Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Nr Swansea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1 year
My 07 Bessacar E795 has gone back to the factory for repair to a leak at the rear where the roof panel meets the rear upright panel. One of the seat bases was stained and some mould appeared on some of the woodwork.:cry:
I was wondering what sort of quality I of workmanship I could expect from a factory repair because to be honest I am not very impressed with the quality of some of the original workmanship on the van such as fitting of hardwear to cabinets, and finishing of sealer around windows and where panels meet. I am surprised by this in a van of this sort of value, thank goodness I am the second owner with the first having taken the big hit in value.:roflmto:
This is my first van having had a caravan a couple of years ago and the last 8 months or so of ownership has been a steep learning curve.
Hopefully if and when I get it back we'll get more use out of it this year than the last.:thumb:

Regards

PeteV

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was wondering what sort of quality I of workmanship I could expect from a factory repair
PeteV

The customer is always right.

If it turns nasty I would think the law would expect it to be the same as an 07 that had been built properly and had two years fair wear.

Be polite and firm and insist on this.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi
I have a b/carr e765s since new 08 Model and it was the quality of the van that stood out and to date i am very pleased indeed the only fault i had was with the tv (Autosound) it was back to the Fac via my local dealer on 3 occassions it is still faulty and they refuse to repair it because it is now out of Warranty i would make a sugestion that Swift should leave out all these add ons and let the owner fit what he deems to be a good product.Also i have been very lucky as the local dealer who sold me the M/H (Knowpark Caravans)have given me nothing but the best of service hence the reason they have been awarded many awards via the Industry

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My Swift has been good though the Autosound TV is less than perfect. I agree that they should leave out these options and give the customer a cash allowance for whatever extras they want.

Bill

Deleted User
Our 1st motorhome was a swift sundance, we also had water ingress after only 2 years. Not major just from a badley fitted locker but looking underneath I could see where the floor underneath along the back was discoloured by water. I was not impressed by the workmanship at all on the swift and would not buy another one.

spongy

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi
I Supose that at the end of the day it realy depends on a bit of luck as to the type of day that the Eng have had at the Manafactures.PS My Friend purchased a Rapido some 3 years ago and has had it back on several occasions from faulty equipment to water ingress it is a 07 Model and is Desperate to pass it on

Bill

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Our 1st motorhome was a swift sundance, we also had water ingress after only 2 years. Not major just from a badley fitted locker but looking underneath I could see where the floor underneath along the back was discoloured by water. I was not impressed by the workmanship at all on the swift and would not buy another one.

spongy

Must say we had a similar experience only ours was not so old.

Ours was subject to a recall for water ingress in luton. Swift collected the motorhome and took back to factory, they then expected us to collect from the factory at our expense, with no extension to the warranty to cover the repair. We complained to the dealer and they offered a good part exchange which we took. I have never looked at Swift again, and never will.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Swift in my book bend over backwards to rectify faults and the factory rectifications are first class.

As regards collection from the factory being mandatory, in our experience it is not, the van is collected from us by Swift on a transporter and then returned to us once the work has been completed.

There is an advantage for the owner to collect the van from them so that he can inspect the van and any 'niggles' can be sorted on the spot. A visit is also interesting as one can also see other aspects of the factory.

Whilst I would be the first to agree that rectifications should not be neccessary in the first place, these things do happen and Swift unlike many other converters do not hide away from the retail purchaser and are very open ond helpfull on many forums.

Peter

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I Totaly agree the service i have rec from the dealer as well as the Manafaturer have been 100% which is probaly why they have the largest market share in the uk.

Bill:thumb:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We had to return our Bessecar to the factory last year because of an insulation problem, they were really helpful the van was collected from our local dealer and we were offered the option of collecting it ourselves from the factory which we declined, because of the distance, and they happily returned it to the dealer. Whilst at the factory they checked the van over for us and also added some minor modifications, a catch on the bathroom door and a fix to hold the cushions in place behind the seatbelts, all done free and without being asked. We found them really helpful all the way through

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
We had to return our Bessecar to the factory last year because of an insulation problem, they were really helpful the van was collected from our local dealer and we were offered the option of collecting it ourselves from the factory which we declined, because of the distance, and they happily returned it to the dealer. Whilst at the factory they checked the van over for us and also added some minor modifications, a catch on the bathroom door and a fix to hold the cushions in place behind the seatbelts, all done free and without being asked. We found them really helpful all the way through

Was your Inslation problem with the Luton as i exp some condensation from the speakers The problem was no Insulatin in the gap b/tween the outer and inner skin on the pod i must admit this hapened last year at Bunree in the winter and it was Min 12 deg Ins fited and is perfect as we were away over dec 09 in the north and had no problems

Bill

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi
I Supose that at the end of the day it realy depends on a bit of luck as to the type of day that the Eng have had at the Manafactures.PS My Friend purchased a Rapido some 3 years ago and has had it back on several occasions from faulty equipment to water ingress it is a 07 Model and is Desperate to pass it on

Bill

I am sorry, but if a manufacturer expects someone to pay between 30 and £65000 for a van I dont think luck should enter into it

I bought my Frankia because the manufacturer has a good reputation for quality and when I looked at the van I could see the quality of the build was very good. I have not heard a Frankia purchaser say "at the end of the day it depends on luck" whether I get a good one.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Was your Inslation problem with the Luton as i exp some condensation from the speakers The problem was no Insulatin in the gap b/tween the outer and inner skin on the pod i must admit this hapened last year at Bunree in the winter and it was Min 12 deg Ins fited and is perfect as we were away over dec 09 in the north and had no problems

Bill

Yes we had Niagra Falls through the speakers after spending Christmas 08 at Disneyland, we went to Marquis and they said it was a known problem and arranged for Swift to repair it, we have had no problem since

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi
From reading the forums all I can say is that when ever people complain about workmanship or quality issues regarding Swifts, They all ways seem to rectify the faults very quickly and never hide like some dealers or manufacturers.

