Condensation in the morning (1 Viewer)

val-h

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
I was looking at the 'Sleeping in the over cab bed' thread and was wondering if there might be a condensation problem in the confined space.

We currently have a van conversion and find that when we change the bed back to seating, there is often condensation under the cushions that needs to be mopped up and aired.

Does this happen in the bigger coach builds, especially in the over cab bed?

We are currently looking around for a bigger van and thought the oc bed would be great because we wouldn't need to pack it away every morning. But if there are condensation issues we'll still need to lift and air the mattress and bedding, which kind of defeats the whole object of it.

Val.

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Condensation

I have only slept in ours once. It was minus 4 - 5 outside and six inches of snow on the ground (our maiden voyage). Two kids, myself, the prersent Mrs. Dave and the dog (Chocolate Lab) in the van. Yes there was a lot of condensation in the morning. Didn't notice it until the morning of day three, the duvet was all wet at the bottom. Didn't cause us a problem. Doubt whether it would be so much of a problem in nicer weather and a bit of air can get in.

Since then, we have taken all the cushions out, opened all the doors etc. to give it a good airing.

On the up side we found the bed (at the top of the ladder), very comfortable and warm, one of the best nights sleep i've had.

Dave

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Once in over cab bed had problems, but made a slatted base to get air under mattress, no further problems.

There are foam like underlays that stop this have seen advertised some time ago, but they were expensive. Think they were mainly for boats.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our van has an opening widow on both sides.. I cannot sleep anywhere unless a window is open a crack so maybe that is why we have never had a problem with condensation

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Once in over cab bed had problems, but made a slatted base to get air under mattress, no further problems.

There are foam like underlays that stop this have seen advertised some time ago, but they were expensive. Think they were mainly for boats.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

We noticed 2 days in to the -2 plus temps over the new year.
Only at the front of the cab, not the sides.
It didn't do it long enough to spoil the mattress as i noticed it when i woke up , reaching for a drink.
To get round the problem Ralph bought some laminate floor underlay . Bought from any DIY place in wide lengths. He put it under the bed and up all the sides.
The mattress on the MH was not marked or stained in anyway when we bought it, it was one of the things we checked for before buying it. So we were putting it down to the freezing temps outside against the red hot temp inside.
We have eventually got the hang of the webasto heating now.
No more waking up gasping for a drink!!::bigsmile:
Bev
Weve got opening windows to all sides but didnt have any on vent with it bieng so cold

Last edited:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Most modern MH's feature double glazing in all the windows, so condensation is not usually a problem.

With some van conversions, and older MH's, the glazing is NOT designed specifically for motorhomes, ie single perspex or safety glass, without the benefit of an air gap.

This causes a lot of condensation on all shiny surfaces inside the van, and this condensation can settle below the mattresses where the air is coldest. The only answer is internal silver screens on any single glazed windows. There will still be a certain amount of condensation, but most stays between the glass and the 'silver screen'.

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Same as Doug said never had problems with condensation in the over cab bed.
Our van is a 04 plate and has double glazing on each window, top and tail.
Father and mother inlaw spent a week in it and only complained it was to hot.

We could hear them both giggling on a night behind the closed curtain like teenagers, glad i put the corner supports down.
i dread to think!:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just a thought....this could be another use for the bread trays !!!!

lay bread trays, upside down, under the mattress to allow air movement.

saves finding a storage space in the lockers. :thumb:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
PJ, sorry to read you don't like a bit of movement in bed....isn't that what bread trays are meant to facilitate?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
just a thought....this could be another use for the bread trays !!!!

lay bread trays, upside down, under the mattress to allow air movement.

saves finding a storage space in the lockers. :thumb:

Hope the mattress is thick and you dont want any hanky panky :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously mattresses get wet underneath because of body heat through the mattress onto a cold surface causes condensation, best way is some foam rubber underneath to insulate the mattress.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back