Are there any Brit motorhomers in Finland ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have met a few plucky Brit motorhomers above and below the arctic circle in Norway and Sweden recently but seen none on aire sites or the roads in 2/3 of the Finland. Not sure why when this applies

One may stay or set up camp temporarily in the countryside, a reasonable distance from homes, pick mineral samples, wild berries, mushrooms and flowers (as long as they are not protected species). One may fish with a rod and line (only still waters), row, sail or use a motorboat on waterways (with certain restrictions), and swim or bathe in both inland waters and the sea. One can walk, ski and ice fish on frozen lakes, rivers and the sea. Income from selling picked berries or mushrooms is tax free.

The language is fine as most Finns speak english and dont expect you to decipher a language made up of far to many vowels and umlauts! In the north I have free camped next to countless empty (of people) lakes. Great place to camp, just make sure you have mozzie repellant.
Hopefully see another brit enjoying Finlands emptyness. One province I visited had 1.5 people per square kilometer, imagine that......

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
I think if you check further - yes you can camp - but not take motor vehicles - such as motorhomes
Though the Finns are fairly tolerant on Everymans rights
Yep the mozzies certainly keep people away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Passed through Finland (Father Christmas Village) a week ago on our way up to Nordkap. Hardly seen any Brits at all since we left Calais 3 weeks ago until couple of days ago on Lofoten when we counted at least six passing by us in the pouring rain.

Currently at Mo I Rana (Norway) heading south tomorrow.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I think if you check further - yes you can camp - but not take motor vehicles - such as motorhomes
Though the Finns are fairly tolerant on Everymans rights
Yep the mozzies certainly keep people away
Not had a problem with camping by lakes, laybys, picnic areas, nature reserves, parks and pieces of unused land etc!!

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Passed through Finland (Father Christmas Village) a week ago on our way up to Nordkap. Hardly seen any Brits at all since we left Calais 3 weeks ago until couple of days ago on Lofoten when we counted at least six passing by us in the pouring rain.

Currently at Mo I Rana (Norway) heading south tomorrow.
The Lofoten islands, probably one of the most beautiful places in Europe, we were there a few weeks ago......enjoy.
My tip, turn left off the ferry go to the carpark at the end of the island overnight and enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Hi, we were there in mid May ..... in / around Helsinki for 5 days in the MH for my daughters wedding.
Didn't see a single GB motorhome though till we got back to Stockholm.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I notice there are no Finnish campsites on camper contact . Are there enough around?
We'll be crossing to Helsinki and cruising around there.
Has anyone else done this?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The Lofoten islands, probably one of the most beautiful places in Europe, we were there a few weeks ago......enjoy.
My tip, turn left off the ferry go to the carpark at the end of the island overnight and enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Bookmarked!

Can't wait to see the Lofoten islands but it'll be August(ish) by the time we get there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back