Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Thought we would unhook the mains electric and check the power in our batteries.

Turns out they are completely flat!! (This is because the over cooker light was left on last time we were here).

However, as we've been here 24 hrs now we thought the batteries should have been charged again from the EHU. Just checked the fuse which was blown (that would be why batteries haven't been charging I would think) and when I put a new fuse in it blows it straightaway.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in anticipation. :Smile:

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
If its the charger fuse thats blown could it be that as the batterys are totaly flat the charger is being overloaded trying to charge them ? I would try to charge them with an independant charger first to get them up to a working charge. If the've been left totaly drained for a long time you may need new to purchase new batterys.

John

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
If its the charger fuse thats blown could it be that as the batterys are totaly flat the charger is being overloaded trying to charge them ? I would try to charge them with an independant charger first to get them up to a working charge. If the've been left totaly drained for a long time you may need new to purchase new batterys.

John

Similar thing happened to me, flattened two leisure batteries good and proper. Don't discard them yet. It is worth, as I did with mine, leaving them on charge for three to four days. Trickle charger is best but I used a charger delivering 2 amps. I was lucky, managed to recover both of them. These deep cycle batteries will take some hammer unlike a standard car battery which would have been a bin job (not literally you environmentalists)

OP
OP
algill

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007

John

John - Thanks for the reply. It is the charger fuse that blew and I think you're right about the overload as it just kept blowing fuses. Now back home and brought the batteries back with me to charge. What would you consider a working charge? They've been left drained for 12 days.

"How big is that fuse ?

What battery capacity are you trying to charge ? "

Thanks Hilldweller - fuse is 30 amp and batteries are 2 x 110.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
John - Thanks for the reply. It is the charger fuse that blew and I think you're right about the overload as it just kept blowing fuses. Now back home and brought the batteries back with me to charge. What would you consider a working charge? They've been left drained for 12 days.

"How big is that fuse ?

What battery capacity are you trying to charge ? "

I would charge them up to 12 volts before putting them back on the van, it may be worth letting them stand after charging, measure the voltage then leave them for 24hours and measure them again to see if they are holding a charge.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi Guys. Just a silly thought - did you connect the charger the right way + to+ / - to -
If you get it wrong, the fuse will blow. If I am being to simplistic, i oppolergize

PK

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

OUCH. That's a good charger that can pop a 30A fuse.

Modern automatic chargers do attempt a recovery cycle you might get lucky.

Another dodge is to replace the fuse with a light bulb, a 21W will limit the current to a couple of amps and not blow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back