Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
HI
To all you motorhome skiers we have been skiing for 9 years and motorhomeing for 7 years .Have only been to scotland in our old motorhome for weekends but now we have a new one now (05 6 birth ) iam thinking about go to france now. we ski in the morzine and le gets area my wife likes the 8 runs she dose out off 230 or so lol.
But could do with some help on costing i no i can get the ferry for just under £70 the cheapest i found is £61 thats for a 25 ft .The toll i working on £90 0n each way has any one gon the non toll way or is it just to long .The fuel cost calais to morzine not sure about this it must £100 or more each way if i get off the ferry in the morning can you make the ski area by night time is it about 8 hour trip :thumb:?

At the camp site. we have a large 6 birth home and with a large garage this should be ok i think. were do you take your ski gear off does any one put any awing for this ?.snow chains i will come to that larter my son needs to go on the pc so need to go :thumb:

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
We've never been skiing with the motorhome before Terry but I know some campsites have a drying room where you can leave your kit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like you need to talk to Haganap (Paul) but i think they're in scotland ski-ing at the moment then heading off to france,,,ski-ing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
ski trip

We've never been skiing with the motorhome before Terry but I know some campsites have a drying room where you can leave your kit.

HI Claire
Its all up in the air about our ski trip to france trying to work out what to do and cost and my no 2 son who is 14 has just told me he does not what to come with us kids lol .
My wife has just said we should go and leave our 3 boys at home my oldest is 21 this year he could look after them but that would mean not taking the motorhome .
when we have been up scotland skiing for week ends its just been me and my boys the ski get put under the motorhome at night time and boots in the front do you and your family ski .:thumb:

HI pappajohn
Was hoping to pick Haganap brains about skiing in france :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
no John been to Scotland this year, they have just closed the road......

Ok Terry heres my bit, Ned who comes on here from time to time is also a wealth of info and I know you have seen the motorhome ski site.

However to answer your questions-

My ferry crossing is booked with sea france and cost us £40. Best way is a night rate sailing to save money. so we either would get a 6-30 over having stayed at Dover. Or better is to get a late nighter (after 10pm) and then head for an aire in France or even the French docks.

We never use toll roads. Les Gets is closer to where we go (marginally we have been to les gets) and the route I reccomend is Belgium, Luxembourg, Besencon area. Its about 11 hours so would be good to do in a couple of days. There are also ample of ski resorts that you would never of heard of that are well worth an afternoon. In fact you may not even get to les gets:thumb:

The other route is just staying off the tolls heading toward Reims Troys Dijon . DO NOT USE SAT NAV use a good map with sat nav for back up. we generally make it from Calais to the base of the alps in a day. we then do the mountain run in to our little resort in the morning.

alternately you can make the ski are by night time like you ask but there comes a massive disadvantages. Although sometimes it can only be a 10-30 mile mountain road drive at night when you are super tired you are putting yourself in danger. Better to wild camp or aire and leave in the morning. Its a long drive and to do it I would of though Tolls would be best.
As for fuel? well we allow a good £400 at 20mpg. (thats from Cheshire)

I can't remember what van you have Terry but just make sure its winterised properly not just because the company tells you it is.
As for drying? well yes there are drying rooms to be used on most sites but we will not stay on many. we intend on exploring a few aires we have found. As Im sure you will know when you are high in the mountain air, there is a crisp dryness not like the damp uk.

Some people put up awnings and pack snow around them to ensure that the cold keeps out. Offers extra room but we do not bother we just live like pigs for a couple of weeks. There is always a swimming pool to use anyway.

Snow chains are not a last resort but a first. Get some and get proficient with putting them on practically blind folded in a blizzard.

