when he was younger ( hes a builder) and wants to return to the area.
So we will do the coast then inland up to St Malo n home.
We've never used Aires before , but plan on doing so, with the odd campsite thrown in . We've always kept a watchful eye on the kids where ever we go.
In fact even with our regular rally group I'm never complacent.
Our kids are older but they've always traveled well .
I certainly wont rule out going further South in the future , but for a 1st attempt we are sticking Up North:thumb:
Where abouts are you from ? We are near Wakefield.

Bev

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi Bev

We are in Cleckheaton so not to far from you at all we have made our mind up know i think, we are going at easter a couple of days at Disney and then stay north maybe go round normandy area and get a feel for france.
Then if everything goes ok and we enjoy it we are going back in July for 2 weeks been looking at the ferries to st Malo like the idea of the overnight ferry thats gets you to france early morning, sleep on board then nice and fresh for the day but like you say not the cheapest.

I have only been to france once which was for work (i am an electrician)and that was in the centre of Paris and i flew not drove.

I am a little nervous with the aires with the kids has someone else mentioned cant really let them run around and play so going to stick to sites where poss and just use aires if we get stuck or tired.

How long have you had your Mizar and are you happy with it we are made up with ours we looked at hundreds but the layout fits our bill 100% no beds to make up large lounge area and separate kitchen area.

Hope you enjoy your trip to france and happy travelling.

Ged

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am a little nervous with the aires with the kids has someone else mentioned cant really let them run around and play so going to stick to sites where poss and just use aires if we get stuck or tired.

Ged

Hi ..

some aires are little more than car parks, only good for an over night stop but there are hundreds of aires that are fabulous, some beside the beach, others by lakes and rivers .. we spent 8 months on aires touring france with the kids.. have a look at these pics of just a few of the great aires we have visited ..
I gave you a link in my first post to the locations..

You won't find many French vans in camp sites, :winky:

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back