Only my opinion, I have never owned a swift but read plenty on them. Good luck with the repair.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I am sorry, but if a manufacturer expects someone to pay between 30 and £65000 for a van I dont think luck should enter into it

I bought my Frankia because the manufacturer has a good reputation for quality and when I looked at the van I could see the quality of the build was very good. I have not heard a Frankia purchaser say "at the end of the day it depends on luck" whether I get a good one.

Well done as i said this is my 2nd swift home and i have had no problems with them there is always the odd one that slips through when i was caravaning on the basis of quality i purchased the best(Van Royce) i had water ingress via one window and had to go back there is nothing that is 100%perfect even a Frankia:::::ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Well done as i said this is my 2nd swift home and i have had no problems with them there is always the odd one that slips through when i was caravaning on the basis of quality i purchased the best(Van Royce) i had water ingress via one window and had to go back there is nothing that is 100%perfect even a Frankia:::::ROFLMAO:

I didn't say that they were perfect. I said that they had a good reputation, and people dont buy them and say "at the end of the day it depends on luck" :Doh:They expect a pruduct that is complete and working.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I didn't say that they were perfect. I said that they had a good reputation, and people dont buy them and say "at the end of the day it depends on luck" :Doh:They expect a pruduct that is complete and working.
i would sugest you visit the forum on your Frankia where you will find a few sour reports:ROFLMAO:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
i would sugest you visit the forum on your Frankia where you will find a few sour reports:ROFLMAO:

Just did an experiment and googled Frankia motorhome problems and also Googled Swift motorhome problems.

Try it yourself but you know the answer. But the nearest match to the Frankia search was No problem:ROFLMAO:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Just did an experiment and googled Frankia motorhome problems and also Googled Swift motorhome problems.

Try it yourself but you know the answer. But the nearest match to the Frankia search was No problem:ROFLMAO:

You dident try hard any way get a life i am wathching the football:thumb:

retired rovers

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
bridlington e.yorks
Funster No
MH
bessacar
Exp
6 years
swift bessacar 765

hi pete i purchased new as above found 30 plus faults including rust to alluminium skirts and cracks in roof got messed about by agent took van to swift after getting annoyed with them they had the van for five weeks and sorted advised faults however the van came out of swift with three new faults :ROFLMAO:at with point igave up too much hassel and agrevation cost too high quality not good good luck steve:thumb:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
hi pete i purchased new as above found 30 plus faults including rust to alluminium skirts and cracks in roof got messed about by agent took van to swift after getting annoyed with them they had the van for five weeks and sorted advised faults however the van came out of swift with three new faults :ROFLMAO:at with point igave up too much hassel and agrevation cost too high quality not good good luck steve:thumb:

Did the two of you go to the same scholl claiming mines is best:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We had a single prob which the dealer had found, cosmetic and we had a ferry booked LOL so we took it with that caveat. Swift rectified it from the notification by the dealer. We did nothing except return it to the dealer on agreed date. Collected it back from Swift. We drove up to collect it. They'd found 2 other probs while it was there and they'd rectified them too. We also mentioned 2 minor niggles on pick up, so they sorted them immediately as well.

They paid expenses for the mileage done in both vehicles.

We are happy!!!!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Maybe one of the reasons Swift are so good at repairs is they have had years of practice the end user should not be Swifts quality inspector,bring it back when you find all the faults and we will try and sort it out is where the car industry was in the 70s.I know this post will not go down well with some but you cannot argue with the facts

OP
OP
petev

petev

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Nr Swansea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1 year
Thanks for the replies guys:thumb: Gives me something to think about. I must say trading in for another model has crossed my mind particularly if I am not satisfied with the quality of the repair even if the water ingress problem is sorted. Having got to know the van after buying it the workmanship in a few places is somewhat apprentice-like(no offence intended to apprentices:winky:)for what afterall was a pricey van when new.
Hopefully they'll do a good job, and it won't be an issue.
I am unable to collect the van from the factory much as I would like to so they will have to return it to the dealer for me. Won't tell them till they let me know it's done though in case they do a shoddy job and send it back anyway as the warranty will run out in March.

Caio for now

Pete:thumb:

Wall-E

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
Funster No
TV Repair.

Hi Bailey,
TV,Out of Warranty I don't think so!!, Under the sale of goods act you are covered for SIX years, (Scotland FIVE years), providing you have not damaged it in any way.
I would visit your local Trading Standards Office or Citizen's Advice Bureau office and ask them to write you a letter and threaten them with action in the Small Claims Court if the TV is not repaired or replaced to your satisfaction . No one would buy a TV if told at the time of purchase, Oh by the way, it will only last you 12 months. It is what is perceived as being reasonable that counts. Don't just accept it, Complain!!.
Wall-E.

Ikonos74

Free Member
May 31, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2010
Hoping someone can help me, I am a swift 2007 630g motorhome, at the weekend I noticed water coming through the lights above the seating area, I searched the internet to find that this was a problem in the luton area, I phoned swift who advised that i contacted a dealer to look at this, but only to be asked by the dealer is swift covering the cost and did i buy the van from the dealer, as i replied no I did not buy the van from them, they advised that they could not help me as loyalty was to their own customers and they were fully booked anyway till end of season. so i proceeded to phone swift back and they advised they cannot force the dealer to look at my van and I was to find another dealer further south (i stay in scotland) or have it looked at myself and pay for it myself, I now have a van which i cannot use, as i cannot put my kids on bed above cab due to water and possible bacteria, does anyone have an email address i.e. peter stewart that i could email.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back