All good fun, things do and will go wrong, This year I have made a ski carrier to take 3 sets of skis and 3 snowboards on the roof soif you see anything lying on the M20 its mine:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no John been to Scotland this year, they have just closed the road......

knew you were going, didnt realise you'd been.

why do they put ski resorts where the roads get closed due to snow ?????:winky::ROFLMAO:
dont know how many times i heard the road was closed on radio T/A anouncements today
and the queen cant get to the shops from balmoral either.:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
knew you were going, didnt realise you'd been.

why do they put ski resorts where the roads get closed due to snow ?????:winky::ROFLMAO:
dont know how many times i heard the road was closed on radio T/A anouncements today
and the queen cant get to the shops from balmoral either.:RollEyes:

Weird that John but your dead right. This year when we went To Ski Scotland prior to Christmas it took us longer than what it would of done to get to the nearest French resort. I love Skiing Scotland in good snow but the a9 was closed (whilst we were on it) and then from Aviemore in to resort the road gets closed? Yet in France 2000m higher on a twisty mountain road they don't?
still thats another thread:whatthe::thumb:

OP
OP
Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
ski trip

HI Haganap
First off all thanks for taking the time to get back to me i hope your typing is quicker than mine .
My van is a rimmor rhd with water tank in side and i have 2 waste tanks outside and all piping in side .When we were in disney it went down poss -5 it was ok and yes i no the alps will be alot colder than this do you ever cover you waste tanks in any way or just let them drip into somthing .what do you do with your outside vents have you got any vent covers that i have read about .snow chains i do have some for my car which we use when we ski in the uk but are very cheap i did get a price off ebay for £50 for the motorhome were did you get yours from .what ski area near le gets do you go to and how big is it. Do you stay in one area or with having the motorhome do you drive to different ones and when do you go .
Many Thanks Terry

The Clangers

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
New
Have you looked at motorhomeski.com? You should get plenty of info from there.

David

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
HI Haganap
First off all thanks for taking the time to get back to me i hope your typing is quicker than mine .
My van is a rimmor rhd with water tank in side and i have 2 waste tanks outside and all piping in side .When we were in disney it went down poss -5 it was ok and yes i no the alps will be alot colder than this do you ever cover you waste tanks in any way or just let them drip into somthing .what do you do with your outside vents have you got any vent covers that i have read about .snow chains i do have some for my car which we use when we ski in the uk but are very cheap i did get a price off ebay for £50 for the motorhome were did you get yours from .what ski area near le gets do you go to and how big is it. Do you stay in one area or with having the motorhome do you drive to different ones and when do you go .
Many Thanks Terry

I should of looked at your profile to see that :Doh:
Yeah A rimor should be fine in the Alps. Any van will cope you just have to make a few adjustments including if required to be in thermals day in day and night . I never cover my waste tank as its a heated tank. I will turn it on and keep the water warm thus heat going back up the pipes. I have internal water tanks with all pipes inside.
We go to Pralognan to start (google it only small but enough to keep you happy for a few days but cheap lift passes) and then this year we will go back up to the Vosage mountains as at present there is plenty of snow, finding a resort or two on the way. A mixture of sites and aires will be the order of the day.
Shame you don't join us. we have a stroppy 13 yr old who also thinks motorhoming is gay and for sados untill of course he is skiing.:thumb:
We too have kids,

OP
OP
Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
HI Haganap
You never no when are you going skiing and what is your plan off attack is it 2 weeks you are going for .My wife is seeing how many holiday she has left .We have 3 boys my oldest is 21 this year and he works for me and a good skier my 2 outher boys 14 and 12 are ok at skiing go down most runs. If you have been to le gets have you been the swiss wall and i can just about do any run .My wife not to keen on it but will do green and blues .

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
HI Haganap
You never no when are you going skiing and what is your plan off attack is it 2 weeks you are going for .My wife is seeing how many holiday she has left .We have 3 boys my oldest is 21 this year and he works for me and a good skier my 2 outher boys 14 and 12 are ok at skiing go down most runs. If you have been to le gets have you been the swiss wall and i can just about do any run .My wife not to keen on it but will do green and blues .

Swiss wall !!!.Don't forget to take your passport,and a change of pants if it's v.icy.

I usually stop enroute to the Alps on the aires at St Dizier ,Lac du Der Chantecoq (possible flot bleu)

and by the lake at Nantua (far side of the lake from the main road,no water in winter).

Don't rely on water taps being in use.

