Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
My 2008 Ducato has been terrible in the recent weather, even using 5th gear to get traction. I am thinking of investing in M&S tyres, does anyone use them on their van? If tyre wear isn't that bad they should come in handy throughout the year on wet grass, beaches etc.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
As with most things in life, there's complications.

Expect an increase in fuel consumption and road noise.

Expect a decrease in comfort and roadholding when the roads are not covered in snow.

You pays yer money and yer takes yer chances.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Bear in mind the better the grip off road the poorer the grip on tarmac - generally off road biased tyres wear quicker than normal tyres and are more expensive - I am not saying don't go there but be well aware of the very real down sides before you invest also bear in mind that you really need to consider how you are going to cope with a puncture - as you would only fit such tyres to the rear drive axle - you really need to carry two spares to remain truly legal - unless you are prepared for this I suggest you consider Pappajohns 'patented' bread tray bottoms as a solution or other things that can be laid down as a grip track. If your vehicle is a front wheel drive you really should not consider mud and snow tyres it will drive like a pig.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Used Mud/Snow tyres a few years ago on a commercial, absolutely fantastic on the snow, no off road use so can't say much about mud.
Removed them as soon as winter was over.
They were a bit noisier but the usage was mostly short distances a low speeds so handling was not an issue
:thumb:

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Mud and Snow Tyres

We have Snow tyres on our Burstner A Class we bought them last winter to tour France and Austria (Legal Requirement in Austria )
We left them on the van all winter then changed back for the Spring. we have got them back on now just returned from Austria and German Alps and off to French Alps at end of Feb, and to date we have not had to use snow chains although we do have to carry them in the Alps.
They were not cheap but have made no difference to Fuel economy we still get just under 30mpg at a steadty 50 mph
THe tyres we have are Vredestein Comtrac Winter 109R :thumb:

foxyscot

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Besse
Exp
2 years used to tow van
AT Tyres

I have used both mud and snow tyres and all terrain tyers, on vehicles from vans/Pickups for on road and off road use.
Road noise and vehicle handling is the main difference you will see,
the mt tyers do not handle so well on wet roads,fuel consumtion can also suffer

The AT tyers may be a better bet for a better all round use this would save having to change from winter to summer use, not sure on price

blucamp2

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
Funster No
HI guys I think MS is German snow and slush not mud
regards phil

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
personally, I would not bother. They have them abroad in areas of lots of snow, winter and summer tyres.
Just find some fat people to sit in the cab when driving to keep the front weight down:winky:

and no im not offering Im on Blisters diet.:ROFLMAO:

brian55

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi asked for help in Feb about van shower and got great help thanks.

Now looking into buying an extra set of front tyres for the winter as going up to Scotland in Feb again.
Last year I had bought SILKNET 80 snow sock they were great and got me out of trouble three times but can only be used on ice only or snow only any patches of gravel or tarmac in between chews them up and £50 a pair.
Looking into either front snow or mud tyres on spare rims to change over myself for winter trips just for the front drive wheels extra grip needed of road and snow etc.
Also what about the weight on these tyres and camper motor home compatible etc.
Peugeot Boxer Autocruise Starfire 2005 2.2hdi
Thanks

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Don’t change just the front. Snow tyres on all wheels required otherwise you will upset the handling and risk the back overtaking the front! Added to which, it may well be illegal to fit to front only and certainly against all advice.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I know it's an old thread but, I would say fit Four seasons tyres as they will be better in the snow than M+S you can use these all year round without problems as long as they are the same or higher load rating and of course the same size.

Martin

And to add to JL's comment, a full set would be best for sure.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We changed our Bridgestone commercial tyres for Maxxis M&S, same load ratings and the noise rating for the tyre is lower than the Bridgestone, 92 down to 91 from memory with no adverse effects (Twin wheeler).

brian55

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I have 3 mitchelen agilis camper and 1 continental vanco camper fitted at the moment I go through a set of front tyers every three or four years as allot of weight about 3.2 ton I guess total vehicle weight.
Not sure what these tyers are rated at for winter just camper m&s do not know.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I try and avoid snow and mud,,,This summer was perfect,,BUSBY:)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Old thread at the top I realise, but some dodgy advice there!

I've got Michelin Agilis Camping M&S tyres all round on my Ducato all year round, and they're absolutely fine - wear OK, not that noisy, not exactly the ultimate off road tyre but they do help a bit of soft grass. Absolutely agree that you must change all 4 tyres - M&S on driven axle only is dangerous.

As for M&S tyres being noisier - depends on many factors. On my car I swap wheels between summer and winter tyres, the winter tyres give a better ride and are quieter!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
At MOT time I discovered that my front tyres (Conti Vanco) were 10y old :oops:. (Rear wheel drive)

I've changed rear (3y old) to front and fitted Yokohama WY01 (M+S) on the rear [£90 each, fitted etc].

So far (300 miles) there has been no noticeable increase in noise and no problems with grip (only dry roads): also I haven't used a tank of fuel so I don't know about economy BUT I was told that each step in the ratings ladder equates to 1% difference. I suspect that the aerodynamics of my "brick" will be more important than the tyres :rolleyes:.

I appreciate that if I get a puncture in one of them then there may be a question about the legality of my spare but it's only going to be on for a few miles unless I'm rushing for the ferry ;).

When I replace the front ones (not in 7y time) I shall go with M+S all round including a new spare.

Gordon

PS The 10y olds had loads of tread and no visible cracks etc so I will am unlikely to be replacing tyres because they are worn out. So I'm not going to be purchasing 2 sets plus an extra set of wheels.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you tour in Europe between October and March I think Tyres with the snowflake mark are required in Germany and Austria at least.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've fitted Kumho winter portran tyres to my last 2 mh .
Absolutely excellent far better than continentals and all the others we've had.
Use them all year round. In snow in france and Morocco and through the desert and this summer's heat with no problems. The grip on tarmac is great .didn't notice any difference in road noise or mpg .
These tyres have 13mm when new a lot more that normal tyres and on my size
225 / 75 / /16 have 121 R walls they really help the cornering a lot less roll ...
Check Openeo web site around £95 each .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back