Sikaflex 252 (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Im told that Sikaflex 252 is the best stuff to use to attach solar panel brackets to the roof without resorting to drill ffixings. But at £20 a tube I am begining to wonder if this is the case ? Anyone used anything else eg Sikaflex 512 (£9) which seems according to the blurb to tick all the boxes.

CHEERS IN ADVANCE

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
I used 221 on my van conversion, used it to glue timber battens to the metalwork, they are solid and holding a decent weight to date.

I bought 12 tubes via ebay for £30 delivered, you could use what you need and resell?

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
I also use Sikaflex 221 less than £7.00 a tube :Smile: Never lost a solar panel or satellite dish off the roof :ROFLMAO:

Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
I use Sikaflex 521 from E-Bay supposed to be what the caravan manufacturers and repairers use. Great stuff. Never had a problem. Used it to re-bed the roof rails.:Smile:

nickit

Free Member
Jan 6, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hi I'm new around here so I hope this isnt breaking the rules ?

Here is a link to o'learys where I bought sikaflex for £7.50.

Link Removed

Under adhesives

Works a treat!

Nick

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
No Probs Nick.

I've always found O'leary's very good at supplying what I order.

Steve.

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Sikaflex

Hi,
We use it offshore for repairing small boats and the like, seems to be the best you can get:Smile::Smile:

JJ

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi I'm new around here so I hope this isnt breaking the rules ?

Here is a link to o'learys where I bought sikaflex for £7.50.

Link Removed

Under adhesives

Works a treat!

Nick

Get 2 on ebay for £11.60 (see here 150387512894) then sell the other for £11.60 inc post - cost you nowt. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I USED 72 TUBES of POLYSEAL 101 & 102 in the construction of my self build
http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/ --- now I think it has changed to Polyseal 40
excellent stuff and every bit as good as sikaflex :thumb: I bought it from O'learys at £2 a tube.IF you manage to get some at a good price give me a PM as I would have no problem buying another 5 / 6 boxes and saving it for my next project.Nothing I have stuck with it has moved or leaked :thumb:
terry

tinyusrv

Free Member
Jan 15, 2010
Funster No
Hi,
First post..... wondering how you reseal the tube if you don't use all of it.
Great forum !

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi tinyusrv,
welcome to the site, its very addictive. You'd be better going on the "introduce yourself" bit for a propper welcome though ::bigsmile: you've been missed on this !

We used sikaflex 221 to fix the solar panel to the caravan roof. Brilliant stuff . You must make sure you use the primer (210T £3.22 ) before bonding though.
We managed to prize the panel off when we pxd the caravan for our MH in December. Took ages to get it off with a stanley blade.
We are waiting for the weather to warm up , before fixing it on the MH as sikaflex has a working temp of 10 deg.
It also has a 9 month shelf life, so unless your planning on using it all within that time, once opened , theres no point re- sealing it.
Ralph usually sticks a nail or screw in the end of his silicone tubes, so you could do that , with the Sikaflex i guess.
We get ours from www.aireandsun.co.uk
Infact we got the Kyocera solar panel , regulator and mounting kit from him as well.
Highly recommended:thumb:
Bev

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, once opened Sikaflex will cure overnight :cry:so make sure you get everything stuck/ sealed or it will be wasted.If you leave the nossel on then put on a new one you may get another day out of it
terry

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Used Sikaflex to glue on a spoiler to the roof (to direct wind over the overcab bed rooflight) - Its been on for three years now without any problems at all!! Would highly recommend it.

Dipstick

Free Member
Sep 11, 2009
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2007
We used Sikaflex 221 to fix an 85 watt solar panel without any screws on our PVC. Used 4 aluminium plates each a footprint of 200x75mm.

Each plate drilled 10mm in two places to allow a mechanical location to form. Degrease with meths or petrol and abrade both surfaces with 200 grit abrasive sheet and warm with a hairdryer to ensure no moisture.

One 300ml tube is sufficient and will give a thickness of 3-4mm. Allow 24 hours per 1mm thickness of adhesive for curing before driving. No need for fancy primers or curing agents doing it this method.

Bought our tube of Sika from ebay £3 with a short shelf life remaining.

Worked well for us, good luck.

Pete

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Sikaflex 221 is certainly a strong adhesive, but there are more things to be considered that just attaching the solar panel.

If you mount the panel on hinges so that it can be tilted up to the sun you can increase the output of the panel by approx 1/3.

If you have a aluminum skin on the roof of your MH you don't won't the panel bouncing up and down pulling the aluminium with it.

Should you go for the "stick down method" it can be difficult to remove if you change you mind at a later date with the position of the panel.

I have found that by far the best solution, all be it more expensive is to fit a roof rack to the MH then fit the panel/s to the roof rack.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back