Generator....Can this be done ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi all Ralph here,
This is my first post so be gentle with me

My question is. Can i use my genny to charge up the battery's using the on board charger and then run 12v leads from the genny direct to one of the battery's and charge this way as well ?

Not really a big fan of generators but until i get the solar panel on the new MH (blody weather) i will just have to put up with it, if away longer than a weekend without EHU. We use the Honda inverter type, so it runs quietly if only charging up anyway.

Many Thanks.....Ralph

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Hi all Ralph here,

My question is. Can i use my genny to charge up the battery's using the on board charger and then run 12v leads from the genny direct to one of the battery's and charge this way as well ?

Not really a big fan of generators but until i get the solar panel on the new MH (blody weather) i will just have to put up with it, if away longer than a weekend without EHU. We use the Honda inverter type, so it runs quietly if only charging up anyway.

Many Thanks.....Ralph

Hi, and welcome ,

I would think using the the genny on the ehu and using the onboard charger would be a lot quicker than using the genny as a charger, I doubt it would do both at once.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all Ralph here,

Many Thanks.....Ralph

really strange post this one !!!!!!

you say its your first post yet your profile info says you have made 55 posts???

antway, why would you want to charge another battery simultaniously using the 12v output.

never tried but i dont think you can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long

you say its your first post yet your profile info says you have made 55 posts???

antway, why would you want to charge another battery simultaniously using the 12v output.

Could have been BEV of the duo that posted previously :Smile:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

Hi Pappajohn
Yes it is my first post as it is a shared account and usually Bev who posts on the forum.

Back to my question. I have one battery bank on the MH and i am wondering if it is possible to use both the 240v and 12v outputs fro my genny at once to charge back to back.
240v through the mains input and to the on board charger.
And then using the 12v output straight to the same battery bank.
If possible to use the 12v output it will give me an extra 8A over and above what the on board charger will output.

Hope this makes sence.....Ralph
P.S This is all when NOT on EHU by the way

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Probably talking out my back side but,, doing it the way you are thinking about,, isn`t there the possibility of cooking the battery`s..

Just a thought.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Probably talking out my back side but,, doing it the way you are thinking about,, isn`t there the possibility of cooking the battery`s..

Just a thought.

This is why im asking as i dont know if its right and (an older and much more experienced :winky:) rally member told me it was possible.
I didnt want to do anything unless i checked it out with a few more people first.
Didnt want to damage anything.
Ralph

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I may be talking like Mo.

What you want to do is connect 2 charging sources to to the same battery at the same time. The onboard charger normally works by detecting the voltage of the battery I believe and if it dtects a low voltage it supplies a charge. If you connect a second charging source with a higher voltage than the battery ( it needs to be to charge the battery) won't that confuse the onboard charger into thinking that the battery is fully charged and therefore not supply any charge itself thus defeating the object.

I would just connect the genny to the EHU and let the charger do its stuff.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont know what make genny you have but i have a Kipor IG2600.
the manual states you can use both 12v DC and 230v AC simultaniously BUT if using the 12v output (at any time) the smart throttle MUST BE TURNED OFF.

this will mean the engine will rev to the limit set for the max 230v output.

just running the onboard charger and the 12v output will turn out very expensive....revving at full throttle rather than maybe a quarter or half throttle for the onboard charger alone.

if there is any problem/fault the overload warning light will come on and you must disconnect any load otherwise the genny may be damaged.

this applies to all Kipor IG series genny's and probably applies to Honda's as well as the circuitry is copied/stolen (delete appropriate) from Honda (allegedly)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I may be talking like Mo.

What you want to do is connect 2 charging sources to to the same battery at the same time. The onboard charger normally works by detecting the voltage of the battery I believe and if it dtects a low voltage it supplies a charge. If you connect a second charging source with a higher voltage than the battery ( it needs to be to charge the battery) won't that confuse the onboard charger into thinking that the battery is fully charged and therefore not supply any charge itself thus defeating the object.

I would just connect the genny to the EHU and let the charger do its stuff.

good point unless the charger is just a basic 13.8v DC power supply/transformer then if should charge regardless.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
i dont know what make genny you have but i have a Kipor IG2600.
We have a Honda IG200 , As i say we rarely use it. Only if we are away without EHU for longer than a weekend , we managed with the 87 watt Solar panel with the caravan . Its used mainly for Bev with the hair :Doh:
After reading these posts I understand how it may upset the onboard charger , by using the 12 v at the same time.
We will stick to using the onboard charger through the genny.
Glad i asked .
Off to the rub-a-dub now.
Thanks Ralph

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Ralph - what battery is installed in your Mizar. I was a bit dissapointed to find only a 75 amp unit in mine - but luckily with room for another :Smile:

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It will be fine to do it, just make sure you use a regulator from the DC output on the Generator.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph - what battery is installed in your Mizar. I was a bit dissapointed to find only a 75 amp unit in mine - but luckily with room for another :Smile:
Hi Dellwood
The Mizar has space under the front drivers seat for a battery size of about 85 AH.
There is also a floor mounted box which Will take a 110AH battery.I still need to sort
out the battery's on the MH as i would like to link at least four together.I will probably
install four 85AH battery's to keep them all the same size and AH. I would prefer to use 110s for the job but the under seat compartment wont take one that size. As we mainly rally and don't have EHU we need a good power supply for the Webasto diesel heating.
Just taken delivery this morning of some Sikaflex and primer so i will be installing the solar panel as soon as it the weather warms up.

Thanks.....Ralph

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
It will be fine to do it, just make sure you use a regulator from the DC output on the Generator.

Hi, so it could be done , without causing problems?
Could you give me some more detail regards the DC regulator, type cost Etc
thanks
Ralph

sorry cant THANK properly again. I keep getting logged out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi, so it could be done , without causing problems?
Could you give me some more detail regards the DC regulator, type cost Etc
thanks
Ralph

sorry cant THANK properly again. I keep getting logged out.

Just bumping this up again for Ralph
Bev

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Just bumping this up again for Ralph
Bev

Hi, on Planet Generators site, we sell a regulator big enough but it is not designed to be portable. I would look on somewhere like ebay or if not CPC possibly.
I dont know if any other funsters know where to get them?
Personally, you would be better to get a split charger and run the Gennie through the mains hook up point. That is what i would do.
The only time I have used straight 12v onto my batteries is at Southampton last year when at 8pm at night after a long day the Show van had a flat battery. It took a few good minutes to get the van going and that was with a Planet 1 which kicks out 8.3 amp.
Simon
ps you are more than welcome to ring and get some advice

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
oooooooh
I managed to thank you without being logged out then! Things are looking up.
I'm sure Ralph will Be in touch Simon.
Bev

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
As the signature says, I will help when I can :winky: