Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
1. Is the Fiat imobiliser, as fitted by the manufacturer, classed as category 2 thatcham approved ?

2. I am trying to update my insurance for the new van and so far it would seem that a lot of insurers are asking for a category 1 Thatcham approved alarm to be fitted.
Is there a list of Thatcham approved alarm systems ? - approved for motorhomes that is :Smile:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I believe the standard immobilisers fitted by Fiat to Ducato vans after 2002 do meet the Cat 2 standard, but its worth double checking for yourself and here is a link where you will find the information

Link Removed

The above link will also allow you to search for approved alarms, albeit when it comes to insurance it really is worth ringing around as they all have different requirements regarding alarms etc.

If your Fiat immobiliser does meet the Cat 2 standard then if you go for an alarm you will probably only need the Category 2-1 Electronic Alarm Upgrade. Albeit double check this as the information doesn't appear that straightforward but its worth checking as it could save you a few quid.

You can always ring Thatcham themselves and they will give you advice also approved installers, as its not just whether the alarm type is approved its also whether the installer is approved as well and I believe you need a certificate to confirm.

Hope that helps

1. Is the Fiat imobiliser, as fitted by the manufacturer, classed as category 2 thatcham approved ?

2. I am trying to update my insurance for the new van and so far it would seem that a lot of insurers are asking for a category 1 Thatcham approved alarm to be fitted.
Is there a list of Thatcham approved alarm systems ? - approved for motorhomes that is :Smile:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while i can understand the insurers insisting on an alarm they are practicaly ensuring they wont have to make a payout.
as alarms and immobilisers continue to improve and become even more secure the chance of theft will become practicaly nil negating the need for theft insurance altogether.....but they'll still charge you for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
doesn't stop the thick buggers from breaking glass to steal the reversing camera monitor though....

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Dellwood
I had a Cobra alarm upgrade on all doors and lockers and internal censors to upgrade from 2 to cat 1.
I feel safer with it, I know it wont stop every thing that might happen but its as far better than just an immobiliser. Pete

Ps I had it done done in darlington not far from you I think.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Happy New Year

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Darlington is not too far, in fact my "New" motorhome is coming from near there :Smile:
Whereabouts in "Darlo" did you get the alarm fitted ?

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs

:thumb: Hi Dellwood I live in Darlington, my motorhome is fitted with a cat 1 alarm on the insistence of my insurance co. I had it fitted at cleveland motorhomes.The guy who fits the alarms is called Andy Tuthill he is from the Sunderland area and works for himself I have used his services in the past and can recommend him, He comes to your home address if you want the only thing is i can`t remember his business name or tel no he used to trade under the name of laserjack but that is no longer in existence.I will try to find out his tel no for you and wiil re post it for you.

Ronny.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Make sure that when fitted you get a proper certificate as if you have any sort of claim it is the first thing your insurance company will ask for and if not thatcham approved cat1 you will not be insured

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:thumb: I had it fitted at cleveland motorhomes.The guy who fits the alarms is called Andy Tuthill he is from the Sunderland area and works for himself

probably the same guy who fitted the electric deadlocks to mine for a previous owner.:thumb:

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I managed to get a more competitive quote from another company who were not insistant that I had an alarm fitted, so I haven't bothered.
Seems a lot of money (circa £250) to save £30 on the premium :Smile:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I managed to get a more competitive quote from another company who were not insistant that I had an alarm fitted, so I haven't bothered.
Seems a lot of money (circa £250) to save £30 on the premium :Smile:

£250 to have an alarm fitted can save a lot of hassel and expense if some one breaks in to your van, a correctly fitted alarm will cover lockers hab door and movement sensors will triger it if someone does enter.
The imoboliser will only stop the van being started not your belonings being nicked.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I believe if you want a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm you need to ensure that not only that the Alarm make and model are registered with Thatcham but also the installer is on there approved list, I also think you should obtain a certificate upon completion.

I may have this wrong but i would suggest before you go ahead you give Thatcham a telephone call as they will be able to advise you.

Hope that helps

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The imoboliser will only stop the van being started not your belonings being nicked.

Let's be realistic, an alarm will not stop your belongings being nicked.

It might reduce the theft. But in some places it will not make a blind bit of difference.

Some form of door alarm when inside is essential so you don't waken up face to face with some skumbag.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Let's be realistic, an alarm will not stop your belongings being nicked.

It might reduce the theft. But in some places it will not make a blind bit of difference.

Some form of door alarm when inside is essential so you don't waken up face to face with some skumbag.

It did in my case Brian when the scumbags broke into my van when in storage, it alerted the on site owners and stopped anything being nicked.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It did in my case Brian when the scumbags broke into my van when in storage, it alerted the on site owners and stopped anything being nicked.

That's good.

But I don't want people to assume, "got alarm, I'm safe", when the reality is "got alarm, I'm safer".

Park you van in a nice idyllic location for a long walk and no alarm will stop you returning to a wrecked van. The Point is, make sure your money, passports etc are so well hidden or secured in a good safe that at least you return to find them.

And I repeat, some form of door alarm at night because this is a form of attack I've seen regularly on the forums.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
I seem to have a bit of a problem as i cannot find my alarm fitting certificate
How do i go about getting a copy ?
The alarm was fitted to my Hymer in 2002 by Brownhills

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo:Sad:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
You only have to stand in any supermarket car park to see how effective car alarms are. I cannot see a MH alarm being any different.

Everyone ignores them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back