Rick

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
HI Haganap

No Terry I haven't .
My plan this year (although it always changes) is to go to the Vosages and then on to les gets. I intend on staying on as many aires as possible even trying to not use a site at all. I have me genny, and theres allways a good atmosphere on the aires. The aire at les gets is meant to be really good. We are heading out on the 10th Feb (Night) and returning the follwing sat or sunday or even monday. I have taken te hkids out of school on the 11 + 12th. Its a french education trip after all :winky:

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Les Gets

Have a plan "B" for Les Gets ,it gets very busy.Their is a waste dump but the the flot bleu is not always in use for water,best to arrive with plenty.There is a local shop.

Local alternatives are Praz-de-Lys,also busy ,Sherpa store,or the Municipal site in Taninges(bus to slopes 1/2 hr) + Super U . Loads of other places but thoes two are the nearest. Feb is a busy time.

The Vosages is a bit of a detour if your only going for a week and will be heaving in Feb.

Rick

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks Rikkiboy.

We have been every year for the past 3 sometimes twice a year. We have always been to the same resort (pralognan) which we love and then found other places back on the way up. Fancied a change this year, hence les gets which we have been to previously but never the vosages. What about switzerland or Italy? we want something high, but we like to be able to ski from resort not have to cable up another 1500m, Also prefer much smaller resorts with a little off piste but a mixture of all colours, im not getting any younger but the kids are getting better,:thumb:

Already been to Scotland this year and that was ace but really fancying a change. Feb half term where we go is never too busy and we are often the only English which we actually like.::bigsmile:

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
There is good skiing in les Gets and the aire is right at the foot of the piste/lift. Check out their lift passes online for deals and areas covered(Morzine ect).It's a nice town ,about 1/2 hr uphill walk.Plenty of other areas within an hour or so drive.
If you decide on Switzerland check out prices first and they are not so keen on shall we say "random" parking up.
Bon voyage.
Rick

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Back to Pralognan it is then. A great resort that we know very well.

OP
OP
Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
No Terry I haven't .
My plan this year (although it always changes) is to go to the Vosages and then on to les gets. I intend on staying on as many aires as possible even trying to not use a site at all. I have me genny, and theres allways a good atmosphere on the aires. The aire at les gets is meant to be really good. We are heading out on the 10th Feb (Night) and returning the follwing sat or sunday or even monday. I have taken te hkids out of school on the 11 + 12th. Its a french education trip after all :winky:

HI haganap
I no the aire at les gets very well never stayed in my motorhome but did stay up the road past the Sherpa store in a flat (£150 for the week) i think takes about 20 to 30 motorhomes and i think there was car park next to it as well its a good spot under the 6 man lift .not sure what we are doing yet will let you no before you go if i might get up there

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
hi terry

hope you enjoy your stay whatever you decide on

why not take the motorhome and rent the flat that way hagnap and yourself can have power hook up and water out of window and use your chemical waste unit in flat
dont forgrt long leads and hoses !!!!

enjoy the break as not sure yet where we are heading now have got tj to consider , maybe praa sands for break

could have done with your services the other day to deleaf our lawn , ride on would not touch it so used honda mower to pick them up , hours later job done

if you do end up meeting paul and crew do not expect a early night as is a party animal , but you will have a great time !
:thumb::Eeek::thumb::Eeek::thumb::Doh:

OP
OP
Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi

HI Robin
How is tj going on. our pet insur is with tesco i think i bet spencer is loving him .i try to avoid to much party with skiing its no good skiiing with an hangover it did happen the last time i went to morzine one night only mind you i did not speak to about 12

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
hi terry

tj is doing superb , we all adore him but spencer treats him like his best friend and loves him so much , such a good dog , so funny at 12 weeks old and learning so fast, cannot wait until he can go out for walks end of next week

say hi to all the family from us and will try to catch up somewhere later in year , maybe even back at disney

do try to tie up with paul ( hagnap ) as he is good fun ( top funster not factster )

:thumb:

Attachments

• IMGP1543.jpg
    IMGP1543.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 5

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries